Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dish soap for hair?

Length
    Pixie/SL/HL

Default Dish soap for hair?

I looked for a similiar thread and found none, so I hope it's okay I start this! Ahem.
    Sometimes things get tough and I have to cut corners or (more likely) my ninteen year old car is broke again and I can't get to the store to buy shampoo, so I picked up something my mom does on occasion: wash my hair with dish soap (I've only ever used Dawn).
    And wowy! My hair is always so soft, silky, and shiny after sudsing it into my scalp and length, but i find I have to use conditioner or my hair is dry.
    Has anyone experimented with dish soap? I'm curious about your results!

Length
    pixie/Hip/n/a
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Dish soap for hair?

I would use it in a pinch, like you did. I would try not to use it long term for fear of drying out your hair very badly.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I would only use it in an emergency to clarify if I really needed to, or something like that. If I needed to use it because I had run out of shampoo, I would use it diluted with water, as it is very harsh.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I have done this, but I dilute the dish soap a *lot*. Just a little bit in a big tumbler or warm water is enough. It sure will cut through the greasies though.

If suffienciently diluted, the need for conditioner is not so great.

(My dermatologist recommended this when I was a teen - a greasy hairball mess. Also suggested diluted ACV rinse, as our water was very soft and soaps did not rinse out.)

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I used it once like 5 times in a row when I was trying to get rid of henna :-))) My hair was very dry but recovered just fine. Of course henna stayed untouched :-)

Growing out healthy, natural hair since October 2015

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Knowing the absolute havoc Dawn wreaks upon my hands, and how just a little squirt makes tons of suds, I'd definitely say a little bit very diluted, followed up by conditioner would be your best bet when you have to go this route. I wonder... in a pinch, would liquid handsoap be a little gentler as a shampoo than dish soap?

When you're able, pick up a cheap shampoo & conditioner (V05 is $0.50-$0.99/bottle here) and keep them tucked away as a backup for when you have an "Oh, shoot!" moment.
    Just a crazy craftaholic! ^_~ http://craftaholicadventures.blogspot.com/
    Longest: Classic. Shortest: Chin length. Currently: Waist.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by swords & roses View Post
    When you're able, pick up a cheap shampoo & conditioner (V05 is $0.50-$0.99/bottle here) and keep them tucked away as a backup for when you have an "Oh, shoot!" moment.
    Excellent advice!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/F/i

I would not use it long term, no. You can get shampoo pretty cheap...maybe if I ever ran out of shampoo I'd dilute it and try it, but I have a hoard of shampoo big enough for 40 people to use for 3 ears and still not have to buy anything LOL

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    TBL/Pixie/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I wouldn't do it longterm unless I had serious oil issues. I've used it before to get oily substances out of my hair before without any major effects, though. Last time I dyed my hair, my shampoo was kind of buried under my sink, and I took the lazy route and used Method cranberry hand soap. It worked as well as my clarifying shampoo does, I think. I would probably avoid anything with iodine or a color too different from my hair. (I've also used body lotion as leave-in conditioner, during my blonde phase. )

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by 7thOfTheDamned View Post
    I wouldn't do it longterm unless I had serious oil issues. I've used it before to get oily substances out of my hair before without any major effects, though. Last time I dyed my hair, my shampoo was kind of buried under my sink, and I took the lazy route and used Method cranberry hand soap. It worked as well as my clarifying shampoo does, I think. I would probably avoid anything with iodine or a color too different from my hair. (I've also used body lotion as leave-in conditioner, during my blonde phase. )
    Tiny bit off topic, but that bolded bit reminded me that conditioner also makes a good shaving cream! Nice, smooth legs!
    Just a crazy craftaholic! ^_~ http://craftaholicadventures.blogspot.com/
    Longest: Classic. Shortest: Chin length. Currently: Waist.