Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Should I be cautious when using this?

  1. #1
    Marzipan Woman gustavonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,389
    Length
    SL/Chin/Long
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Should I be cautious when using this?


    I apologize for the extremely large picture. Don't know how to fix it.
    But anyway, I've been reading up on keratin and am sort of scared to use it now.
    First of all, the formalyhyde is a big problem for me. Is it possible for that to emit from the shampoo?
    Any thoughts guys?
    Time to grow again

    chin length -
    shoulder length - ​armpit length - bra strap length

  2. #2
    Member MsVenus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    104
    Length
    sl/mbl/cl
    Type
    3a/F/i

    Default Re: Should I be cautious when using this?

    There is no formaldehyde in either the shampoo or the conditioner. There is no formaldehyde in regular keratin protein conditioners either. There is formaldehyde in certain Keratin Smoothing treatments that you must flat iron in the hair. This is not a smoothing treatment. It is a regular keratin protein containing shampoo that has a plain keratin conditioner that goes along with it.
    Last edited by MsVenus; March 6th, 2015 at 11:52 AM.

    MBL, Next Goals: WL, HL, TBL, Classic length


  3. #3
    Marzipan Woman gustavonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,389
    Length
    SL/Chin/Long
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Should I be cautious when using this?

    Thank you, I just want to be very sure.
    Time to grow again

    chin length -
    shoulder length - ​armpit length - bra strap length

  4. #4
    Now-shorthaired mod Anje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    20,377
    Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Should I be cautious when using this?

    Quote Originally Posted by MsVenus View Post
    There is no formaldehyde in either the shampoo or the conditioner. There is no formaldehyde in regular keratin protein conditioners either. There is formaldehyde in certain Keratin Smoothing treatments that you must flat iron in the hair. This is not a smoothing treatment. It is a regular keratin protein containing shampoo that has a plain keratin conditioner that goes along with it.
    This, in general. Most likely you might have to look out for getting too much protein if you're prone to problems with that (though conditioners are usually more culprits than shampoos), but this shampoo isn't a Brazilian/Japanese/Pick-A-Nationality straightening treatment.

    That said, if you're REALLY sensitive to formaldehyde (we're talking bad allergies here, not "I find it a little irritating" or "it sounds scary"), a number of preservatives used in shampoos, conditioners, and cosmetics do release a small amount of it over time as a way to keep bacteria and mold from growing in the products. The alternative to having preservatives like this is that all those water-containing products would be prone to going bad in a matter of weeks since they're made even with refrigeration, so preservatives aren't necessarily a bad idea so long as they don't cause you any problems personally. Wikipedia has a small, incomplete list of them, if you need it.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

  5. #5
    Account Closed by Member Request
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,798

    Default Re: Should I be cautious when using this?

    The evil half of me isimagining thousands of people choking to death in a cloud of fumes in thei own bathrooms, simply by using that shampoo, lol. Keratin will prbably be linked to formaldehyde in peoles heads forever. Of course i would avoid that too, but that goes for bleach and PPD as well, both have probably caused much more harm to people then formaldehyde when it comes to hair products.

  6. #6
    Member Nadine <3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,662
    Type
    2a/F/i

    Default Re: Should I be cautious when using this?

    you should be perfectly fine using that, although personally I would switch it out with something without protein ever couple of washes but YMMV!


    BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

  7. #7
    Marzipan Woman gustavonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,389
    Length
    SL/Chin/Long
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Should I be cautious when using this?

    Quote Originally Posted by MINAKO View Post
    The evil half of me isimagining thousands of people choking to death in a cloud of fumes in thei own bathrooms, simply by using that shampoo, lol. Keratin will prbably be linked to formaldehyde in peoles heads forever. Of course i would avoid that too, but that goes for bleach and PPD as well, both have probably caused much more harm to people then formaldehyde when it comes to hair products.
    LOL. Well that would be freaking terrible if that happened. xD I don't know why I'm even worried. You are right anyway I've had my hair bleached PLATINUM. A little keratin won't kill me.
    Time to grow again

    chin length -
    shoulder length - ​armpit length - bra strap length

  8. #8
    Member meteor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,938
    Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

    Default Re: Should I be cautious when using this?

    Quote Originally Posted by gustavonut View Post
    LOL. Well that would be freaking terrible if that happened. xD I don't know why I'm even worried. You are right anyway I've had my hair bleached PLATINUM. A little keratin won't kill me.
    Bleached hair really tends to do well with keratin and other forms of hydrolyzed protein - to temporarily patch-repair damaged or chipped cuticle. Read more about it here: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...t-protein.html
    "Keratin Brazilian/Japanese straightening treatments" are a bit of a misnomer: they rely on chemical and heat straightening process (which is damaging). But a shampoo containing keratin has nothing to do with that.

    Maybe consider learning about ingredients of your products, if you have some concerns about them?
    Here are the ingredients of your product, nothing scary about them , just a pretty mild cleanser with lots of conditioning ingredients (oils, silicones, hydrolyzed protein, ...), good for damaged hair: Aqua (Water), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-6, Polyquaternium-10, Laureth-4, Laureth-23, Trideceth-12, Guar Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 15985 (Yellow 6), CI 42090 (Blue 1).

  9. #9
    Marzipan Woman gustavonut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,389
    Length
    SL/Chin/Long
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Should I be cautious when using this?

    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Bleached hair really tends to do well with keratin and other forms of hydrolyzed protein - to temporarily patch-repair damaged or chipped cuticle. Read more about it here: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...t-protein.html
    "Keratin Brazilian/Japanese straightening treatments" are a bit of a misnomer: they rely on chemical and heat straightening process (which is damaging). But a shampoo containing keratin has nothing to do with that.

    Maybe consider learning about ingredients of your products, if you have some concerns about them?
    Here are the ingredients of your product, nothing scary about them , just a pretty mild cleanser with lots of conditioning ingredients (oils, silicones, hydrolyzed protein, ...), good for damaged hair: Aqua (Water), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-6, Polyquaternium-10, Laureth-4, Laureth-23, Trideceth-12, Guar Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 15985 (Yellow 6), CI 42090 (Blue 1).
    Woo hoo, nice! maybe it will help with my damaged "unnatural" ends.
    Time to grow again

    chin length -
    shoulder length - ​armpit length - bra strap length

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    318
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

    Default Re: Should I be cautious when using this?

    Remember also that small amounts of formaldehyde are not dangerous--in fact, our bodies naturally produce formaldehyde just through the act of living!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •