Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When was your last bad haircut?

Length
    31/31/35
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default When was your last bad haircut?

Mine was at the end of January. I didn't lose a dramatic amount of hair, however because I had to get it fixed (which required more cutting), I lost more than I wanted.

I have been growing my hair out from a "Victoria Beckham" bob for 7 years. My hair is long and fine, and after recently giving birth, thin at the ends. I had been going to my "new" regular stylist (my last one was consistently taking wayyy to much off during trims) at an upscale salon every month for the past few months to trim it and clean it up while my thin hair fills in. She had been doing a fabulous job and I was getting a lot of compliments on my hair since she had been doing it, so I didn't hesitate at all when I went in for a good trim.

When I got home from my appointment, I noticed that the front didn't look right (I didn't ask to change the cut at all, just to trim it like I had been every time prior: Straight across the back, soft angling in the front). I returned the following day and asked my stylist to take a look at it. She said that it looked great, but that there was one little piece that needed trimmed. She does a quick snip, tweaks it a bit, then declares it "perfect." I glance in the mirror, then rush out. When I get home, I take a closer look, part and style it a little... and am horrified. My stylist did not make my hair better, she made it worse: She cut a big chunk right out of the front. I immediately rush out of the house to a nearby salon that says that I'm either going to have to loose length off my whole head to fix it or that I'm just going to have to deal with it until it grows out. I don't want to cut my freshly cut waist-length hair any shorter, so I drive home in tears, then show my husband who immediately notices that a "chunk is missing from your hair" before I even have to point it out. The fact that my husband even notices the problem says that it must be pretty obvious. He suggested I go to a different salon (salon #3), and have them clean it up the best they can without letting them take off any length until it grows in enough to fix it. I text photos to my stylist to show her the issue; she didn't respond.

The next day, I drove to a nice salon near my house where the stylist really took her time fixing my hair while trying to keep as much of the length as possible. Not only had the front been botched, but the back had been cut quite crooked. I was very happy with the outcome, and it looked very beautiful despite it being a bit shorter than I had initially hoped.

So, it wasn't a complete hair disaster, and it was able to be fixed with minimal length loss, but my question is: WHEN DO WE STOP GETTING BAD HAIRCUTS?? Does it ever stop or are we going to be forever shocked by a hairstylist having a bad day or by a scissor happy stylist that thinks that 1 inch is 3 inches? And do we ever stop crying about it? I asked my friend this same question, and she said that she still cries every time she gets a bad haircut. I've considered cutting my own hair, but I'm a real perfectionist and rather enjoy the occasional salon trip... when it goes as planned.

I am trying to post pictures of the ordeal, but I don't think I'm able to yet.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: When was your last bad haircut?

Thankfully, my last bad salon-inflicted one was back in high school. I was on swim team at the time and I knew I needed something substantially shorter and perhaps thinner so I could get it into a latex swim cap without giving myself headaches. (That never did work. My hair isn't nearly as bulky as my big ol' head is!) Asked for some layering, starting maybe at collarbone and going down from there, probably brought in a picture of Julia Roberts or someone like that. Well, I ended up with cheek-length slabby layers and the whole thing was just a mess.

I've had some self-inflicted stuff too. Not nearly so bad, but maybe 2 years ago I actually succumbed to my husband's "you'd look so cute with bangs!" comments. First I tried some long tapering layers again, and eventually did full-on bangs. I attempted to make them side-swept, only to learn that my hair doesn't actually side-sweep. Instead, it perches on top of my glasses and decides to make some flippy half-curl things. Turns out my forehead is rather wide relative to height, so my hair would have to be growing sideways to actually pull this off. I put up with it a few months, trimmed back the bangs a few times when they started poking my eyeballs too bad, and generally tried to ignore the fact that I couldn't moisturize my dry itchy forehead without getting piecey bangs.

Needless to say, the bangs are growing out. So is the little chunk that I cut too much of when I thought maybe I'd clean up the nape of my neck a bit, which now falls out of every updo and braid and sits on my neck looking like it got lost on its way to a mullet convention.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Just Wandering Through AspenSong's Avatar
    Length
    13"/Chin/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i

For me, I stopped getting bad haircuts when I stopped getting haircuts. Now, that's not a stylist bash - I've had plenty of good haircuts and dealings with people cutting my hair. In fact the last time I ever went to get a haircut, 5 years ago - I asked for about 6" off because I was trying to get rid of bleach damage and the woman took off about 4" and told me my hair wasn't terrible past that and seemed pretty good and she wanted me to know I didn't have to go shorter than that. But I feel for me the only thing that's stopped me disliking how my hair turned out from a cut, whether it was the person cutting my hair or the cut I chose not being right for my hair type, was just no more haircuts! haha. Self trimming is super awesome for me. Partly because my hair is so fine and thin, there's not huge room for errors and it's not like I have much hair to cut through so it's always totally even and fine.

Now, to bad haircuts. I've had a few. Most involve layers, so they weren't all the stylists fault persay, but that my hair isn't right for that cut. I had one guy cut my hair into basically two layers. It was like he gathered the top canopy of my hair, all the way around my head, and cut 5" off. So it was just this blunt layer around my head. It was horrible. I ended up just cutting it all off the same length at a different stylist not long after. Then I had several cuts where I either got kind of talked into a shag by the stylist to give my fine hair "body" or I asked for some layers and they cut them all over and waaaay too short. The really short layer cut that I got, I had about APL hair and asked for just a few longer layers around the ends....somehow, I got all over layers and at the time I had long, about cheekbone length bangs - the shortest layers in the cut at the top of my head, were about eyebrow length. Yeah.....not a fun one.
    One of the other worst was just stupid. I went in for a trim and the guy (I have not had luck with male stylists) parted my hair off center and cut it. I didn't pay enough attention because I was with a friend and I went home and realized, hey....if I part my hair normally, down the center, I've got like 1/2"+ longer hair on this side. *smh*
    Lady Nyx, Possessor of The bewhytchd Lens in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and owner of the floaty hair, Féileacán.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

When I was 17 and about to graduate. I'll spare you the details (but a trainee totally butchered my hair). That was over 2 decades ago, so yeah. My hair just never did well with salons.

And there's plenty of ways to do it yourself, or have a loved one do it for you.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I've only had a few bad experiences with stylists. Most of them stem from "here let's razor-layer it and blowdry it and then flatiron it and it will look completely different and be completely unmanageable with your natural hair texture once you wash it at home" attitudes. The only one that I really hated was actually a perfect cut, the stylist did exactly what I asked, and it looked great and it wasn't hard to style at all, it's just that I asked for a pixie cut and within a couple of weeks I regretted it deeply and vowed Never Again. I mean, I wouldn't expect her to have talked me out of the cut or anything, it was my own mistake, but it took 3 years to get my hair as long as it was before the chop.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    26/30/34
    Type
    2b/F/ii

3 weeks ago. I had long "bangs" as most on here call them about chin length and decided I wanted then shorter sgain and kind of side swept. My stylist used that raspy razor thing, the noise freaks me, but I'm happy with the result. The bad part is she then moved to the other side. I wear my hair in a side part. Before I realised what she was doing she grabbed a piece of my hair , bra strap length, and dragged the razor down it. I now have fine whisky bits starting at cheekbones, down my right hand side. She saw the shock on my face and started explaining it would look "softer" when my hair was up. Not so much, it just looks messy with the fine whispy bits all falling out of my buns.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

My last bad hair cut was about the time I joined here. It was bsl but layered and crooked. I went to get it evened up and a perm. Big mistake I got fried hair from the perm and broken hair. This was in September I joined June the following year. I didn't gain anything but more broken hair big chunks by this time. I was about to shave it and buy a wig. My hair was that bad and my brother found this site and he cut my hair to collar bone. That got rid of my damage. Not all the damage but it made it more manageable. I used monistat and mane n tail shampoo and conditioner. When it was pony tail length I wore it that way then in a bun. I practiced benign neglect. My hair grew good until bsl I had layers I grew out. Then breakage I grew out and now I'm growing to waist. I've been on a three year journey of growing my hair.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    BSL/BCL/BCL
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I've had so many bad haircuts I cant even count. My last one was May 2013, I asked for a simple trim and got horrible choppy layers with a chunk missing in the front. I tried to live with it but 2 weeks later I had my husband even it out as best he could while preserving length. Since then I've been growing and trimming and by the end of this year the bad layers will all be gone and I will be around hip length. My husband is getting quite good at trimming, we learn something every time and I trust him more than any other stylist. I trim my bangs and he trims the length so no need to go to a salon anymore.

Length
    17/45/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

My last bad haircut was 3 years ago, but I've had my fair share of bad experiences in my lifetime. Most of the cases involve a stylist who, like you said, is a bit "scissor happy" and doesn't really know what an inch looks like, but I've also had a few stylists who decide to experiment and my hair winds up the victim.

The last one involved a stylist at Great Clips who made a monumentally huge mistake with my hair, then attempted to fix it, but only made it worse. I had two blunt layers - one at my shoulder and one at my waist - and all I wanted was a trim with some light layering on the ends. To this day, I'm still not 100% sure what she was thinking to have screwed it up so severely and when all was said it done, she was quite insistent that she didn't do anything wrong. After that stunt, I went back a few weeks later to have it fixed - which of course made it worse. Then, I finally bit the bullet and went to an expensive salon where the stylist spent a good two hours trying to fix the mess from Great Clips. In the end, I sacrificed a good 12+ inches of hair and learned a very, very valuable lesson!

Since then, I've trimmed my own hair - just did so recently to tidy up my ends and while it's far from perfect, I'm still much more pleased with my own work versus having someone else butcher it.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Most of my bad cuts have been done by yours truly. Somehow 3 AM always seems like a perfect time to try a new extempore hair cut, lol! I have mostly done my own hair for the past 10 + years, before that I mostly went to salons. Salon visits in my life have been really quite positive experiences, ofcourse there has been little something here and there, but never anything traumatizing.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.