Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just looking for some "bad" haircut consoling...

Length
    sl/Waist/Hip

Default Just looking for some "bad" haircut consoling...

Hi there, Its another classic tale of a haircut gone...not so good.

It wasn't a hair stylist, it was me; and while its not exactly terrible, I'm not fond of it and its really bothering me. I did the ponytail layering method, cutting off no more than one inch (Or a less), in about three different sections, and then the bang area. (I did however split hair from the middle of my head up in order to not touch the length, and so glad i did). The layers in the back are subtle and i think probably quite nice, adding some needed movement as i am a wurly and its gotten very weighed down.

The front bothers me.

To me its too blunt for curls which are now curlier, even know i kept them below chin length. Really I am not sure if im just distressed because its a change I'm unsure about and I identify myself by my hair, or if the cut is actually something I don't like. It also feels thinner to me (Which I reeeaally don't want) But I'm incredibly certain this is all in my head, stemming from a wreck job by a stylist a yr ago. Either way Iv'e got quite a bit of anxiety in the back of my mind and just though I'd pop on here to talk it out if you don't mind. :) Maybe share your haircut disappointments? Anyone else cut their own hair without the happiest of results?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Just looking for some "bad" haircut consoling...

Give it 2 weeks... That'll give it some time to soften and it'll give you some time to get over the "it's a change" feelings.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Quote Originally Posted by ThisDreamer View Post

It wasn't a hair stylist, it was me; and while its not exactly terrible, I'm not fond of it and its really bothering me. I did the ponytail layering method, cutting off no more than one inch (Or a less), in about three different sections, and then the bang area. (I did however split hair from the middle of my head up in order to not touch the length, and so glad i did). The layers in the back are subtle and i think probably quite nice, adding some needed movement as i am a wurly and its gotten very weighed down.

The front bothers me.

To me its too blunt for curls which are now curlier, even know i kept them below chin length. Really I am not sure if im just distressed because its a change I'm unsure about and I identify myself by my hair, or if the cut is actually something I don't like. It also feels thinner to me (Which I reeeaally don't want) But I'm incredibly certain this is all in my head, stemming from a wreck job by a stylist a yr ago. Either way Iv'e got quite a bit of anxiety in the back of my mind and just though I'd pop on here to talk it out if you don't mind. Maybe share your haircut disappointments? Anyone else cut their own hair without the happiest of results?
    It is probably not as bad as you think. If it bothers you, I would find a trusted stylist to trim it for you. I found my stylist by asking another guy, who had great long hair, who trimmed his hair? You could do the same by asking women you know, with hair that you admire or men. I tried to trim my hair in junior high and it did not go well. I could never trim my own hair and get it right. My own hair dresser claims it takes her hours to trim her own hair. She has been trimming hair for 35 years.

Length
    23/32/41
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I agree to give it a few weeks. I sometimes end up with cuts that look too blunt and they usually soften up and look more subtle after a few weeks.

Length
    sl/Waist/Hip

I've never wanted time to move so fast, lol. I know it prob wont bother me so bad 2 weeks from now, and ill probably be Ok with a little subtle trimming to fix the bluntness by then. I just have to keep telling myself: "It was an inch. An inch will grow back fairly quickly."

At this point I really just don't trust any stylists. That and coupled with the fact that it cost money, I just can't see it happening right now. There is a gal I think did my hair quite well, but she is $50 for a simple trim.

Length
    sl/Waist/Hip

I guess what bothers me too, is that its not just sort of blunt, it's also quite thick compared to other parts of my hair. So blunt and thick. Ehhh.....

Length
    BSL/BCL/BCL
    Type
    1c/M/iii

It's going to be all right. I too used the compact cut method and wasn't happy with the results. (I even created a thread about it). I did it about a month ago, and after a little subtle fixing and time, I feel so much better about it. And I cut 2-3 inches! It's true the hair needs time to settle and the blunt ends to soften, then your hair will start to lay better and also you will get used to how it looks. I still wish I hadn't done it, but I am no longer disturbed about it and in fact don't notice it much now.

(I don't want to imply the compact cut method is bad, in fact I've seen many beautiful results. Just wasn't the look I wanted after all.)

Length
    BSL/BCL/BCL
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I guess what bothers me too, is that its not just sort of blunt, it's also quite thick compared to other parts of my hair. So blunt and thick. Ehhh.....
    This was my problem too. It was like there were sections that didn't actually layer, it just looked chopped and not blended. I took those sections and brushed then as vertically up as my arms could reach and then very lightly layered those parts at an angle. I'm sorry I can't explain it better. Basically the way I've seen stylists do it. It helped so much. But if you don't understand what I'm saying I would suggest leaving it alone or finding a trustworthy stylist to fix it.

Length
    bald/pixie/waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii

The front bothers me.

To me its too blunt for curls which are now curlier, even know i kept them below chin length. Really I am not sure if im just distressed because its a change I'm unsure about and I identify myself by my hair, or if the cut is actually something I don't like. It also feels thinner to me (Which I reeeaally don't want) But I'm incredibly certain this is all in my head, stemming from a wreck job by a stylist a yr ago. Either way Iv'e got quite a bit of anxiety in the back of my mind and just though I'd pop on here to talk it out if you don't mind. Maybe share your haircut disappointments? Anyone else cut their own hair without the happiest of results?
    Hey, think of it this way. You've got hair at the end of it!

I'll tell you my most recent haircut disappoint. I shaved my head in December and had finally grown about 3 inches of hair, when I decided to buzz the sides and go all Rihanna.

It... did not go well. I wound up looking like something out of Happy Days. It was so bad I ultimately decided it was better to shave it all off again than it was to suffer through months of humiliation at the hands of my god-awful haircut.

It's all good -- I found it funny pretty quickly. But it was awfully sad-looking, and resulted in me being sheered a second time.

So, take pleasure in my misfortune!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yeah, definitely wash it after a cut. It will fall differently and show the results only then.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)