Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bun tutorial: Puffed Not-ilus

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Bun tutorial: Puffed Not-ilus

Stellaaa and I get asked about this bun. Quite a bit. Like over the course of the last couple of years.

So, after overcoming the barrier of technology not being my friend, and the pressure of Stellaaa giving in and doing a tutorial herself, I got my kid to video my version of this bun.

Stellaaa did an amazing video, which you will see linked also! She derserves a big hand for giving a great demonstration, including verbal instructions, which I was too lazy to do.

Stellaaa helped me figure out how to upload my video after I downloaded the Imovie app and dubbed some music over the gunshots in the background (I was videoed at the gun range during the last light of the day during my kid's pistol practice. Hey, busy mom on the go and all that stuff) Stella graciously hosted my version to help me out.

RavenHeather caught a glimpse of my preview with the original audio and said I should call the video: "bunning under fire." Now it has cheesy IMovie soundtrack track that I actually don't prefer but ah, well. My vid is the second one and Stellaaa's is the first.

I think that my kid did a great job on my video (second link) and he was pretty cocky about it. "Of course," he says, "I'm great at stuff like that." Little turkey.

My hair is several days post wash, so, oily and less poofy and curly than freshly washed.

You will notice, I wrap down and over my hand, while Stellaaa wraps up and over her hand. Do whichever you want. Try left handed, my way, or right handed, Stellaaa's way. Take your pick.

Here's what Stellaaa had to say and the video links:
    "Very often when I post an action shot, I'm asked "What bun is that?"It's a bun I made up one day when I did a nautilus too loose. And then I found out Wild Cat Diva did almost the same thing. I called mine a Not-a-nautilus or just Not-ilus (or knot-ilus on bad hair days). WCD called hers a Puffed Nautilus. So we settled on Puffed Not-ilus. And yesterday, after years of humming and hawing and
    promising, we BOTH pulled our fingers out and DID it. We made videos!And here they are, the Puffed Not-ilusRight handed
    https://youtu.be/jvs_ArC2uW0
    And Left handed
    https://youtu.be/OrJcJ0X6v9w
    It's a simple bun that can look very complex. I've had people ask if I'd been to the hairdresser that morning to get my hair "done". Those times, mind you, I did with a mirror, and without the wind."
    Last edited by Wildcat Diva; April 22nd, 2015 at 09:59 PM.

Length
    26"/31"/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Bun tutorial: Puffed Not-ilus

Great video! And I think it's awesome your child has pistol lessons! My hair isn't quite long enough for this yet, but I can't wait until it is! I'm excited to try it out!

Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I have been doing this bun since APL length. Here is a pic I hunted down from two years ago, Easter 2013.

It was more prone to "explode" back then though. Plus my hair is not very thick, normal 3" circ. I wrapped only a couple of fingers back then, not the whole hand.
    Last edited by Wildcat Diva; April 22nd, 2015 at 10:16 PM.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Love this. It's like a different bun when you pull the inner loop through, which is basically it, isn't it? If I ever get to a Nautilus, then I think I'll give it a go. Thanks so much for posting a video on it, two even!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You're welcome. Pulling and tugging on that inner loop, or nub, as I call it, and then smishing it flat and out seems to make for a bigger looking bun in my case. I try to stab the fork through the edge of the inner loop/ nub that I have pulled out and made bigger, sometimes I can use the fork to help expand the bun a bit out in diameter.

Length
    28/CL+/???
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Ohh, I love it! Tried and the bun looks much bigger than normally would Thank you for sharing!

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Oooh, ooh! It works, it really works! I like the Puffed Not-ilus even more than the normal-Nauti. The twist thing at the start seems much more reliable than just wrapping around my hand and the bit at the end makes it look really full.

I scampered off as soon as I watch the videos to try

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    28/48/48
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Oh, wow! That's what I've been doing as a daily go to bun for a while now, I think. I love the name, so I'm adopting it if you don't mind! Mine are much messier, though

Waist - Hip - TBL - Classic - Fingertip! - Thigh - Knee
    2c - F - ii
    Lady Withywindle, Keeper of the Old Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20/Chin/Chin
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Diva View Post
    Stellaaa and I get asked about this bun. Quite a bit. Like over the course of the last couple of years.

So, after overcoming the barrier of technology not being my friend, and the pressure of Stellaaa giving in and doing a tutorial herself, I got my kid to video my version of this bun.

Stellaaa did an amazing video, which you will see linked also! She derserves a big hand for giving a great demonstration, including verbal instructions, which I was too lazy to do.

Stellaaa helped me figure out how to upload my video after I downloaded the Imovie app and dubbed some music over the gunshots in the background (I was videoed at the gun range during the last light of the day during my kid's pistol practice. Hey, busy mom on the go and all that stuff) Stella graciously hosted my version to help me out.

RavenHeather caught a glimpse of my preview with the original audio and said I should call the video: "bunning under fire." Now it has cheesy IMovie soundtrack track that I actually don't prefer but ah, well. My vid is the second one and Stellaaa's is the first.

I think that my kid did a great job on my video (second link) and he was pretty cocky about it. "Of course," he says, "I'm great at stuff like that." Little turkey.

My hair is several days post wash, so, oily and less poofy and curly than freshly washed.

You will notice, I wrap down and over my hand, while Stellaaa wraps up and over her hand. Do whichever you want. Try left handed, my way, or right handed, Stellaaa's way. Take your pick.

Here's what Stellaaa had to say and the video links:
    "Very often when I post an action shot, I'm asked "What bun is that?"It's a bun I made up one day when I did a nautilus too loose. And then I found out Wild Cat Diva did almost the same thing. I called mine a Not-a-nautilus or just Not-ilus (or knot-ilus on bad hair days). WCD called hers a Puffed Nautilus. So we settled on Puffed Not-ilus. And yesterday, after years of humming and hawing and
    promising, we BOTH pulled our fingers out and DID it. We made videos!And here they are, the Puffed Not-ilusRight handed
    https://youtu.be/jvs_ArC2uW0
    And Left handed
    https://youtu.be/OrJcJ0X6v9w
    It's a simple bun that can look very complex. I've had people ask if I'd been to the hairdresser that morning to get my hair "done". Those times, mind you, I did with a mirror, and without the wind."
    I'm so glad you guys made tutorials, I've always admired this hairstyle! Though I think I just invented 6 different Not-A-Puffed-Not-iluses trying to replicate it. The middles of mine don't want to cooperate. I can sort of pull them up and fluff them no problem, but getting them all the way out of the bun is giving me trouble. Do you think the pic below bears any resemblance...? (Sorry for the crappy bathroom lighting.)

I also got this voluminous bun-splosion-festive-rooster situation...

Finally APL, next is BSL Sterlyn's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/23/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I tried this out after watching the tutorial, it's definitely a keeper. Holds nicely, mine doesn't look as complex as either Stellaaa's or WD, because I can't pull much of the nub through as I don't have enough hair for that yet. I even snapped a pic with it, well I was actually taking a pic of my TT but the bun came out nice too. I had this in most of the day while chasing two little ones under 2 1/2, held like a rock.

This is cross posted on the TT thread, apologies to those that have seen it there.

http://
    Last edited by Sterlyn; April 23rd, 2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: trying to fix GIANT pic