Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a brushing routine?

Type
    1b/M/iii

Default Do you have a brushing routine?

Hi,

I feel like I've got my washing routine, colouring routine and various treatments down to something that works really well with my climate, but I realised that I don't have anything specific worked out for brushing my hair. I'm fairly certain conventional wisdom is once a day but I would really like to know what other people do so I can try out some different things and see what works best for me.

My current washing plan is CO washing once a week followed by a vinegar rinse (just mention it because I think there is a difference about brushing based on how often you wash your hair)

Length
    17/45/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Do you have a brushing routine?

My brushing routine honestly depends on my washing routine. If my hair is really in need of a deep clarifying, I will have to finger-comb and then use a wide-toothed comb and my tangle teezer to get through the knots. Whereas, if my hair needs more moisture, I can get away with just using a wide-toothed comb since the tangles tend to work themselves loose.

I use my wide-toothed comb every day regardless of whether or not I wash my hair just because it does help with tangles and knots caused from different hairstyles, but I don't necessarily brush it unless it really needs it.

New growth is wild brickworld13's Avatar
    Length
    SHL/TB/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Oh I really like this thread idea. :

Any brushing routine is going to fall short if you have poor brushing technique, so I will start with that. Now by brushing do you mean detangling or something else?
    The Harmonious Rachel, Songbird in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

Super curly here. I ditched my brush a few years ago so no brushing routine for me.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    cbl/bcl/knee
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I only actually use my wooden brush very rarely... when I am actually wearing my hair down or half down and want it to look very smooth. And then, I finger comb and wide tooth comb it first with some light oil. My ends have been dyed and are very prone to snapping if i don't get them ready.
    ۞ CBL~APL~BSL~MBL~WL~HL~BCL~~TBL~CL~FT~KL ۞
    ISO: Lady Idun >6 in. Sno Cone & Candy Apple Red.

Type
    2a/F/i

I use a wide tooth comb once every 5 days when I do a full wash. Besides that I just finger comb, unless I run into some massive tangles that need a comb, but normally I just put a little bit of oil on the knot and pull it apart with my fingers.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Type
    2b/M/iii

My brushing routine is pretty simple: detangle my hair first with a wide tooth comb (takes all of 3 minutes), then brush in the head down position for 50 strokes. (Used to do 100 strokes for years but recently cut down to 50 because of arthritis). I only use a pure boar bristle brush.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I brush morning and evening. If my hair is not heavily oiled then I detangle with a wooden wide tooth comb then further detangle with my wooden paddle brush then I thoroughly brush my scalp all over with a BBB while bent over. If my hair is heavily oiled then I use a horn comb to scrape over my scalp gently after detangling with the wide tooth comb and wooden brush. I usually massage too.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

My hair gets washed once a week with a sulfate shampoo (the WCC method). Before that it gets combed with a wide tooth comb (from bottom to top) then it gets brushed with a Tangle Teezer. Then washed and after it gets out of the turbie towel (15-20 min.) it gets detangled with a wide tooth comb before all the styling products go in. That's all. The rest of the week my hair is left to its own devices (no comb, no brush). I like to preserve my wave pattern and this is key for it (that it only gets detangled once a week pre- and post wash).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Account Closed by Member Request

Yes, same thing once a day. I used to comb my hair twice a day but sinceits so tangle free i really just switch to a bed toy in case im wearing anything fragile and cover my bun fron the day in silk.
    In the morning i take my bun down, split hair in two sections, rough detangle with the wide tooth comb, spritz with a little bit of destilled water, apply my leave ins and then gently detangle with a smaller spaced tooth comb. Then put it back up. Takes about five to ten minutes in total, depending on what products i use, how tangly my hair is and which bun im doing.