Page 944 of 1031 FirstFirst ... 444844894934942943944945946954994 ... LastLast
Results 9,431 to 9,440 of 10306

Thread: self made hairtoys thread

Default Re: self made hairtoys thread

Thank you CindyoftheOaks and Tyrant1100! I just bought a Dremel and am making a few more, as well as more willow hair sticks. It's a lot of fun!
    "As for me and my house, we will serve The Lord."
    - Lady Sheryl -
    Protector in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    I don't care what people think of me...except cats. I want cats to like me.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

You have come to the right place, cjk.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Sheryl. Those are lovely. O made some and they are too heavy what gauge wire did you use?
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Not sure. lol! I found it in the barn. Hubby doesn't remember either. It's left over from when we made a fence about 15 years ago. I can bend it with my hands but it's difficult, the small shaping has to be done with pliers. The hair forks are still slightly flexible. I don't find the forks heavy at all and my hair is not that long, so weight matters a lot. It was galvanized, but that came off with the filing and sanding. It's not woven or barbed, just one piece of extruded steel.

Does any of this help you to guess the gauge? I'm sorry, I just have no idea.
    - Lady Sheryl -

I am considering making some hair sticks and forks from polymer clay. I have seen these on Pinterest. Has anyone used clay for the actual stick/prong part. Is it strong enough? How thick would it need to be to have enough strength? Perhaps I can embed wire in it for added strength?

Probably not getting into clay this year but I am thinking about it for next winter. I have enough stuff to make this winter already. Just planning...
    - Lady Sheryl -

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    I am considering making some hair sticks and forks from polymer clay. I have seen these on Pinterest. Has anyone used clay for the actual stick/prong part. Is it strong enough? How thick would it need to be to have enough strength? Perhaps I can embed wire in it for added strength?

Probably not getting into clay this year but I am thinking about it for next winter. I have enough stuff to make this winter already. Just planning...
    I tried that in the beginning of my toy crafting journey. There has to be some kind of stiffening in the prong/stick. skewers or wire. You have to cover the entire thing or it will come off. I covered alot of toppers which came out nice as I covered it entirely. Those tutorials on Youtube were no help for that part. When you manageto get the prong into your hair the heat will soften the clay.
    Here are some of mine. All are mounted on wooden bases.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Those are very nice! Ok, so I will forget making the sticks from clay. No problem, I don't have any clay right now anyway and may not buy any either. I'm considering it or bead making, as I make jewelry too, but not in the near future. I've used it before and it makes great beads but I have too much going on right now to start something else this winter.

Here are my wooden hair sticks in progress. I cut a box full of willow pieces and skinned them all in the summer. I'm now sanding and shaping them since I got a Dremel. :-)

The one skewered one in the center is too thick, I think. I may toss it or just cut it down...not sure. All are willow. The three white ones are the same wood, just cut green recently. The others were dead aged branches when I cut them. I have a box full of green ones cut and skinned. I'm going to leave them alone for the winter and let them age and hopefully darken and harden by winter's end. They are hard enough to sand and carve now but I want them aged before I stain and seal them.

I love working with the willow! I tried a few other woods at first but found nothing as nice as willow. It's easy to carve but still hard and without any resin (the problem with pine) and it's smooth without many knots and the ones that are there are easy to remove with my carving knife, file or sanding. It's a nice colour when aged too. Some I will leave unstained and just put a high gloss seal on them, after they age. All the green/white ones will be stained if they don't darken over the winter as they dry.
    - Lady Sheryl -

Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by cjk View Post
    I finally get access to this thread and what is the first thing I see? MST3K and an X-wing fighter!

Omg, I kinda love you right now. Nerds of the world, unite!
    LOL! Thank you! Nerd/goth is about 99.9% of the stuff I make.

Length
    ShgLp/U-thi/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Must ask the guys at a Chinese restaurant if they pack meals for home. And those beautiful chopsticks! I think I should ask especially for the chopsticks I want next time.

Question for those of you who make wooden hair sticks. How do you attach beads to the ends?
    - Lady Sheryl -