Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hair fork causing damage?

Length
    neck/mbl/Tbl
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default hair fork causing damage?

I got my first hair fork to try to stop using pony tails but whenever I put it in my hair I hear a noise that sounds like my hair is ripping or breaking off. Am I tearing my hair with the fork? What should I do to prevent damage when using one?

"The dreams of childhood- its airy fables,its graceful, beautiful, humane, impossible adornments of the world beyond; so good to be believed in once, so good to be remembered when outgrown..." - Charles Dickens
    el~nl~sl~cbl~apl~bsl~mbl~wl~hl

Length
    0-2/37/42
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Default Re: hair fork causing damage?

What kind of fork is it (do you mayhaps have a picture of it or of something similar)? Wood/metal/plastic?

It sounds like it isn't smooth enough, or that the tines are placed too close together... It might also be that the fork material doesn't agree with your hair. I can't wear my holly fork, for example, my hair detests the thing. :S
    ...Did anybody say purple?!
    CBL APL MBL Waist Hip TBL Classic

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It's certainly still possible. Definitely make sure the fork is smooth and not snagging. You also might have to loosen your updo a tiny bit to accommodate the space that the fork will take up. I can do tighter styles with forks with thin tines than I can with forks with broad tines, and need to adjust accordingly.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Pixie/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I have been wondering if forks could cause damage...I haven't bought any yet as my hair is only CBL. But this gives me a bit of knowledge for when I choose which one to buy.....and I plan to do that soon. And I would like to make one, too.

Length
    15/37/42
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I totally understand this sound. I hear it with any hair stick. I use wooden ones and I get this sound even with the smoothest ones.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

How long is your hair, and how much tension is there on your hair? That's the key issue. If there's a lot of tension in there, chances of you hitting a hair or a few hairs with the tines and cracking/breaking a hair - it's real.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Try making sure your updo isn't too tight. Also, try a nautilus, you can slide the stick/fork in that one without much pressure on the hair.

Length
    Waist/Clasc/?
    Type
    3a/M/ii

It used to happens to me when I was younger with stick and recently with one of popular vendor's forks here until someone pointed out the tension bit and also to wiggle the fork a little instead of sticking straight through. After sometime this becomes automatic and you don't break hair strands.

Not a fan of labels. missblueeyes's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I think your buns are too tight. I've had the same problem until recently. I think there's a picture of one of my super tight buns in my album - cringeworthy. Must've broken some hairs doing that one. It takes some time to get the tension quite right but you'll get there.
    Chin | APL | BSL | Waist | Hip | BCL | TBL

Length
    CBL/MTL/Knee?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Wosie View Post
    It might also be that the fork material doesn't agree with your hair. I can't wear my holly fork, for example, my hair detests the thing. :S
    I'm glad it's not just me; I just could not get along with the holly fork I had, I always heard a hair snap. Wonder why, because it's bendier than other woods or something?

Echoing everyone else's advice: looser buns, wiggle the fork and go slow as you insert it.
    {free of stress about length gains}
    47.5" of hair (4/9/20)
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com