Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Renaissance hair help-semi short hair

Default Renaissance hair help-semi short hair

Okay, I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting as soon as I joined. However, I felt after reading this thread that you might be able to help me too.

To start off, I'm half asian, therefore my hair is very, very straight. I donate my hair pretty much once a year, so my hair does grow very long, very fast. By Feb or March I'm thinking my hair will be nearly waist length again. Currently my hair barely touches my shoulders. I have very thick hair, which I believe would be considered ii to everyone. I don't know much about hair to be honest. I hope you all can forgive my ignorance

My dilemma is that with my hair length, I have no idea how to fix my hair. I was thinking of just leaving it down, but that would look rather silly! I thought of braiding it, but since it was slightly layered, I'm not sure it's long enough to french braid. I have a Hairigomy (sp?) piece that would work, but it pulls my forhead with the current length. I have no snoods, and while I've read about the "sock bun" I'm not sure it works for me. I don't have a hat either. I make jewelry, so I could possibly make a hair piece, but I've never done that before. I can research, though.

Here are 2 photos, one of the costume (no chemise, just a random shirt), and one of my current hair length.

I hope I don't sound like a "noob" or anything. I may actually enjoy reading through this community. I never knew there was one for long hair! People have made a big deal about my hair in the past, but I've never thought it was something so intriguing. Ever since I started donating my hair, I realized that if my hair is so "great" I may as well share it with others! I'm a total empath, so when I think about others, especially children with no hair due to cancer or something else, it makes me want to do something. I don't make a huge deal out of my donating. Attention really does bother me....

Thanks ahead of time for your time and help!

Blessings,
    ~Tyrinaniel
    Last edited by Tyrinaniel; November 16th, 2009 at 07:10 PM.

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Renaissance hair help-semi short hair

You could try a snood (you'd have to buy or make one, I suppose) or Heidi Braids, though would look nice. Down's pretty common, really, especially with a hat or bonnet or somesuch if you want to buy one. If you're feeling adventurous you could try fancy french braiding (I'd try but I'd braid my fingers to my head... )

Oh... and you may want to research who you're donating to...
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

If you wanted to braid it it's definitely long enough for two if not one french braid. You could also try a flipped ponytail like you get when you use a Topsy Tail. There's also the chance of having a half-up with a braid on each side coming back and being tied together.

About the guy thing I'm actually in the boat where I have to find how to do my hair for the Ren Faire this weekend, too. Not all guys escape the issue!

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

How you want to wear your hair? Half ups and/or braids are kind of nice with Renaissance wear.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Wow! Can I just say I love your costume? It really compliments your coloring, too!
    If you are going to a Ren Faire or other outdoor activity, I'd suggest a french braid or the flip through ponytail Gumball suggests, if only because in my experience faires can be a bit dusty. Also if you're wandering around all day and the "privies" are your only accessible restrooms, tangling could be a big issue---though your hair is sleek enough it might not be a problem.
    If you are going to a faire, they often have professional braiders attending; they're expensive, but they can do remarkable things with even short-ish hair.
    Lady Philyra of the Blessed Parchment in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Proud member of the Renegray gang!

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

You're pretty, and have gorgeous hair!

And welcome to LHC!

Hairdo? It depends on how authentic you want to be. In the middle ages and renaissance, married women (and depending on time/place all women who had reached puberty) covered their hair. A simple linen hairscarf looks very nice on a lot of people. Alternatively, braids pinned up give a more festive appearance. You could start the braids above your ears, bring them together and pin them along the back part of your head.

There's also something called "Hair Taping" (http://www.mfgraffix.com/hird/faoilt/hairtape.html)

which I have not tried yet, but would be a SUPER authentic look. Oh, here's a video, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME

The other thing is that if you are donating your hair, you might want to research the organization you are donating it to. Many of these organizations don't actually end up giving the hair to sick kids or whatever, and have been widely criticized.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Hello there! I did a lot of Ren Faires, way back when, and I usually wore a snood. (I think my hair was BSL at that point.) I still have my favorite one, in fact. <3 It is cream crochet thread done in a Solomon's Knot with cobalt blue seed beads.

You can sort of see it in these two images from my wedding. I am wearing my flower wreath over it. For other events, I wore a straw hat or something like that over my snood. Sorry, we had this event late in the day, and by this time, my hair was just not cooperative!

Length
    22/28/waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

That must have been a beautiful wedding, ravenreed.

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

You could try to make a french braid around your head. I don't know how well your hair holds curls but there are sponge rollers you could try some of them and do a messy curly updo with some sort of nice hairband. You might also want to do a search here on the boards about LOL (short for locks of love)

Tapioca

You could also go for a muffin cap to cover it all.