Page 3 of 184 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Rinse-out oil (ROO) / Oil Rinse

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Rinse-out oil

Quote Originally Posted by veryhairyfairy View Post
    Right? TBH I was really surprised this last wash that I didn't end up with clumpy greasy hair. It looks great after a night of absorbing/rubbing off, now. To me it doesn't even look oiled anymore.
    But hey, I bet your locks are a LOT less thirsty than my own, so a tablespoon of oil could be a nightmare for you!
    It's just that I still condition twice, and do LOC after, so... yeah a tablespoon might be too much.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Account Closed by Member Request

right in the shower is pretty much the only time i do not use oil, although its still on my hair from the pre poo.
    i tried to other way of oilrinsing a few times, since apparently the warm water makes it easier for the oil to spread and penetrate deeper, buti never had problems with that and didnt really notice a difference.

anyways, ihave everything i would need to try that out at home anyways, so i might as well give it a shot next time i wash.
    i have sesame and macadamia oil to finish, so im gonna be generous.

btw, someone mentioned dry oil. its pretty much just that the carrier evaporated and leaves the tiniest little amount of actual oil on the skin. its a nice effect but i would rather use a concentrated oil sparingly. ihave this wild argan dry oil from bodyshop and also the butter. they both work great but while the oil is almost finished, the butter which is kore intense is still pretty full. price is about the same

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by wilderwein View Post
    its that http://www.sephora.com/divine-oil-P374502 let me now if any of the ingredients are bad for hair couse some of them I dont actually now what they are o.o
    It looks really good, and light enough to be used as a leave-in shine serum on dry hair and a great skin oil, too, at least that's how I would probably use it, instead of an oil rinse. Also, judging by its ingredients, it can probably be distributed on hair pretty well without any help of hot water.
    Whereas oil rinse method is useful for natural oils that are hard to distribute evenly: the hot water and steam really help.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhairyfairy View Post
    I actually tried this method last year and found it to be too many steps for me in the shower, so I just add the same amount of oil to my last conditioner and only apply from the shoulders down. I'm loving what adding oil to my conditioner is doing, and it takes me so much less time than sealing my hair afterward (a la the LOC method).
    That's exactly why I haven't done oil rinses in a long while. I found that adding oil to conditioner gives almost identical results anyway. So either I have to introduce an extra step (oil rinse) or I have to introduce an extra jar (where I mix conditioner and oil(s)). Either way works very well, and either way can lead to over-oiling, of course.

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

So I decided to try this method. Was shampooing and lapushka's avatar came like an apparation into my head and I thought "I shall brave the cold and try that method".

Anyway, so what I have done is:

Wash scalp with Aussie shampoo with some boots conditioner on length.

Johnson Mineral Oiled, added Herbal Essences hairmask and conditioner. Washed it all out.
    Now it is all drying.

Usually I apply some Nightblooming Panacea or a bit of oil of sorts afterwards just to keep the moisture in, but for the sake of this experiment I'm not sure whether to not do this, or do it anyway?
    I also haven't watched the video yet, so I'm not sure if I'm trying to avoid dry hair or obtain better waves. But either way, I'll report results. Suggestions on whether to oil or not damp hair are welcome as my hair sloooooooooowly dries
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSheep View Post
    Usually I apply some Nightblooming Panacea or a bit of oil of sorts afterwards just to keep the moisture in, but for the sake of this experiment I'm not sure whether to not do this, or do it anyway?
    I also haven't watched the video yet, so I'm not sure if I'm trying to avoid dry hair or obtain better waves. But either way, I'll report results. Suggestions on whether to oil or not damp hair are welcome as my hair sloooooooooowly dries
    How great! I was going to mention on the No Trimming Challenge thread that oil rinses might work well for you, if the splits concerns are due to dryness. If you are wearing hair up all the time, then yes, I'd add a drop or two of oil to the ends as the hair is drying. If not, and you are worried about the potential greasies, you can always wait till the hair is dry and judge at that point whether to add Panacea or oils.

Oh, and hair dries more slowly when it's more saturated with oil and other conditioning agents with occlusive action.

Best of luck, DreamSheep! And let us know how it works!

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    How great! I was going to mention on the No Trimming Challenge thread that oil rinses might work well for you, if the splits concerns are due to dryness. If you are wearing hair up all the time, then yes, I'd add a drop or two of oil to the ends as the hair is drying. If not, and you are worried about the potential greasies, you can always wait till the hair is dry and judge at that point whether to add Panacea or oils.

Oh, and hair dries more slowly when it's more saturated with oil and other conditioning agents with occlusive action.

Thanks meteor!

I did notice that my hair used to dry super quickly which I thought was odd - but now I use oil treatments a lot more my hair does take much longer to do so, and I notice the ends seems moist and supple for 1-3 days longer than they would otherwise (I wash every 7-14 days).

I'll probably add a smidge of oil to the ends and Panacea as per usual then ^^ And I'll report on any differences I notice regarding the oil rinse.
    Thanks for all of your valuable advice!
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Yes, good luck & let us know how it went!!!

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

2 hours in and thought I'd let you know my hair is still damp and in a towel. Usually by this stage my scalp hair is no longer moist and is dry, and I can let it air dry.
    Currently, it looks semi dry but feels moist. Hopefully I didn't overdo the oil and this is just the moisture being locked in. Other thing I wonder is, can this method cause "hygral fatigue" - have read about that here and there on the forum, about water causing the hairshaft to swell and possibly weakening it.

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Results:

It took aaaaages to fully dry but it is now dry. My hair dried out a little bit stringy (this will go if I brush), but not as stringy as once when I used way to much coconut oil. My hair is basically 2b right now, and has shrunk from BCL to high hip. Or from just beneath belly button to just below boob length
    Back

Front (cousin Itting)

It always looks wavier in person for some reason:

Anyway, so far I like it other than the long drying time.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Maybe try less oil next time, DreamSheep! I'm still going to try this after shampoo this coming Sunday, but I'm only going to use a few drops of MO. That normally shouldn't mess with drying time. I think. I love your waves and think it looks darn good!