Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do I find [x]? (for newbies!)

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Where do I find [x]? (for newbies!)

Since I've been away for a while, I've noticed a lot of new faces (or heads, I guess), and a lot of people seem to have questions about where to pick up essentials, like ACV, silk pillowcases, etc. So, I wanted to start a thread where people can submit the most accessible places to find long hair essentials. When I was looking for henna for the first time, people always told me to go to "Indian spice shops", which wasn't very specific and where I was living, wasn't very accessible. I also couldn't find a silk pillowcase for the life of me and ended up making one out of an old shirt.

So, this thread's purpose is to: a) mention easily accessible places to find common items we mention here and b) ask questions on where to find things. Because I am a Canadian living close to America, who once lived in England... most of the indepth suggestions will centre around that. If you live in a different region, please pipe up! I will be working on this list as much as I can, so if it seems a little sparse, don't worry; I am working on it!

If you have a specific regional suggestion/item suggestion and I haven't added it to the list, then PM me.

Hit ctrl+f (on PC) or command-f (on Mac) to find an item; I will try to add regions as I find them. This list is by no means exhaustive; if I do not have your region listed, it's because no one has made a suggestion, so if you're Australian, for example, and you know a store where you can find shea butter, let us know, or PM me.

Shopping Tips:

- Please don't be afraid to ask. If you think a store might carry what you're looking for, do not hesitate to ask! No one is going to laugh at you because you can't find the coconut oil!
    - Basic websites like Amazon can be a godsend for finding items. I prefer to use it as a last resort, personally, but lots of people like to use it.
    - Nine times out of ten, what you're looking for might be hiding right under your nose, hence why so many of the suggestions are for the grocery store. We're a creative bunch here!

ITEMS

ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar):

Canada/The US: The grocery store, in the baking aisle. It is next to the regular vinegar, but it's darker. In health food stores, it will sometimes be stocked inside fridges in the back, and it will often be cloudier than many grocery store brands, such as Heinz. If memory serves, it's about $3.
    England/UK: Sold as 'cyder vinegar', and it is also in the baking aisle.

Argan Oil:

When selecting an argan oil, make sure to check the ingredients: often things sold as argan oil actually contain many other ingredients, including dimethicone, which you may not mind but it is good to keep in mind in case you want the pure oil. In Canada, Rexall sells argan oil under their "Life" house-brand. NOTE: Please let me know of other stores in the US, the UK and Europe where you have found pure, undiluted argan oil! Warning, it can be a little expensive. Small bottles typically run upwards to $25, and that includes the "hair treatment" variety that contains stuff that isn't argan oil.

https://www.taprootfarmsak.com/ (ships internationally, also sells shea butter!)

Boar Bristle Brushes:

Canada/The US: Large chain drug stores with dedicated haircare sections often have BBBs, but they are sometimes combined (acrylic/BBB). Sally's often carries them. In the Southwestern US, Walmart apparently carries BBBs in the "ethnic" haircare section; if you're elsewhere in the US, you may have similar luck, but BBBs in Canadian Walmarts are usually in the accessory section, not with the relaxers. They're typically about $10 to $20.
    England: Large Boots locations sometimes carry them, but will sometimes have the same "combined fibres" issue large chain drug stores in NA will have, but they do carry the Ecotools brush, which I have heard is decent.

Castor Oil:

You know how I mentioned that we're a creative bunch? Well, castor oil is actually a laxative. It's sold in drug stores and grocery stores next to the Immodium and Ex-Lax. Expect to pay around $2-$4.

Coconut Oil:

In practically every region, the recommendation is nearly identical: Your trusty neighbourhood grocery store. Go into the cooking/oils aisle, and it should be there. If it's not, try a larger grocery store. If every grocery store in your area is not fun enough to have coconut oil, a health food store will have it. Virgin, cold-pressed seems to be the preference around these parts. Prices range between $5 and $20, depending on size, brand and your region.

Cone-free Conditioners:

My favourite cone-free is Suave, and you can find it in most grocery stores, but drug stores do not often carry it for some reason. Last time I bought it, it was a dollar, and I live in one of the most expensive cities in North America. If you're in a drug store and want to find one, L'Oreal's Everpure line has conditioners without 'cones. In the Netherlands/Holland and Belgium, Action stores will have cheap conditioner (as well as hair accessories).

EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

Yoooou guessed it! It's in the oils/cooking aisle at your local grocery store. Even the most woefully understocked grocery store will carry olive oil. It's usually around $6 to $8.

Monistat/Daktarin:

Monistat is sold in the feminine hygiene section; it's an anti-fungal yeast infection cream. Check one of the many master threads about MN about how to use it. Monistat appears to be the US/Canada choice for this type of hair experiment. You'll be looking for the "inside itches" cream, usually sold in applicator tubes in either 2% or 4% strength. Expect to pay between $5 and $20, depending on region. In Canada: Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart, Rexall and any other drug store. In the US, your local grocers, Walmart, and drug store carry them, but I have heard good things about the Dollar Tree discount brand.

As for Daktarin, it's mainly used for athlete's foot, and will be together with foot powders and insoles in Boots and other drug stores.

Silk Pillowcases:

Walmart, Target, Linen's N' Things, etc. Any store that sells pillowcases is likely to have silk or satin; they are typically sold in singles and you should expect to pay anywhere between $3 and $9 for them. Another recommendation would be go to any fabric store and sift through their scraps bin for silk or satin. You do not need much fabric to make one or two for yourself. Finally, if you're only half-handy (like me) Ardene's, Claire's, or other inexpensive accessory stores will often sell satin or silk scarves. Select the large square ones, pin the corners together and sew into a tube. Ta-da! Silk pillowcase. Note: Satin sleepcaps are sold in the "ethnic" haircare section in Walmart.

See also: http://www.dharmatrading.com/clothin...illowcase.html, http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Mulberr.../dp/B0040UU43Y

WEBSITES

http://www.essentialoilsdirect.co.uk/ - Essential Oils for UK folks

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/ - Spices and Herbs (UK)

http://www.hennasooq.ca/ - Henna, Canada-based
    Last edited by RancheroTheBee; March 8th, 2015 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Adding stuff.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Length
    18''/29"/33"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Where do I find [x]? (for newbies!)

What a great idea for a thread! I will probably add to this later.
    ☼ Men are that they might have joy. ☼

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I found my MO (mineral oil) and some of my turbie towels on ebay. J&J baby oil isn't really sold in a lot of places around here, so... ebay is a nice place to find things you can't find elsewhere. And there's Etsy for more handcrafted items.

Also for Belgian and Dutch people, your local "Action" (discount store) is a nice resource for cheap and discounted hair items such as shampoo and conditioner. They used to carry turbie towels, but don't seem to anymore.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Amazon, I really find that a great place for so many things. Ebay too but I don't have an account there so have the hassle of using my sister's one.

I buy most oils and essential oils on Amazon although Avocado and Rice bran oil I buy in my supermarket as they are cheaper for the same brand. ACV I buy in the supermarket too. Some oils, particularly Ayurvedic blends like the mahabhringraj oil I buy from the Indian grocers as it's ridiculously expensive on both ebay and amazon in comparison. Most Indian herbs I get from the grocers too, for the same reason.

For bulk buying essential oils I use http://www.essentialoilsdirect.co.uk/ but that's a UK wholesale site so I'm not sure what use it is for people in other countries.
    Actually for people who don't live near an area with Indian grocers then this website is good for herbs http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/

Etsy is popular here though I've never used it myself. If I think of any others then I'll add more here.

ETA for those turban towel things I've found them in the 99p store and poundland. I also brought one from Amazon. I brought my satin sleep caps on Amazon too.
    Last edited by ChloeDharma; March 6th, 2015 at 11:58 AM.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Great thread!

here in the midwest, I find:
    Coconut oil-- grocery, super-Walmart or Meijer; usually in the baking aisle near the shortening/Crisco
    ACV -- same store: sometimes in the salad dressing aisle
    EVOO-- same place, baking aisle

I don't use turbie towels--Torrin Paige uses a t-shirt, so that's what I do too!

ETA: I order henna from hennasooq.com.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Oh! I remembered a few.

- Satin sleep caps: Walmart carries them in the same section where they sell relaxers and St. Helen's Cholesterol. Some drug stores have similar sections, and usually have them hanging near the top.
    - Cheap cone-free conditioners: Your local grocery store! Suave is my favourite cone-free. It's usually about a dollar or two. A lot of dollar stores seem to carry it as well.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

silk pillowcases: amazon! http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Mulberr.../dp/B0040UU43Y
    silk sleep cap: Sally's
    argan oil: I've been buying online from this website: https://www.taprootfarmsak.com/
    coconut oil: grocery store cooking aisle

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Another silk pillowcase suggestion: Dharma trading. http://www.dharmatrading.com/clothin...illowcase.html
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    bob/39"/44"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Silk pillowcases: NY & NJ Walmart, target, and many supermarkets in the "ethnic hair care" sections.
    Tea tree oil: Natural food stores, the nail care section of CVS in Staten Island
    Denman brushes: Sally beauty supply.
    Apple cider vinegar: Natural food aisle of the grocery store if you want it with "the mother."
    Coconut Oil: best prices are in Trader Joe unless you have a Costco membership and can get a ginormous tub for $17
    Claire's and Icing have plastic hair sticks which are cheap (and aesthetically attractive) for beginners.
    Castor oil: if you can't find the Jamaican Black kind, the local pharmacy has it in the digestive health section, it's a laxative.

New growth is wild brickworld13's Avatar
    Length
    SHL/TB/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

JoAnn Fabric and Crafts regularly takes fabric pieces less than a yard and sells them at at least 50% off as remnants. (Can be discounted even further during sales. Like that one time I got 3/4 yard of gorgeous brocade for $2.) Sometimes there are some really nice materials. Stop by from time to time and dig through the bins. They also sell a wide variety of DIY supplies that you can use for hair related crafting.

I get my hair ties from any store that sells kids clothes. I just use the terry cloth ones. U-pins from Sally's. Olive oil and coconut oil from the grocery store. Yarn from any store that sells it, but natural fibers are better for parandas. Synthetic fibers leave a fair amount of lint.
    The Harmonious Rachel, Songbird in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!