Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2015 - Spidermom's bun

Length
    12/42/48+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: June 2015 - Spidermom's bun

Quote Originally Posted by Panth View Post
    Wow! I think this is going to be my new go-to style. It holds much better than my usual no-braid bun (nautilus) and also doesn't seem to have the tangle risk that that has either. Thanks, whoever decided to choose this one (and thanks Spidermom for inventing it).
    That is exactly what I thought when I tried this bun. I had been wearing a cinnabun with spin pins forever, for lack of any other reliable, quick and comfortable bun. Now it's been weeks since I used my spin pins :O
    http://s24.postimg.org/bk9mfxret/Segment_3maart2013_25sept2014_2.png

Length
    ~Wst/TBL/~Cls
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Why didn't I ever learn this bun before?? For some reason I was doing with three fingers but it kept turning out huge and lopsided because all the thickness was in the first loop - much better wrapping around only two fingers!

Wavy, wurly, sometimes curly; on my way to healthier, longer hair!

~Waist → Hip BCL TBL Goal: TBL+ V hem

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Wow TrapperCreekD; that is really gorgeous with your hair.

Length
    CL/APL/happy
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

My hair isn't long enough to do it.
    " And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"- Nietzche

Spatially Disoriented Charybdis's Avatar
    Length
    chin/tbl/clsc
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Spidermom, how long did you find your hair had to be to do this bun successfully? Since you're a iii, I figure the amount of length you needed will be a good guide for me. My length is currently brushing TBL when dry, and I still couldn't make this style work after several tries -- I'm trying to figure out if I don't have enough length given my thickness, or if I'm just doing it wrong!

Length
    CL/APL/happy
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
    Spidermom, how long did you find your hair had to be to do this bun successfully? Since you're a iii, I figure the amount of length you needed will be a good guide for me. My length is currently brushing TBL when dry, and I still couldn't make this style work after several tries -- I'm trying to figure out if I don't have enough length given my thickness, or if I'm just doing it wrong!
    OK, I got it to work. What I did that made it for me: After wrapping around my fingers twice, I brought the ends up over the top of the base, then around and down. Before I brought the ends down, like I would continue the looping, but wrapped starting at the bottom. HTH.
    " And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"- Nietzche

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Well I tried it and don't know quite what I did, but got this result:

Which I thought was really pretty but not what it was supposed to look like.
    So I tried again and got this:

Which seems to be more like it, as far as I can tell. It holds very well and seems like a rounder version of an infinity bun.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    chin/tbl/clsc
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Thanks, Auni! I finally did get it to work this morning, but the only way I could do so was by wrapping the loops around a single finger -- otherwise I don't have enough length in the ends to wrap far enough around the base to hold the whole thing together. By making the loops a tiny bit smaller, I could eke out enough length at the ends wrap them far enough around, and am using a TT to secure. The shape of the end result looks a lot like Sarahlabyrinth's second picture, except not as neat. Thick hair just gobbles length when you make any kind of loop or braid!

Sarahlabyrinth, is your length still about 39" as mentioned in your signature? I believe that's about where mine is too (long torso), although I need to remeasure. Your thickness looks similar to mine, which is why I'm wondering how much length you have making up the bun. Also, I like your first "mistake" bun!

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Charybdis, yes, I would certainly be within a half inch of 39" at any rate. I won't measure again until the end of the month. Thick hair does indeed eat up the length when making buns. I find myself wishing for another two feet of hair so I could do more interesting buns with it!

I must see if I can do my mistake bun again - it is pretty!

Edit: I have managed to do a video on how to do my mistake bun but the lighting is poor so I will re do it tomorrow and put it here
    Last edited by Sarahlabyrinth; June 10th, 2015 at 06:15 AM.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    chin/tbl/clsc
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Thanks for the info, Sarahlabyrinth! My bun from this morning is still up, with a few hairpins added to keep the ends tucked in, so it seems to have staying power! I will have to try the loop-around-one-finger method again and see if I can make it work again, or if this is a fluke. (My bunning skills are far from stellar.)