Page 1 of 1055 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: self made hairtoys thread

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default self made hairtoys thread

show off your home made toys and share your advice!

ok so here is what i made while lhc was down

this one is my second favorite.

this is my favorite one because it was my first all wood stick

im not so fond of this one but it was my first try at spirals.. above the stick is a denim slide that ive painted with metallic copper paint.

ggrrr i hate this one!! it looks like a lawn ornament.

this is one i did for my website

here is the second one i did for my site... both of my site ones are now smooth as glas and shinyer than they are in the pics...
    i made a hairfork too but i havent put a finish on it yet
    its not as unsimetrical as it looks in the pic..

so show me your prettys.. and to those who do this all the time it would be nice if you could give some advice

Length
    19"/31"/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I haven't made myself any hair toys, but wanted to say that your's are gorgeous!
    How do you make them?
    Lady Enyo of the Brave Victory in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

there are some instructions on my website that i mentioned above..

Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Ooo, pretty. I've been busy working at two jobs lately, so I haven't had to opportunity to make any new hairtoys.

(^_^)/
    BEM

Oh, that one you hate because it looks like a lawn ornament? Maybe you can trade that one off?

(^_^)/
    BEM
    Last edited by SilverLocks; August 15th, 2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Merge posts

Length
    14.5/16.75/32
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Those are gorgeous squiggyflop, especially the first one! I wish I could use tools like that.

I've been making some sticks too but I have to buy them premade and put my own toppers on. Someday I will learn to carve out my own, that would be so cool.

Type
    1c/M/ii

I am locked into the jaws of an epic battle with Photobucket right now, and they are definitely putting the finishing touches on me.... (

Anyone else having trouble with all that new "improved" stuff over there???!!!

Well, if the slop-bucket will allow me to have my own picture back, this is a vintage brooch to hair comb w/sprays conversion I finished a couple of weeks ago.

I love to make hair toys with these older pieces of costume jewelry. You can get tons of it really cheap and, if you're careful, you can still maintain the original piece without damage, if you decide to return it to its original use some day.

And now that my hands aren't working as well as they did, it's easier to make just the couple of sprays necessary for completing the end result I'm after.

The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bugeyedmonster2 View Post
    Oh, that one you hate because it looks like a lawn ornament? Maybe you can trade that one off?

(^_^)/
    BEM
    i dont sell or trade anything no matter how much i hate an item partially because im terrified of post offices. i get panic attacks when i walk in the door. and partially because i need it to remind me why i should never attempt annother one like it... and besides who would want a lawn ornament looking stick in their hair.....
    oh man im getting really queezy just thinking about the possibility of going into a post office.

on annother not im pretty sure dad is getting me a power tool for my B-day.. he wants to get me a scroll sdaw but i kinda want either a mini lathe or a belt sander... with a belt sander i could make more forks but i could make awesome hairsticks with a mini lathe... all of them are around 100$.

an absolutely wonderful person sent me some scraps of dymondwood and im thinking that with powertools i could start working with it... however while i was hand sanding the dymondwood scraps i noticed a strong smell of formaldahyde and my hands smelled like it for days... i dont really mind the smell but i eat with my hands often so if one of you knows how to get the stuff off hands i would be glad to hear about it.

Length
    29 in/36 in/46 in
    Type
    2b/M/iii

squiggyflop, your hairtoys are lovely.

I got the courage to make my own. I am waiting for supplies to arrive. The sticks have predrilled holes in them. Is there a special kind of glue needed to secure the eye pins into the
    holes?

When I get one finished I will post a picture.

Length
    36"/56"/?
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Here are some of the hairsticks I've been working on for the past few weeks. Of course, I have to keep them kitty-proofed which is why they're in a sturdy oak case. If I left them out, there'd be little teeth marks in them. Motreet and Michiko just love to chew things!
    Last edited by Elle; March 9th, 2008 at 03:32 PM.

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by fae View Post
    squiggyflop, your hairtoys are lovely.

I got the courage to make my own. I am waiting for supplies to arrive. The sticks have predrilled holes in them. Is there a special kind of glue needed to secure the eye pins into the
    holes?

When I get one finished I will post a picture.
    i find that epoxy type glues work the best.. good luck!!... im staying away from beads for now because im not rich lol.. wow beads are expensive! its a shame too because i have atleast 10 pairs of hairstick blanks i made a while ago i drilled the holes and everything.. eye pins hmmm are those sturdy? i was using cut up safety pins in the end so that the bead part would be extra sturdy.. not to mention that the safety pins had a little loop at the ends so i could add dangles...honestly i like the all wood ones better... the bead parts can get tangled in my hair... (hair wrapps around the beads)
    can i call this classic length