Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Care Doubt

Length
    3/3/20
    Type
    3a/M/i/ii

Default Hair Care Doubt

I have seen ladies with very long think hair treating them very poorly. I mean the way they comb, pull their hair. Not washing regularly. Using inexpensive simple oil/shampoo. Still they get to have such beautiful long hair. We take so much of care and discuss about hair care and do the best for our hair still left with more complaints about hair loss, dry scalp. Is that nature that decides who would posses the great mane. However slowly I comb, I lose nearly 50-70 strands per day. If only 10 on one day, it would be 60 the next day. I oil it almost every day. treat it so gently. Wash it twice weekly. Use simple hairbands sans metal. Being a male not too much of styling too. It just keeps me wondering...

Length
    20"/46"/?
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: Hair Care Doubt

I wouldn't say that washing irregularly and using simple and inexpensive products is treating hair poorly. There are many threads on here about stretching the time between washes, benign neglect, using less products or none at all.

Losing 50-70 strands each day is perfectly normal.

Yes, genetics plays a massive part in the kind of hair people have. Colour, thickness, curl, waves or straightness, greying onset and certain kinds of hair loss are all determined by genetics.

I can't help noticing you are in India- I saw some of the most amazing hair I've ever seen in India.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Yep...I have girls on my team gym team who have hip lenght gorgeous hair and when we were away for a competition this year I noticed some of them simply ripping their hair with a brush immediately after washing. One girl got her brush stuck in a tangle and she's much younger than me so I felt fully justified to shout "STOOP IT", whipped out my wide toothed comb and helped her detangling gently. Then another girl came to me when she approached a tangle she couln't get through and I felt like the hairy godmother

But really, if that is how they treat their hair on every day basis, it's astounding how it can still look so good and be so thick and beautiful! I used to brush like that too and my lengths ended up thinning so severely I had to chop it all off.
    I notice a lot of people's hair grow a lot faster than mine too, so it's no problem for them to chop off a good four inches and still be at waist in a few weeks. It seems like to me anyway :P

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by furnival View Post
    I wouldn't say that washing irregularly and using simple and inexpensive products is treating hair poorly. There are many threads on here about stretching the time between washes, benign neglect, using less products or none at all.
    This exactly. I have been practicing benign neglect for years now with no adverse effects - on the contrary, my hair has never looked and felt better.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by askan View Post
    Then another girl came to me when she approached a tangle she couln't get through and I felt like the hairy godmother
    That is so sweet.

I would just advice people to not worry what others do. One can only make the best of their own situation.

Now you are at the crossroads of your life and all your roads lead to strange places

🦉

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Stop comparing yourself to others.Log off LHC,put your hair up,go do something else.
    Before you know it,you'll enjoy your hair again as it is.Or approach any drastic decisions with a clear mind.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'm a minimalist without complicated hair care, too. My ends are in the best condition that they've ever been at this length.

Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by askan View Post
    But really, if that is how they treat their hair on every day basis, it's astounding how it can still look so good and be so thick and beautiful! I used to brush like that too and my lengths ended up thinning so severely I had to chop it all off.
    I think that is exactly why healthy long hair is considered so unattainable by so many people, and considered so special and unique...
    That is probably also the base to all the "long hair must be damaged / unhealthy", "long hair always looks scraggly" and other such common believes, as with the haircare routine most people practice that usually becomes true...

Length
    18.5/24/37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

I was thinking the same thing today! A girl with thick TBL hair who goes to the same gym as me is able to go in the pool and then wash her hair, rip her brush through it whilst wet and blowdry it on the hot setting... around 4-5 times a week! You can't compare and worry about these things, though. We are all different, and what works great for one person could work terribly for another!

Type
    2a/F/i

I don't think the products you use have much to do about all around hair health. I think it's genes. I've seen people treat their hair horribly and still have beautiful long hair. I've also seen people who treat their hair bad, and you can definitely tell!

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!