Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek and yogurt hair mask video

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Fenugreek and yogurt hair mask video

I found this video on youtube. I know I'm often singing the praises of both yogurt and fenugreek seeds but this video shows the result at the end and I must say it's really impressive!
    I've slacked on the methi packs lately and isn't it typical I only just got back from the supermarket and didn't get plain yogurt but I will be doing this one soon.

The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    35"/35"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Re: Fenugreek and yogurt hair mask video

Huh.

I took fenugreek in high doses for ages, to increase breastmilk production. The entire time I had fast-growing thick hair, but I attributed it all to hormones. I now wonder how much of it may have actually been herbal?

Type
    1b/F/ii

When I first started looking into fenugreek and it's benefits I read about a man who took it for some kind of chest complaint. He had androgenic alopecia and found that his hair started growing back. It's often suggested for people with type 2 diabetes as it can apparently reduce blood glucose levels. I'm talking about the seed specifically here.
    So yes, it may have encouraged growth when you took it.
    It's commonly suggested as a folk remedy for hair loss in India but it requires some dedication as you oil your scalp with coconut oil at night then wash in the morning with a fenugreek pack. I personally can't keep daily use up but using it once or twice a week could also help I think, plus it does make a gorgeously conditioning treatment, I love my hair after I use it. Did you see her shine at the end? I do think the yogurt would have contributed to that though as I've found that amazing in DT's in the past even when my hair was chemically fried.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    When I first started looking into fenugreek and it's benefits I read about a man who took it for some kind of chest complaint. He had androgenic alopecia and found that his hair started growing back. It's often suggested for people with type 2 diabetes as it can apparently reduce blood glucose levels. I'm talking about the seed specifically here.
    So yes, it may have encouraged growth when you took it.
    It's commonly suggested as a folk remedy for hair loss in India but it requires some dedication as you oil your scalp with coconut oil at night then wash in the morning with a fenugreek pack. I personally can't keep daily use up but using it once or twice a week could also help I think, plus it does make a gorgeously conditioning treatment, I love my hair after I use it. Did you see her shine at the end? I do think the yogurt would have contributed to that though as I've found that amazing in DT's in the past even when my hair was chemically fried.
    Interesting! So maybe the biggest benefits can be reaped if it's taken internally? I'm just thinking... since hair is dead matter anyway, we can only condition it or patch-repair it temporarily, provide elasticity, etc, but for healthier hair growth, shouldn't we just drink/eat methi or possibly apply it on scalp?

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Interesting! So maybe the biggest benefits can be reaped if it's taken internally? I'm just thinking... since hair is dead matter anyway, we can only condition it or patch-repair it temporarily, provide elasticity, etc, but for healthier hair growth, shouldn't we just drink/eat methi or possibly apply it on scalp?
    Oh yes for growth benefits it would need to be applied to the scalp, it's just good that it also can be used to condition the length. Taking it internally would also make sense but I would do a search to make sure it's not contraindicated for any medical conditions you may have. That said it's also used in Indian cooking so should be safe. One thing I would say it it's not pleasant to consume and apparently the pills are not so much help as they pass too far into the intestines before the methi is released. I might be confusing that with turmeric though, in fact I'm almost sure I am.
    So yes, after that rambling reply I'd agree that applying it to the scalp and consuming it would give the best chance of it helping new growth. Oh it can also be made into an oil by soaking the seeds in an oil like coconut or sesame and massaging the scalp with it. If you check the ingredients of many Indian and Ayurvedic hair oils it's often in those.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

^ Great idea about infusing oils with methi! I think I might experiment with that - maybe just adding methi powder to coconut oil and letting it do the "cold infusion" thing for some time or "hot infusion" over a stove top? Would dry powder be effective? Or is methi only effective when it's soaked in water and turned into mucilage?
    (Good to know that fenugreek isn't that pleasant to consume, I just knew it was used in cooking, but not about the taste or how it gets digested.)

Length
    35"/35"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

For what it's worth, mine was all internal. Powdered fenugreek in capsules. As I said: high doses. It's been ages and I can't remember the exact capsule size, but they were definitely medium/large (I purchased the ground seeds, and capsuled them myself). I would take about six capsules about six times a day(give or take, honestly). It sounds very extreme, I know, but a lot of us had great luck with it increasing our milk supply with no negative side effects. Unless you consider your skin, scalp, (and urine) smelling rather like maple syrup a negative side-effect.

Length
    35"/35"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Mind you, our experiences were anecdotal. When it comes to breastfeeding, you'll try crazy things, and greatly rely on advice from other mothers. None of us had problems with our doses, but even information regarding breastfeeding, recommend lower doses than we took. This is an excellent site, for example. And you can see lower doses are considered safer.

But around here I see that people use monistat to increase hair growth... so if you're interested in trying higher doses of fenugreek: I can say that I and several women I know were able to take large amounts very safely. For what it's worth.

Length
    35"/35"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I'm not sure I was clear, with that...

I mean in a community where a portion of it is willing to take monistat to increase hair growth, they might equally look at taking higher doses of herbs, do to sheer determination.

Is that any clearer? So I put forth my anecdotal "evidence". Higher doses of fenugreek can be safely experimented with, if you're so inclined.

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I've heard of using fenugreek in hair but haven't tried it so far. I do eat fenugreek in small doses and have done since I was a small child. It's actually one of the ingredients in many curry powders. By itself it tastes yucky but combine one of two teaspoons of it with some ginger, garlic, tumeric, chilli, cumin, bay leaf, coriander and fennel and you'll have a delicious base for your curries. I had been looking into other uses of fenugreek because my mother bought a huge container of fenugreek powder and after using it regularly (at least once a week) for over a year I still have over half left.