Page 1030 of 1057 FirstFirst ... 305309309801020102810291030103110321040 ... LastLast
Results 10,291 to 10,300 of 10562

Thread: self made hairtoys thread

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Default Re: self made hairtoys thread

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny View Post
    Thanks.....so you dried it in the micro AFTER carving?

I was looking for personal experiences here for what has worked....or not...before I look online.

I hadn't given it a thought; my first/only stick was made from fallen wood that also sat in storage for a bit before I worked on it.
    Yeah. I've been doing it after. My first stick was made probably a month ago and is still doing well but I don't think that long enough to tell.

I only mentioned that I found a bunch about it online to clarify that I might not know what I'm talking about. It wasn't my intent to be rude.

LOL...oh no....I didn't think it was rude at all!

TBH...it didn't even dawn on me to google it ....and I have no idea why that is
    I guess because I had 'air drying' in my head only

I oiled my stick when it was finished; do you oil yours?

Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

LOL...oh no....I didn't think it was rude at all!

TBH...it didn't even dawn on me to google it ....and I have no idea why that is

I oiled my stick when it was finished; do you oil yours?
    I've been doing the beeswax mostly. There have been a couple I used coconut oil on before I did the beeswax. This one I applied coconut oil after the beeswax and I'm not sure why. haha

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    I've been doing the beeswax mostly. There have been a couple I used coconut oil on before I did the beeswax. This one I applied coconut oil after the beeswax and I'm not sure why. haha
    I use that too, but have used hair oils on some of my wooden items as well.

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I find it easier to carve green wood and have never had a piece crack. There’s a lot of advice on carving green wood online about spoons, because they seem to be the most mainstream small, skinny carving piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
    I find it easier to carve green wood and have never had a piece crack. There’s a lot of advice on carving green wood online about spoons, because they seem to be the most mainstream small, skinny carving piece.
    Then how long did you let it dry (and how) before finishing it with oil etc?

Length
    ~20"/55"/55"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Then how long did you let it dry (and how) before finishing it with oil etc?
    I also carve my hairsticks out of green wood, and I just put my new hairsticks in the basket next to my bed and start wearing them immediately. I put oil on one of them months later because I was going to a wet place on vacation, but otherwise I haven't bothered. They probably have a decent amount of oil on them from my hair though. I think my oldest are about 2 years old and haven't had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethil View Post
    I also carve my hairsticks out of green wood, and I just put my new hairsticks in the basket next to my bed and start wearing them immediately. I put oil on one of them months later because I was going to a wet place on vacation, but otherwise I haven't bothered. They probably have a decent amount of oil on them from my hair though. I think my oldest are about 2 years old and haven't had any problems.
    Interesting; thanks for sharing

Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Does anyone have experience hand carving spirals?

Yesterday I applied too much pressure and snapped the one I was working on.

If anyone has any advice on how to not snap it I would really love to hear it.

I can't 'wrap' my head around spirals

Good luck