Page 1024 of 1055 FirstFirst ... 245249249741014102210231024102510261034 ... LastLast
Results 10,231 to 10,240 of 10545

Thread: self made hairtoys thread

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: self made hairtoys thread

The froggy is darling!

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

You are so skilled, Entangled! Just gorgeous

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Stunning Entangled!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

Entangled that is such an awesome fork! It's stunning - you did such an amazing job carving but also painting it so beautifully. I really like how you used water colors for the body but used acrylic for the intensity of the eyes, very clever! It is so cool to see its shape take form and get more and more defined with each photo, very impressive
    Last edited by BerrySara; September 15th, 2019 at 10:36 AM.
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017. Last Chem Dye Aug 2019. Last Henna Feb 2020

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Entangled - love the frog as well. I love your carving from rough to more defined. Thanks for sharing that!
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Length
    BSL/CL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I recently learned about hair toys. I realized I've gotten into an obsessive pattern of checking for new ones to buy, rather than trying to make new things myself. I want to return to the creativity I used to love when I was young! Maybe I will start to make hair toys, or at least prototypes for things I could then buy (for higher quality than I have the tools for).

These are some proofs-of-concept. They're all simple and not unique, but the potential makes me happy.

– - – - –

First I experimented with little wire rings. I've definintely seen this online before (like in viking styles), but I debate how acceptable it is to wear in real life. (And if it's not, how much I care.)

I took a small piece of copper, twisted into a circle, and stuck it in a pearl bead. They're slightly smaller than ring size. Regular rings would also probably work (maybe thin stackable rings)

Here I stuck them in some braids.

Here I made a natalus, left out a piece of hair, and slipped on a ring (without any braids).

And then I thought... What if you clipped things onto the rings? This could make for a very customizable hair toy - you could have a collection of rings and clip various things to them. I am excited about this possibility.

Some ideas:

Ring base
    - Start with plain thin rings for maximum versatility
    - Have a ring or bead that somehow snaps on, so you don't have to slide it on (I want to minimize chance of damage with all this)
    - Use a large jewelry connector (like a lobster clasp) instead of a ring (but this would need to absolutely not damage hair)

Clip On
    - Pearls or beads
    - String of beads (that wouldn't tangle...)
    - Feathers
    - Ribbons
    - A string of something that goes from one side of the head to another (like below)

The last thing I tried, super simple, is to tie a ribbon around a simple natalus bun. This might work for real life, maybe with a more subtle color. This probably wouldn't be so unusual, but I've liked the idea of ribbons (as long as I look within the realm of socially acceptable).

PS - My hair is not quite this glorious red color in real life. This is a combination of my bathroom lighting and phone camera. I need to figure out a better way to take hair pics.
    Last edited by elise.autumn; September 18th, 2019 at 06:15 AM.

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Entangled WOW that's amazing carving! Beautiful!
    Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny View Post
    Gosh you people are so creative

Love it
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    The froggy is darling!
    Thank you! I think it has the most personality so far of the hair things I’ve carved.

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    You are so skilled, Entangled! Just gorgeous
    Thanks! I’ve had a lot of fun experimenting!

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Stunning Entangled!
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by BerrySara View Post
    Entangled that is such an awesome fork! It's stunning - you did such an amazing job carving but also painting it so beautifully. I really like how you used water colors for the body but used acrylic for the intensity of the eyes, very clever! It is so cool to see its shape take form and get more and more defined with each photo, very impressive
    Thank you! That means a lot coming from you, because I’ve seen some of your experiments with resin and am very impressed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DweamGoiL View Post
    Entangled - love the frog as well. I love your carving from rough to more defined. Thanks for sharing that!
    Thank you! I’ve loved seeing your carving and swap experiments; you’ve made quite the impression on me.

Quote Originally Posted by elise.autumn View Post
    I recently learned about hair toys. I realized I've gotten into an obsessive pattern of checking for new ones to buy, rather than trying to make new things myself. I want to return to the creativity I used to love when I was young! Maybe I will start to make hair toys, or at least prototypes for things I could then buy (for higher quality than I have the tools for).

These are some proofs-of-concept. They're all simple and not unique, but the potential makes me happy.

– - – - –

First I experimented with little wire rings. I've definintely seen this online before (like in viking styles), but I debate how acceptable it is to wear in real life. (And if it's not, how much I care.)

I took a small piece of copper, twisted into a circle, and stuck it in a pearl bead. They're slightly smaller than ring size. Regular rings would also probably work (maybe thin stackable rings)

Here I stuck them in some braids.

Here I made a natalus, left out a piece of hair, and slipped on a ring (without any braids).

And then I thought... What if you clipped things onto the rings? This could make for a very customizable hair toy - you could have a collection of rings and clip various things to them. I am excited about this possibility.

Some ideas:

Ring base
    - Start with plain thin rings for maximum versatility
    - Have a ring or bead that somehow snaps on, so you don't have to slide it on (I want to minimize chance of damage with all this)
    - Use a large jewelry connector (like a lobster clasp) instead of a ring (but this would need to absolutely not damage hair)

Clip On
    - Pearls or beads
    - String of beads (that wouldn't tangle...)
    - Feathers
    - Ribbons
    - A string of something that goes from one side of the head to another (like below)

The last thing I tried, super simple, is to tie a ribbon around a simple natalus bun. This might work for real life, maybe with a more subtle color. This probably wouldn't be so unusual, but I've liked the idea of ribbons (as long as I look within the realm of socially acceptable).

PS - My hair is not quite this glorious red color in real life. This is a combination of my bathroom lighting and phone camera. I need to figure out a better way to take hair pics.
    There are so many neat things in here! Thank you for sharing! I love the vibe of the Rings.

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Very impressive entangled! I have made many forks but never carved on one.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Hi everyone! I just got these pen blanks and have a set of whittling blades I have never used for wood. Does anyone have any tips that I should know about whittling in general or working with these woods before I start cutting into them?

From right to left the woods are: sapele, purpleheart, zebrawood, padauk, and walnut.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jane_marie; October 2nd, 2019 at 03:50 PM.

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    Hi everyone! I just got these pen blanks and have a set of whittling blades I have never used for wood. Does anyone have any tips that I should know about whittling in general or working with these woods before I start cutting into them?

From right to left the woods are: sapelle, purpleheart, zebrawood, padauk, and walnut.

Thanks!
    I am not a professional, but basic knife safety is good—those are pretty hard woods, so make sure your knifes are sharp and you cut away from yourself. A thumb guard can be helpful. If you’re carving a specific shape, you can use paper to make a rough outline and trace it on the wood.