Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Haircut!!! Big chop!!! What do you think?

The magical Forest In David Bowie's Tights
    Length
    TBL/BSL/APL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Question Haircut!!! Big chop!!! What do you think?

Hey All! Some of you will still remember me I haven't died.

I'm planning to change up my hair. It reached a little longer then Classic length this past winter. I had it trimmed to lower back in March, but now I'm planning an entire overhaul.

Taking care of it while pregnant is hard (I'm 7 months); it knots itself within a day, and dreadlocks itself, create nests, etc... I also just sometimes am too exhausted to brush it (I have a 3 year old who I chase around all day). It's also getting curlier, and with each pregnancy it does. So... I figured if I'm not taking care of it now, I might as well chop it, rather than deal with the agony of brushing it out every few days.... it just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

To be honest, I'm also growing out black hair dye (that a professional stylist oopsed on a year ago... black is NOT light brown), and have been demi-dying my hair so I can eventually grow out the permanent dye (I have about 3inches of demi-dye now).

So I booked myself with a celebrity hair stylist in Toronto (Bill Angst, he also writes for a fashion mag in Canada) for three weeks from now, and will hopefully be hacking most of it off (unless he doesn't think it's a good idea... in which case I will trust him).

Here's what I'm considering going for:
    If you have Pinterest, this is my board of what I'll be going for.
    If you don't have Pinterest, here's a pic here.

The picture in the avatar is me.
    What do you guys think? Will it suit me?

I have such thick hair... and it's so curly/wavy that there's not many styles that will work on me. It's also very dry. I also wanted something that would grow out nicely, and that I could still stick in a top knot/bun.

HOWEVER, I'm also terrified because I haven't had my hair that short since I looked like a boy at 13.... and am worried about looking WAY too old. I like looking young- just not 10 years younger. Looking 23 would be great though. I could deal with that (23 is not my age, I'm closer to 30).

So... I just need thoughts and opinions... and support... Since chopping is a huge deal to me, and to many of you.

Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Curly Girl Method!! Longest Length: Bum Length Current: BSL Goal: Shorter

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Haircut!!! Big chop!!! What do you think?

Hi!

I do remember you, actually when I saw your name I thought to myself "isn't that the girl who reminds me of laura prepon from orange is the new black". Yes it is haha

Good to see you back. And I have to quietly admit that as much as I love growing out hair and long lengths, it's a breath of fresh air and a fun change when someone posts about cutting and a new hair style. I think it'll suit you and you can always grow it out if you don't like it.

I know that many will tell you about the two week rule but I'm certain you've already considered that and it sounds like you know what you're getting into and you want to do this. So embrace it and have a lovely time with the celebrity stylist!!

24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32 - 33 - 34

Length
    CL/APL/happy
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

As a mother of 3, I can sympathize! That being said, I found that cutting my hair shorter, which I did after the birth of my first son, required more up keep. The length your going for could still be pulled back though, so that's a plus! Your very pretty and the cuts you posted should look nice on you! Personally, I would get a cut I could still throw in a bun or braid, but that's just me and my wavy, curly, whurly mane.
    " And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"- Nietzche

Length
    SL/KL/Term
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii

You have a very pretty face. I think you can make pretty much any hairstyle look good on you to be honest. With thick hair, I wouldn't go too short (wider than the length is something I'd try to avoid).
    The pictures you posted all look very nice on the individuals, but I guarantee they took lots of styling (time and product). If you're too tired to brush out your hair, I don't think you're going to want to spend time styling a shorter style. I'd be sure to discuss this with your stylist to make sure whatever cut you get is "wash and go."

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    Here's what I'm considering going for:
    If you have Pinterest, this is my board of what I'll be going for.
    If you don't have Pinterest, here's a pic here.

The picture in the avatar is me.
    What do you guys think? Will it suit me?
    I think you'd be better to try and find someone with your thickness and texture (2b) and find examples of that short. This is 1c hair at the most, and fine, rather thinnish hair. It will look *totally* different on you. It might look the same when leaving the stylist (because they'll have it look like that), but... I'd try and find your texture/thickness in that length.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Hi Amber_Maiden. Long time no see!
    As a stylist myself, I think what you are aiming for will work nicely with your face, but the result will be different than most pics will show you because your hair is so thick.. I am betting Bill Angst will be able to do magic. It sounds as though you really need a cut to be able to handle your hair right now. The good thing about hair, it grows steadily so long as you are healthy.

It's a hard thing trying to get die hard longhair out of my head, because I am still "ALL FOR THE LENGTH!" That said, I think based on what you're saying that this cut makes sense for you, and I hope you LOVE the result. You are definitely a striking beauty and of course a hair cut isn't going to change that!
    Lady Calaelen of Eden's Nook Designer of Fetching Forks in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    CBL/MTL/Knee?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Hey! No lie, I was just thinking about my early LHC days and wondered what happened to you. Glad to see you back.

I think any haircut would look good on you, and the examples on your board are very cute, though they might not look 100% the same on your head. I don't think it would make you look old at all! I think it would be an easy style to grow out, and would get rid of a lot of dyed length. Maybe since your hair is thick and has some curl you could get it cut a little longer, to make sure that you can still put it in a bun like you said? Like maybe APLish rather than shoulder? Though I understand wanting to take advantage of that salon visit.

Do what makes you happy and keep us updated!
    47.5" of hair (10/4/20)
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

If your hair is very thick - maybe err on the longer side.
    Many of the pinterest photos look very heatstyled - and I'm guessing you won't want to spend time doing that.
    Unless your hairstylist is very good with thinning out thick hair, maybe go for BSL (at that length, even thick hair will not pouff out and have shape), and you could then go shorter if you preferred.
    Still, at BSL it is easier to tie back because there aren't any escapey bits.

That said, your hair is gorgeous <3 So whatever you do, will look great on you My comments are more thinking about the "comfort" of hair in mind
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos

Dr. Technicolor DreamBuns pastina's Avatar
    Length
    ?/BSL/dunno
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

omg, not helpful, but the first picture on your pinterest-- the one with the caption "simple" --is one of my best friends! she was in my wedding! <3

eta-- she'd be pleased to hear she's finally made it into david bowie's tights.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

It's a very pretty length to have if you cut it, but whatever floats your boat! Just remember, it won't be as easy to put all of your hair up in a braid or bun in one move. Still pretty though!