Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Culture for Long Hair

Length
    2/2/2
    Type
    1a/F/i

Question Culture for Long Hair

I have noticed that there are certain cultures that seem to have a propensity towards very long hair (classic length and beyond). Some examples I have seen are:

• Hawaiian
    • Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Vietnamese
    • Indian
    • Russian
    • Polish

Why is this? What in these cultures encourage people to grow very long hair? What have your experiences been with various cultures? What cultures may I be missing?

Please let's not put any value judgements on our opinions. No culture is better than any other culture.

Thanks,

diggem

Length
    9/31/33
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Sad Pixie//Chin//Shoulder//APL//BSL//MBL//Waist
    Ultimate goal: Waist and Henna Free!

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Culture for Long Hair

Honestly, I don't see this at all. I've lived in multiple countries, and I think the only cultural difference I've noticed re: hair length on men and women is between urban/fashion-driven vs. more traditional approaches (and within each country you have both and even a lot more cultural layers). Even that generalization is a big stretch. I find it easier not to generalize like that, since personal choices happily override all that stuff anyway.
    I think I've seen more Classic+ hair down in the wild in NYC than in Moscow or Beijing or Mumbai!

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

I think that some of this is modernization. A culture will love long hair and then they will get modernized and discover hair salons (which means bye-bye long hair). Some of it is urbanization, too. therefore, hair harvesters (people who want to buy hair for extensions) will have better look finding people that have virgin long hair to sell in the countryside in say, Ukraine, Poland, India or Brazil, while the fashionable urban ladies will be sporting 'styles' (and 'styles' are never long).

I will get shot for saying this, but there is a genetic component, too. There will tend to be people who are similar to each other genetically in traditional societies MOST of the time (i can think of some glaring exceptions, as for instance where I was born) and then it is a question of if the people in question have the genetics to grow really long hair or not. You can't make it part of your culture if your genetics do not allow. There is a reason why in traditional Japan (Heian) period, upper class ladies aimed for hair trailing behind them on the floor for a foot or two , and in traditional African societies, that was never a goal.
    <a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank>[IMG]<a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg target=_blank>http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psb7di14pc.jpg</a></a>[/IMG]</a>Proud to be a tightly curly!
    (SL-APL-BSL-Midback-Waist!)

Length
    18/29,5/33
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I kind of agree with the fact that Polish girls culturally have long hair (by long I mean BSL - BCL, mostly MBL - WL) - especially in folklore and literature. I know of a few protagonists in Polish literature with a long braid. Two of them are: Zosia - this is a frame from the film that was made from the "book" - a very LHC appropriate picture hehe.
    Another one is Helena - another frame from the fillm. In the book there was a description that she was able to wrap her braid around herself and her lover/ husband.

All this is tradition... my mum always cut my hair short and I've had short hair all my life until I started growing it long actively and I know and see so many girls with short hair (usually it's stylish and well-groomed). However, in my town I observe many girls and young women with long hair (aged 20 - 30). My town is very interesting because there are soo many students who come here to study and they move from all kinds of different places. I don't really know what the view on long hair is in the places they come from to be honest... whether and how it is encouraged.

One thing I find really interesting though is that fact that I learned about the concept that "long hair is sexy, feminine, short hair is not sexy" here on LHC - I'm referring to these articles that are linked here once in a while (do you know which ones I'm talking about?). I never knew about this concept, same with "cutting your hair once you're over 30/ get married/ have kids etc." All my life I had short hair and I didn't feel "stigmatised" and I think that Polish people don't have this concept...

SSSLLL - AAAPPPLLL - SSSBBBLLL - MMMBBBLLL - WWWLLL

Length
    jaw/SL/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I know some religions prohibit the cutting of hair. Perhaps some countries simply don't put as much emphasis on hair and it's more of a benign neglect thing? For example in America most women have their hair colored, and heat styled in some way but I know that in France most women have their natural color and texture.
    Long hair/ natural hair care friendly hair stylist

Length
    18/29,5/33
    Type
    1b/M/ii

JellyBene - there might be some truth in that... (the benign neglect thing) I have never ever seen anyone use a curling iron in Poland and Germany (two countries I grew up in) - I wouldn't really know how to use one. Girls mainly use hair straighteners (also to create curls) - but because I have straight hair I never saw the point in using one...?

However, when I moved to the US (Montana) for a scholarship I learned that styling your hair with a curling iron is a thing. So I bought one and was the only person I know who owned one back home

SSSLLL - AAAPPPLLL - SSSBBBLLL - MMMBBBLLL - WWWLLL

Length
    ????/35.5/40
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

You missed Latinos

I was not allowed to cut my hair until I was an "adult" defined as married. Little girls usually have long hair, until at least adulthood, when they are allowed to make decisions about it. My hair is relatively long for where I am (just hitting BCL), but it isn't considered really long by my culture.
    'And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair' Khalil Gibran.
    ⌣⌢ (◡) ⌢⌣

I grew up being told it was a "sin" to cut hair short yet mother kept mine and my sister's hair length trimmed to mid-back. When my eldest sister cut her own hair to shoulder length, all he// broke loose! lol
    When my mom eased off trimming my hair in my teens, I grew it out to waist length and kept it at that for several years so long as she didn't have the scissors! Now, I've had my hubby trim my hair maybe once or twice year and now, after having gawked at my looong hair from way back when, I'm committed now to continue to grow it out!

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

In my area people with tailbone or longer hair (and wear it down) tend to be Latino or Native American.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*