Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be cautious when using this?

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Should I be cautious when using this?

I apologize for the extremely large picture. Don't know how to fix it.
    But anyway, I've been reading up on keratin and am sort of scared to use it now.
    First of all, the formalyhyde is a big problem for me. Is it possible for that to emit from the shampoo?
    Any thoughts guys?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Length
    Tbl/mbl/cl
    Type
    3a/F/i

Default Re: Should I be cautious when using this?

There is no formaldehyde in either the shampoo or the conditioner. There is no formaldehyde in regular keratin protein conditioners either. There is formaldehyde in certain Keratin Smoothing treatments that you must flat iron in the hair. This is not a smoothing treatment. It is a regular keratin protein containing shampoo that has a plain keratin conditioner that goes along with it.
    Last edited by MsVenus; March 6th, 2015 at 10:52 AM.

MBL, Next Goals: WL, HL, TBL, Classic length

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Thank you, I just want to be very sure.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MsVenus View Post
    There is no formaldehyde in either the shampoo or the conditioner. There is no formaldehyde in regular keratin protein conditioners either. There is formaldehyde in certain Keratin Smoothing treatments that you must flat iron in the hair. This is not a smoothing treatment. It is a regular keratin protein containing shampoo that has a plain keratin conditioner that goes along with it.
    This, in general. Most likely you might have to look out for getting too much protein if you're prone to problems with that (though conditioners are usually more culprits than shampoos), but this shampoo isn't a Brazilian/Japanese/Pick-A-Nationality straightening treatment.

That said, if you're REALLY sensitive to formaldehyde (we're talking bad allergies here, not "I find it a little irritating" or "it sounds scary"), a number of preservatives used in shampoos, conditioners, and cosmetics do release a small amount of it over time as a way to keep bacteria and mold from growing in the products. The alternative to having preservatives like this is that all those water-containing products would be prone to going bad in a matter of weeks since they're made even with refrigeration, so preservatives aren't necessarily a bad idea so long as they don't cause you any problems personally. Wikipedia has a small, incomplete list of them, if you need it.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Account Closed by Member Request

The evil half of me isimagining thousands of people choking to death in a cloud of fumes in thei own bathrooms, simply by using that shampoo, lol. Keratin will prbably be linked to formaldehyde in peoles heads forever. Of course i would avoid that too, but that goes for bleach and PPD as well, both have probably caused much more harm to people then formaldehyde when it comes to hair products.

Type
    2a/F/i

you should be perfectly fine using that, although personally I would switch it out with something without protein ever couple of washes but YMMV!

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MINAKO View Post
    The evil half of me isimagining thousands of people choking to death in a cloud of fumes in thei own bathrooms, simply by using that shampoo, lol. Keratin will prbably be linked to formaldehyde in peoles heads forever. Of course i would avoid that too, but that goes for bleach and PPD as well, both have probably caused much more harm to people then formaldehyde when it comes to hair products.
    LOL. Well that would be freaking terrible if that happened. xD I don't know why I'm even worried. You are right anyway I've had my hair bleached PLATINUM. A little keratin won't kill me.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gustavonut View Post
    LOL. Well that would be freaking terrible if that happened. xD I don't know why I'm even worried. You are right anyway I've had my hair bleached PLATINUM. A little keratin won't kill me.
    Bleached hair really tends to do well with keratin and other forms of hydrolyzed protein - to temporarily patch-repair damaged or chipped cuticle. Read more about it here: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...t-protein.html
    "Keratin Brazilian/Japanese straightening treatments" are a bit of a misnomer: they rely on chemical and heat straightening process (which is damaging). But a shampoo containing keratin has nothing to do with that.

Maybe consider learning about ingredients of your products, if you have some concerns about them?
    Here are the ingredients of your product, nothing scary about them , just a pretty mild cleanser with lots of conditioning ingredients (oils, silicones, hydrolyzed protein, ...), good for damaged hair: Aqua (Water), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-6, Polyquaternium-10, Laureth-4, Laureth-23, Trideceth-12, Guar Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 15985 (Yellow 6), CI 42090 (Blue 1).

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Bleached hair really tends to do well with keratin and other forms of hydrolyzed protein - to temporarily patch-repair damaged or chipped cuticle. Read more about it here: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...t-protein.html
    "Keratin Brazilian/Japanese straightening treatments" are a bit of a misnomer: they rely on chemical and heat straightening process (which is damaging). But a shampoo containing keratin has nothing to do with that.

Maybe consider learning about ingredients of your products, if you have some concerns about them?
    Here are the ingredients of your product, nothing scary about them , just a pretty mild cleanser with lots of conditioning ingredients (oils, silicones, hydrolyzed protein, ...), good for damaged hair: Aqua (Water), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cetrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-6, Polyquaternium-10, Laureth-4, Laureth-23, Trideceth-12, Guar Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 15985 (Yellow 6), CI 42090 (Blue 1).
    Woo hoo, nice! maybe it will help with my damaged "unnatural" ends.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Remember also that small amounts of formaldehyde are not dangerous--in fact, our bodies naturally produce formaldehyde just through the act of living!