Page 2 of 1057 FirstFirst 123412521025021002 ... LastLast

Thread: self made hairtoys thread

Length
    36"/56"/?
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by squiggyflop View Post
    an absolutely wonderful person sent me some scraps of dymondwood and im thinking that with powertools i could start working with it... however while i was hand sanding the dymondwood scraps i noticed a strong smell of formaldahyde and my hands smelled like it for days... i dont really mind the smell but i eat with my hands often so if one of you knows how to get the stuff off hands i would be glad to hear about it.
    Do you usually wear a mask when you work with Dymondwood? The mask won't get rid of the smell, but it's important to prevent dust inhalation. Dymondwood and many of the exotic wood dusts are dangerous to your health.

As for preventing lingering odor on your hands, I would suggest wearing some kind of gloves. I have a big box of latex gloves that I use during part of the finishing process. Latex gloves are easy because after you're finished with your project, you just throw them away.
    Last edited by Elle; March 8th, 2008 at 06:54 PM.

Length
    29 in/36 in/46 in
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by squiggyflop View Post
    i find that epoxy type glues work the best.. good luck!!... im staying away from beads for now because im not rich lol.. wow beads are expensive! its a shame too because i have atleast 10 pairs of hairstick blanks i made a while ago i drilled the holes and everything.. eye pins hmmm are those sturdy? i was using cut up safety pins in the end so that the bead part would be extra sturdy.. not to mention that the safety pins had a little loop at the ends so i could add dangles...honestly i like the all wood ones better... the bead parts can get tangled in my hair... (hair wrapps around the beads)
    Thanks for the suggestion of epoxy glues. I would have wandered the craft store in a fog. I don't know if eye pins are sturdy. I guess I will find out. If that doesn't work I will definitely try the safety pin idea.

..always be, forever long capelli lunghi's Avatar
    Length
    Birth/Knee/???
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Squiggy... If you don't like the post office.. you could print your shipping label through Paypal.. stick it on a box or whatever.. then just have it ready for your postal carrier to pick it up.. You won't have to go to the post office at all.. or.. you could have your boxes or whatever ready with the label and have someone else just drop them off at the PO.. Just an idea!
    2a/2b/F/M/iii Birth/Knee/???
    L'Arte di Capelli Lunga - Long Hair Art
    Lady Hequet Giver of the Lifewaters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    29 in/36 in/46 in
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I made two and am letting them dry. I couldn't find epoxy glue so I got this stuff called E6000. The rose quartz it staying glued to the top of the hairstick, but the eye pin slides out. Any ideas on what I can put into the hole to make the diameter smaller?

Type
    1b/M/ii

Elle your sticks are beautiful. Sigh this no job thing was fun at first but I need to get my butt back in gear. There are hair sticks to buy =)

I did then what I knew how to do. When I knew better, I did better. Maya Angelou

Length
    36"/56"/?
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ajr View Post
    Elle your sticks are beautiful. Sigh this no job thing was fun at first but I need to get my butt back in gear. There are hair sticks to buy =)
    Awww... Thanks, Ajr! Have you been taking a break from working? It's always nice to kick back and relax for awhile.
    Last edited by Elle; March 9th, 2008 at 03:38 PM.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Here are some of mine from my personal stash (pics pop)

And for fun, here's the pair my 10 year old little bro made me for Christmas! He's so awesome

Length
    36"/56"/?
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Awww... What a sweet little brother you have, Nightshade.
    Last edited by Elle; March 9th, 2008 at 03:36 PM.

Length
    25/28/36
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I looooove that Cala lily, Nightshade. It's gorgeous! Looking at all of your guys' lovely hairtoys makes me wish I could make some of my own. They're all so beautiful! Alas. I've neither budget, talent, or supplies.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Awww... What a sweet little brother you have, Nightshade.
    He's adorable, and what's even cuter is he had to do a class speech on how to do something. They wanted him to do Origami, he did "How to make a Hairstick".

Quote Originally Posted by rubyredslippers View Post
    I looooove that Cala lily, Nightshade. It's gorgeous! Looking at all of your guys' lovely hairtoys makes me wish I could make some of my own. They're all so beautiful! Alas. I've neither budget, talent, or supplies.
    Give it a try! You'd most likely surprise yourself