Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Climate Shock!

Length
    21/38/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Climate Shock!

Wow.... Never realized how much my hair would hate it out west in a cold, dry climate! Two weeks ago I flew out to visit family in Wyoming (going from humid 80s to dry freezing temps). My hair is a staticky mess! I usually wash and rinse in cold water but when the thermostat in the house is set on 68... No way! I think hot water dries out my hair too much. I tried loading it up with a leave in but it ended up really gunking it up (and the water softener made my hair slimy when I rinsed it) My hair actually started breaking off. It hadn't done that in over a year.

I didn't bring my normal cheapo shampoo (to save space packing, etc.) so I used Biolage shampoo that my mom uses. I figured My hair could handle $30 a bottle shampoo for a few washes.... Uh, not quite. First of all, my mom has super fine hair and mine is definitely not.... Also, this shampoo and conditioner has something called starch acetate... Doesn't sound good, although they didn't have cones. Way too many variables to pinpoint what my hair truly didn't like but tomorrow I'll be back in central Florida and back to my cheapo suave coconut condish that my hair loves

if I ever moved back here, I'd definitely have to work on finding a different routine!
    Lady Chione, Snow-Dancing Nymph in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/Elbow/Elbow
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Default Re: Climate Shock!

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry your hair didn't like all those changes! Yikes, traveling can sure be a pain in the butt sometimes.

I was actually just contemplating this because I am also traveling right now and my hair is doing funky things. It's turned so slippery that nothing holds it! I always complain about the hard water back home, but I guess it has its advantages

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Yep, every time I travel, I'm shocked by how much the differences in humidity, temperature and water affect hair. And it's even more important for curly and wavy hair, IMHO.
    I envy you for living in Florida: I think hot and humid climate is great for hair.
    Oh, and I love this blogpost for on this issue: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...-humidity.html

just here for the cheese
    Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

here's what skin deep has to say: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredie...TARCH_ACETATE/ appears harmless. Good luck with climate change!
    With one religion, we cannot listen. With one color, we cannot see.
    With one culture, we cannot feel. Without you we can't even remember.

Length
    7"/32/70"
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii/iii

Oooo i am about to do a very similar trip in 4 days.

Going from southern georgia to northern michigan to visit my best friend! She recently mooved there this year!
    i hope it all goes well. I have never even seen snow! Let alone go to such a far up north state.

Length
    buzz/13/23
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I experienced a very similar thing when I went to Florida to visit my grandmother for a week. I did not bring any hair products at all, and was utterly shocked when my hair dried completely smooth and tangle free. It's crazy how much it affects you

Length
    WSL/WSL/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Ahhh, I'm sorry your hair is spazzing out. My hair loves water softeners - it makes it smooth, silky, tangle free. But I have a friend whose hair becomes very greasy with water softeners. She uses a mild clarifying shampoo to combat it. Maybe you could also make a tea rinse for the rest of your time there - I've heard someone on the forum using one to combat the slimyness..

Length
    BSL/Hip/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I usually carry bounce sheets around for the static (I live in a similar VERY dry climate).

Its funny how you get used to what you're around. When I went to hawaii/mexico/anywhere humid my hair is an absolute mess! My skin loves it, but I cannot go anywhere with my hair down haha.

Length
    MBL/to/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Born and raised in central Florida and don't miss it one bit! But boy does my hair hate the dryer Alabama winters. Thank god for SMTs

Life's short...Buy the hair toy...

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Almost certainly the humidity change.... Up in the northern US where we use furnaces to heat our homes, most of us literally have air heated by fire being blown through our living spaces. Combine that with the fact that the cold air we're starting with just doesn't hold as much moisture, and you've got a recipe for dry hair, dry skin, dry dry dry. Humidifiers can help, but it's crazy how much water the air could hold and doesn't. (I've got a hygrometer in the house, which is sitting right at about 20% relative humidity right now. That's pretty dry.)

Only suggestion I have is to mist with distilled water and bun your hair a lot. Less exposure to the air means less drying out. Enjoy Florida!
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!