Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sedr (Zizyphus Spina Christi)

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Zizyphus Spina Christi

Thanks Flaxen, I thought that I remembered something about it when I googled it, the name sounded familier. I remember it from about the time I joined.

On the edge of my forest!

Length
    bsl/waist/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

The last time I hennaed my hair I used 100g alma, 100g henna, 100g cassisa, and 25 grams zizyphus. I really liked the way my hair came out, but I'm not sure I used enough zizyphus to really make any difference.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have used it - it removed a LOT of my henndigo!

It left my hair soft, but dull and coated-looking. I then had to shampoo and condition, but my hair was in fabulous condition afterwards. So I would look at it as a pre-wash conditioner (but only if you are prepared to lose some henna/indigo!)

Smile Re: Zizyphus Spina Christi

I got a little zizyphus from H4H a while ago, only used it once. My hair felt a bit thicker but not more conditioned. It's been a while. I should try it again.

Length
    bob/MB/WL
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Sedr (Zizyphus Spina Christi)

Quote Originally Posted by Flaxen View Post
    That's unnecessarily expensive. Read about my adventures, including sources, with Persian Seder/lotus/sedr in the archives.

More about lotus powder.
    Is anyone still using lotus/sedr for cleansing, conditioning, or thickening? TIA

Lady Tangocurl of the Scepter-Twined Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    Currently BSL in the back when stretched, and a couple inches shy of BSL in the front. Very basic 3a. No cones. No heat styling.

Length
    bob/MB/WL
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Sedr (Zizyphus Spina Christi)

OK sports fans, so I went ahead and washed my hair with Lotus/sedr powder. It was grassy and twiggy and took a while to rinse out. I left it on for about five minutes before washing and used a couple tablespoons of the herb mixed in water to make a paste.

I noticed no ill effects, no darkening or lightening or drying.

It did seem to make my hair feel thicker, and my shed hairs on the drain looked thicker, like "M" hairs! But that could be due to all the coconut and castor oil I've been using, and I hadn't washed my hair in 2 or 3 days.

I noticed another thing--it left a pleasant satiny coating on my hands, which also felt good on my face.

As for straightening, maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, but when I was putting my hair into a bun, the wet ponytail was not starting to curl up as much as it usually would. It stayed straight. It also felt different in my hands--subtly stronger and with that satiny feel.

I took my hair out of the bun to see what it would look like halfway dry. I combed it so it would give more of a 2c effect (plopping and other "Curly Girl" care allows for my true 3a curl pattern). Normally combing while damp would destroy the curl pattern and turn it into yucky waves, not uber-cool Norah Jones waves. My waves seem less frizzy. The curl pattern appears to be ever-so-slightly relaxed.

So, I am now wondering whether a more intensive treatment with this stuff--say, the way one would do a cassia--would have a more marked strengthening, thickening, or curl relaxing effect.

I invite others to experiment and share experiences....

ETA: once my hair dried, I don't think I noticed much....of anything....perhaps I should try this as a muddy paste, left on a lot longer. Not really in the mood to clean the shower again for a while, LOL...
    Last edited by tangocurl; August 30th, 2009 at 04:02 PM.

Lady Tangocurl of the Scepter-Twined Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    Currently BSL in the back when stretched, and a couple inches shy of BSL in the front. Very basic 3a. No cones. No heat styling.

janicelesa

Does anyone know how this compares to the shikakai, another popular indian herb for cleaning hair? I've purchased shikakai but haven't used yet.

Length
    20"/20"/40"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Hi, yes I use this and love it... it cleans my hair .... it smells clean... I use it in a shampoo bar.
    Star
    Last edited by Star Eagle; February 21st, 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Length
    apl/hip/bcl
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I have zizyphus spina christi, but i haven't used it yet. I'm going to use it like cassia: it's an error? what's the difference beetwen zizyphus and cassia??

Length
    22"/28"/32"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

zizyphus. zizyphus. just fun to say, really.

*wanders off, aware i'm not helpful*