Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 1814

Thread: Rinse-out oil (ROO) / Oil Rinse

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Rinse-out oil (ROO) / Oil Rinse

Quote Originally Posted by Wendyp View Post
    Also I would like to add weather has an impact, on my hair anyway. We're having "winter" in Fla and there's very low humidity. I was using abt 1/2 tsp really babassu oil and some on the ends post shower but now it's making my ends stringy. Not entirely sure why, but weather is the only change.
    Odd, because I use the same amount year round, but... I weekly clarify, with a good harsh sulfate. Could that be part of it?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Lapushka Yeah maybe, I did clarify last night but then used same about of oil and it was stringy. My hair is just weird. It's super hyper sensitive to weather. AND now all of a sudden it's super curly from the shoulders down ..like really curly.
    I have never been sulfate free b4 the last couple months and I have bern focusing on moisture.
    Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Did anyone try this method without conditioning at all?
    I think I'm gonna be trying it tomorrow -- just shampoo and rinse-out oil

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lovelyt View Post
    Did anyone try this method without conditioning at all?
    I think I'm gonna be trying it tomorrow -- just shampoo and rinse-out oil
    Yeah but this method includes the conditioner. If you just shampoo, then use the oil, it's more like a leave-in after you wash.

Length
    SL/MBL/HL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I am currently trying to refine my ROO method, and wonder if anyone could offer further input for consideration than what I have already learned:

Before joining the LHC I had been very heavily oiling, the whole length, including scalp, overnight before every other shower (twice a week CO only), with almond oil, but always shed an awful lot. I have since ditched the conditioner I had been using (the reason I needed to oil my scalp in the first place, as it was too drying) and am using a conditioner that my scalp is much happier with, and now only need to oil the length.
    As I am no longer oiling my scalp, I have found that my hair can now take heavier oils, that I would not have been able to get away with before, like sunflower oil, and I would like to try out some oils that, according to the Scienc-y Hair Blog, have better penetration than almond oil. My caveats being: 1. Nothing that is solid at room temperature (my hair has never been so horribly unmanageable, tangled, and awful looking as when I tried coconut oil or shea butter), and 2. Nothing with a comedogenic rating above 2, or that is known to be a skin irritant, drying to the skin, or has health concerns surrounding it (anything I put on my hair inevitably ends up effecting parts of my skin, and my skin is VERY dry, sensitive, and finicky), so that rules out the likes of palm, castor, avocado, corn, canola, and mustard seed oil.

An additional potential concern I may have, that I have only recently become aware of from browsing through LHC information on oils, and could use some advice on, is drying oils. As someone who prefers to keep their hair-care products and routine as minimal as possible, and would rather not need to ever have to clarify going forward, should I completely steer clear of drying oils? Or are there benefits to using them that would outweigh the inconvenience/harshness of occasional clarifying? Could they perhaps have once-off or very occasional benefits without causing build up? Perhaps, as a cone-like natural alternative for split end prevention? Or to form a seal around dyed hair to prevent colour fading? Would they be good for adding weight to wispy fly-away hair without a significant downside for someone who's hair does not tolerate protein? Or would the fact that I only use oil pre-wash, never post-wash, defeat that purpose? (I can drench my hair with oil pre-wash, plastering it to my head and back so that the oil is literally dripping off the ends, and it will still feel and look good after a shower, however, even 1 drop of oil, applied after a shower, will prevent my hair from drying for at least 24 hours, and also make it look greasy and stringy even when dry.)

Another concern I have regarding oils, is the potential for them to strip the colour out of my hair (I use plain natural indigo powder as a black hair-dye once a month), as I have read that both coconut and olive oil should be avoided for that reason, and I also discovered, too late, that this is true of grapeseed oil as well. Unlike the information on penetrating and drying oils, I have been unable to find a list measuring the likelihood of various oils leeching out dye, and do not understand the mechanisms involved to be able to make an educated guess on that regarding any particular oil.

With all of the above applied to narrowing down my selection of oils, I believe only babassu oil comes out as a better alternative to my usual almond oil. Unfortunately, I cannot buy babassu oil here, so, I will have to order it online. Does anyone have recommendations for good brands that do not adulterate it? And is it worth the price? I use as much oil as I can pour into a cupped hand, x2, when I oil my hair, so I would go through a small bottle very fast, and my hair has not even reached my goal length yet.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

If you're using the rinse-out method then concerns about penetration and drying are moot - your only concern would be about skin, and then it's just a case of finding ones that work for you.

Your questions might be better suited to one of the more general oils threads (or you could even start your own thread if you wanted). This one is about the specific rinse-out method, between washing and conditioning it sounds like you are pre-wash oiling, which is completely different.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    SL/MBL/HL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Ah, my apologies! I mistakenly though ROO was the same term used to refer to pre-conditioner oiling, whether one uses shampoo or not, heh.
    Last edited by Outmoded; February 7th, 2022 at 11:42 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yep, Spoons said it. ROO(M) is rinse out oil method aka a simple oil rinse. Meaning you apply a little bit of oil (usually) to the lengths of your hair (usually) after shampooing and before conditioning.

There's other threads for other methods, I'm sure!

BTW, I have yet to meet an oil that strips color, if that were the case, I'm sure those of us wanting to get rid of dye would be oiling like mad.

Length
    SL/MBL/HL
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Yep, my bad.

Well, I tried using grapeseed oil for the first time over the past few weeks, and my black indigo-ed hair now has faded auburn streaks (and my natural colour is grey, so no idea how that happened - the bottom half of my hair, which is chemically dyed black, looks the same as before), which has never happened with almond oil. And I was shown this: https://silknstone.com/how-to-remove...rom-your-hair/
    Last edited by Outmoded; February 7th, 2022 at 04:27 PM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

That's OK. Just wanted to point out that in fact, it is different, wish I could answer your questions, but... I'm a little unsure on pre-shampoo oiling.