Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there life after post partum shedding?

Length
    Buzzc/Shl/Clsc?
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Is there life after post partum shedding?

Sooooo..... I think it is starting for me, but it coincides with my yearly summer shed (end of july-beginning of august) had for years and years.
    My hair is almost tailbone length as of now and I am wondering, is a post partum shed something like a yearly shed? My circumference went up with something like a cm (it was 8.5-9 before I got pregnant, right now it is 9.5 cm), so it is realistic to say I will lose that cm.
    How did you cope with postpartum shed if you had below hiplength hair? Did it tangle like crazy? Was it an overall shed? Did it only thin in the ends or was it everywhere on your head?
    Reached classic in 2012. Cut off all my hair summer 2012 to pixie. Buzzed it all off in 2016. Growing since then!
    On my way to APL.

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Is there life after post partum shedding?

well, they say that you'll get a big shed, and it will seem thin for a while, but then it starts to grow back in...and you'll have that sort of layer thing as if someone thinned your hair.

I lost a lot of hair when I lost my job and you can really see where it hit. The hair is coming back, but the ends are thin and for a while I had little hairs trying to escape all my updos.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Velvet_Cat/Hair/solstice002.jpg

Lady Velvyte of the Blackynd Rose in the Order of the Long haired Knights.

Length
    shdlr/30.5/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

You get the postpartum shed because the pregnancy hormones kept your hair from shedding while you were pregnant. Right now you are losing 9 months worth of hair! So in reality, your hair will be no thinner than it would of been at this time had you never gotten pregnant, it just seems thinner because you were used to your thick pregnant locks.

That mother nature can sure pull a trick or two...

ship me back to bahston Patrycja's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/BSL!!/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

I've never been much of a shedder,but with 2 pregancies in one year-I lost ALOT of hair.My youngest is 7 months and I'm still pulling out bunches when I wash.So,for me,I'm cutting down the washing to once maybe twice a week and not brushing.I gently finger comb.I'm also part of the updo challenge,I just want to make sure that I'm not manipulating my hair anymore than necessary.

I agree with velvetcat.It seems like someone thinned my hair but did it a little too much I don't remember how long a part partum shed lasts,my oldest is 8 years old.So,I'm not any help with that.Maybe taking vitamins will help you out some?
    Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    pixie/shldr/?

I had a lot of pp shedding with both of my kids (5 and 3). The sheds lasted between 6 wks to 2 months and started around 4 months pp. It went beyond just losing what I'd retained while pg; it was a BIG shedding.

BUT, it does eventually stop and my hair came back. I can't help you with the long hair-related question; I had just below shoulder length hair the first time, which I cut short after the shedding, and short hair the second time.

Nothing helped stem the shed - it's just something you have to live through. Just hold on to your cute babe and it'll end soon enough

Length
    Buzzc/Shl/Clsc?
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by NurseMama View Post
    You get the postpartum shed because the pregnancy hormones kept your hair from shedding while you were pregnant. Right now you are losing 9 months worth of hair! So in reality, your hair will be no thinner than it would of been at this time had you never gotten pregnant, it just seems thinner because you were used to your thick pregnant locks.

That mother nature can sure pull a trick or two...
    I know this is the scientific answer to post partum shedding. The dormant state is prolonged before the hair sheds.
    The funny thing is, that I still had my August shed last year while I was 1.5-2 months pregnant!

Maybe taking vitamins will help you out some?
    Don't know yet! I kept/keep taking my prenatals because of breastfeeding so it'll take a while before I can say it can help with shedding.

I do know WHY pp shedding happens, but it seems you all say you get some kind of layering in your hair. But no explicit thinning in the ends?
    Reached classic in 2012. Cut off all my hair summer 2012 to pixie. Buzzed it all off in 2016. Growing since then!
    On my way to APL.

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I had a big shed and then had a bunch of fuzzies around my face where it started growing back. I think I sill probably have some weird layers from the new hair growth. I seriously didn't know how I had any hair left with all the shedding I was doing though. It was so gross...hair was everywhere.

Length
    --/Fgrtp/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Mine was mostly around the sides. It lasted such a long time (after second baby and probably due to bcp)

It does tangle alot at the ends. But not so much now as there are fewer shedding and gtting caught. My ends are fine but getting better. Regularish trims are the best cure. I do have a few different phases of baby hairs growing that will eventually catch up.

post partum shedding or any shedding is a pita but you just have to put up with it and try to see a positive. (one for me was that my too small medium ficcares fit me now.)

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I just got pregnant about a month ago and am wondering if post-partum shedding is an inevitable thing? I've spent so much time and effort improving my fine, thin hair and am really hoping I can hang onto as much of it as I can.

Is it something I can improve with vitamins, better nutrition, less washing, more washing, etc etc?

So far, my hair seems to still be shedding, though perhaps less than normal. Maybe the pregnant no-shed hair is something that happens later? All I know is that I am sooooo tired, and quitting caffeine doesn't make that any easier!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    30/30/32+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I never noticed loosing anymore hair postpartum then any other time. I have pretty thick hair and I seem to shed alot Most of the time. I don't really lose much in thickness, regardless of shed, so I just don't worry about it, usually.

It might just be the time of year and a shed time for you.