Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writing some code to calculate length needed to make buns...

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Writing some code to calculate length needed to make buns...

So I'm practicing some maths and programming skills, and the LHC geek inside me is trying to write some code to calculate how long your hair needs to be in inches to achieve certain buns, given your ponytail circumference in cm. I've written some veeeeery basic code for LWB, my Nautilus bun and a Figure of 8 bun, but was wondering if people could post at more or less what length in inches they could get these buns to work (measured the LHC way), and ponytail circumference, just to see if my approximations are correct. Particularly with the Figure of 8 bun I think I've not chosen the best way to break it down, but if I get a nice model, it would be a nice resource to go on.
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Writing some code to calculate length needed to make buns...

This is very interesting! I've always thought that "braid bumps" might have a good correlation with what hairstyles work, because it would account for thickness, taper, and texture. I don't know how to collect the data though--maybe check out the "Count your braid bumps" thread?

Length
    <3in/Chin?/TMI
    Type
    2a/M/ii

You presumably want stretched length for non-straighties?
    I could first do a LWB when my hair was about 22" stretched. A bit shorter maybe. Circumference was 3.25".
    I managed my first figure 8 bun today 26" stretched / 24" wavy. Circumference is probably the same but I don't want to measure right now.
    Last edited by two_wheels; January 13th, 2015 at 02:18 PM.

Length
    15/47/48
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Oh, this is interesting. I've never attempted a figure 8 until my hair was about 2.5" from BCL unstretched/just shy of BCL stretched. My guess is I could have pulled it off at a little past waist length, so I'll say 32/33" I have a ponytail circumference of 4.25"
    APL~BSL~WL~HL~BCL~TBL~CL!!!
    Lady Arete of The Waltzing Blades in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Thanks for this guys! I converted the circumference to cm - this is what my programme returns. Based on your replies, I am going to guess that Helix bun and Figure of 8 bun are a bit off. I added 22cm to the ponytail length for it to be LHC length, so if you take 8-9'' off the final value, that would be the needed ponytail length. However, it also assumes there is no taper, so I guess this would ideally give an upper bar for how long your hair would need to be, on the other hand, on some other buns it seems. That said, based on what you guys say, it seems like it might be a bit off (overestimating on Figure of 8 and helix, possibly underestimating on LWB and Nautilus?).
    More replies are encouraged! If your hair is already long enough to make a bun, you could make it and then mark with your fingers where the minimum length needed ends, and calculate more or less how many extra inches/cm of hair you have to get an idea of the needed length.
    I feel so geeky doing this!
    Quote Originally Posted by two_wheels View Post
    You presumably want stretched length for non-straighties?
    I could first do a LWB when my hair was about 22" stretched. A bit shorter maybe. Circumference was 3.25".
    I managed my first figure 8 bun today 26" stretched / 24" wavy. Circumference is probably the same but I don't want to measure right now.
    Nautilus bun (the type I make with a half twist): You need 60.1 cm or 23.6 inches
    LWB: You need 47.4 cm or 18.7 inches
    Figure of 8 bun: You need 69.3 cm or 27.3 inches
    Helix Bun: You need 85.8 cm or 33.8 inches

Quote Originally Posted by Arete View Post
    Oh, this is interesting. I've never attempted a figure 8 until my hair was about 2.5" from BCL unstretched/just shy of BCL stretched. My guess is I could have pulled it off at a little past waist length, so I'll say 32/33" I have a ponytail circumference of 4.25"
    Nautilus bun (half-twist): You need 68.1 cm or 26.8 inches
    Lazy Wrap Bun: You need 55.3 cm or 21.8 inches
    Figure of 8 bun: You need 90.7 cm or 35.7 inches
    Helix bun: You need 112.3 cm or 44.2 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    Hanging around as long as you will let me
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

What about taper considerations?

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Diva View Post
    What about taper considerations?
    Taper is not really accounted for unfortunately (although I would like to), but in some of the formulas I have acknowledged this possibility.
    The measurements should theoretically apply for blunt hemlines, but a lot of buns I think mostly depend on circling round a thick central piece, so a minimum length is needed anyway.

Length
    15/47/48
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

For the helix bun, I've estimated that I'd need to be between TBl and Classic for it to work, and 44" is about in the middle of those two.
    APL~BSL~WL~HL~BCL~TBL~CL!!!
    Lady Arete of The Waltzing Blades in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    buzz/hip/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

i needed about 85 cm before i could do nautilus. my circumference is 13cm.

Length
    10/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

I found out today that I can just make an LWB. And the shortened chopstick my DH sanded down for me holds it just lovely.

I measured a about 2 weeks ago at 53cm, and my ponytail is 5cm. I think I have a few cm spare in the bun, if I was pushed.

I guess I would have to double my length to do the pretty helix bun.