Results 10,041 to 10,050 of 10063

Thread: self made hairtoys thread

Length
    15/28/34
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: self made hairtoys thread

Quote Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
    So obvious I dont know why I didn't think about it LOL. I used a doorknob and a towel rack to get the initial bend started and then rubber coated wrench to bend tighter than my hands would allow. I tried to get a curve with the wrench which lead to a sharp angle. Off to find a sturdy round object!

ETA I missed your post fred, we must have been posting at the same moment. Thank you for the tip, I think it will work with the thinner smaller sizes for sure! I will use neko_kawai s tip for the thicker sizes and see what I come up with. Fred your figure 8s are just lovely, I particularly like the one with the tigers eye type stones and butterfly!
    Yeah - so completely missed this... *sigh* did you ever find the right thing? The ex had some of those wire rack shelving units with the side support poles being like 1" in diameter and they made the best ones I've had. A broom or mop handle might work too!

Shoulder~APL~BSL
    ~Waist - Onward to Waist!

Length
    Jaw/APL+/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    I made another snood.

I love the snood, that's gorgeous! Do you make your own pattern? And how long does it take you to make one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    My good friend has started making hair sticks as his new craft (he has been making jewelry for a while now) and I will get to test some of his first sticks for durability! I am absolutely loving a wood/resin stick he made that has a bit of beard lichen inside. Can't wait!
    That sounds so lovely.

I made this yesterday as a gift for a friend. I've only got the one photo though, I forgot to take more before posting it off! It's made of blue kyanite, all of the howlite I had left (the inclusions are small, but are far more obvious in life than this photo), and glass seed beads on copper wire.

I've been getting the woodworking itch again lately (possibly because I'm at a complicated and time-consuming stage with my latest big quilt project. Procrastinating? Me?). A few friends gave me some seasoned wood last year that I want to have a go with, but I have a feeling I need a simpler project for my first whittled hair stick, so I'm using a thin rectangular rod kindly gifted from another friend's dad's stash. I'm hoping posting here about it will give me the impetus to make some more progress!

Length
    0.25/43/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by _fred_ View Post
    I love the snood, that's gorgeous! Do you make your own pattern? And how long does it take you to make one?

That sounds so lovely.

I made this yesterday as a gift for a friend. I've only got the one photo though, I forgot to take more before posting it off! It's made of blue kyanite, all of the howlite I had left (the inclusions are small, but are far more obvious in life than this photo), and glass seed beads on copper wire.

I've been getting the woodworking itch again lately (possibly because I'm at a complicated and time-consuming stage with my latest big quilt project. Procrastinating? Me?). A few friends gave me some seasoned wood last year that I want to have a go with, but I have a feeling I need a simpler project for my first whittled hair stick, so I'm using a thin rectangular rod kindly gifted from another friend's dad's stash. I'm hoping posting here about it will give me the impetus to make some more progress!
    Thank you! I followed this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdTtp0ZpwQM Hard to say, since I'm mostly crocheting while sitting in front of the TV or similar and never do that many rows at a time. I have one that's pretty much finished now. I just have to attach a ribbon. I finished it in two days and I didn't spend "that much time" crocheting during those two days. The first one of course took a little more time than the last one.

Beautiful flexi!

Home is where the heart is

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii

I am seriously impressed with everyone making their own wooden hair sticks, forks and all other handmade toys! It is very inspirational! I tried my hand at hand carving a wooden hair stick but it wasn't very pretty...I haven't given up yet though. I really want to learn to make a hair fork and that is what I want to try next..

I recently purchased a plain wooden fork from JeterForks and though it was nice as is, I was really inspired to try my hand at acrylic and resin pour on a hair fork (I do mixed media paintings). So I started off by applying acrylic paints to it in various colors including gold. I let it cure overnight and then I poured two coats of resin over it (leaving 24 hours between each coat). I then sanded the back side of the fork for any residual resin that had trickled to the backside and I added a similar colored wood stain on the sanded back side. This is my final result:

I like it a lot especially for my first go at it. There are some imperfections that I wish weren't there but they were a result of adding gold leaf that I thought would be nice...turned out not so much on a flat piece. So i tried picking those out as much as I could but a few tiny pieces got left in there. Also I think I need to sand between the fork "teeth" where there is some resin build up. I just read here its best to sand under water to avoid a cloudy finish but cant really do that with the wood.

Now, it would be sweet if I could also carve my own hair fork and then apply the acrylic and resin finish. Then I could fully claim to have made my own hair toy!!
    Last edited by BerrySara; March 15th, 2019 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Resized Image to smaller
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL++| BSL | MBL | WL | Hip
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL++ | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Growing Out Natural 3C Curls. Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017

Fred, love those beaded 8s.

Wow, that is so striking BerrySara

Length
    Jaw/APL+/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Thank you! I followed this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdTtp0ZpwQM Hard to say, since I'm mostly crocheting while sitting in front of the TV or similar and never do that many rows at a time. I have one that's pretty much finished now. I just have to attach a ribbon. I finished it in two days and I didn't spend "that much time" crocheting during those two days. The first one of course took a little more time than the last one.

Beautiful flexi!
    Thank you on both counts! I definitely need to have a go at a snood, they look so nice, not to mention useful. Could have done with that over the past few days here with the storms! Wispies everywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by BerrySara View Post
    I am seriously impressed with everyone making their own wooden hair sticks, forks and all other handmade toys! It is very inspirational! I tried my hand at hand carving a wooden hair stick but it wasn't very pretty...I haven't given up yet though. I really want to learn to make a hair fork and that is what I want to try next..

I recently purchased a plain wooden fork from JeterForks and though it was nice as is, I was really inspired to try my hand at acrylic and resin pour on a hair fork (I do mixed media paintings). So I started off by applying acrylic paints to it in various colors including gold. I let it cure overnight and then I poured two coats of resin over it (leaving 24 hours between each coat). I then sanded the back side of the fork for any residual resin that had trickled to the backside and I added a similar colored wood varnish on the sanded back side. This is my final result:

I like it a lot especially for my first go at it. There are some imperfections that I wish weren't there but they were a result of adding gold leaf that I thought would be nice...turned out not so much on a flat piece. So i tried picking those out as much as I could but a few tiny pieces got left in there. Also I think I need to sand between the fork "teeth" where there is some resin build up. I just read here its best to sand under water to avoid a cloudy finish but cant really do that with the wood.

Now, it would be sweet if I could also carve my own hair fork and then apply the acrylic and resin finish. Then I could fully claim to have made my own hair toy!!
    Nice one! That's so vibrant and pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by KameRose View Post
    Fred, love those beaded 8s.
    Thank you!

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by KameRose View Post
    Wow, that is so striking BerrySara
    Thank you so much KameRose!

Quote Originally Posted by _fred_ View Post

Nice one! That's so vibrant and pretty.
    Thank you Fred! I am going to try a few different colors next time. That is once I learn how to make a hair fork. I gotta read through some old threads and find some good advice.

Btw I love the flexis that you made! The one in your action shot is so beautiful against the color of your hair and that wooden stick!

Length
    chin/bsl/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Berrysara, wow that's so gorgeous! If you're trying for hand for the first time with wood shaping maybe a flat stick would be easiest to shape for starters. I'm thinking similar to an ONN oval, wide enough to show some beautiful patterns but easy peasy to shape. Cant wait to see more of your creations A++

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
    Berrysara, wow that's so gorgeous! If you're trying for hand for the first time with wood shaping maybe a flat stick would be easiest to shape for starters. I'm thinking similar to an ONN oval, wide enough to show some beautiful patterns but easy peasy to shape. Cant wait to see more of your creations A++
    Thank you milosmomma, that's very kind! That's a great idea to start with a flat or oval (rounded edges) stick! I spent a good while (wont admit exactly how long...) diving into this thread history and picking up a bunch of great information as well as some links to instructional blog entries! Very cool and such a great resource. Might have to give it a go this weekend!

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Berrysara - love your fist resin attempt.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline