Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best/Worst Hair Experiments of 2014

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Your Best/Worst Hair Experiments of 2014

As the year 2014 is quickly coming to an end, what are some of your best and worst hair care experiments/tips/products of 2014?
    What care tips will you bring into the new year 2015 and what do you want to leave behind?

Thank you so much, guys!
    And Happy Holidays!

Length
    25"/35.5"/---
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Your Best/Worst Hair Experiments of 2014

Worst experiment (kindaa) the post break up bleached hair, wich I liked but I could leave with my natural hair color too -.- OH also a haircut at a hairdresser wich took me more than 5" so right now I would be probably at TBL length -___-'
    Best experiments was oiling my hair everytime I wash my hair aaand beeing more patient while detangling my hair.
    25.-.26.-.27.-.28.-.29.-.30.-.31.-.32.-.33.-.34.-.35.5.-.36.-.37.-.38.-.39.-.40.-.41.-.42.-.43.-.44.-.45
    stopped hair dye/bleach since 22.12.2014

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Best experiment was stopping hairdresser visits, don't really have a worst. I haven't experimented much yet.
    Current - APL+
    Longest - BCL
    Lady Primeveire, Tamer of Steeds and Unruly Tresses, in the Order of the LHKs

I'm experimenting with castor oil scalp treatments, don't know if it's doing good, but it's not hurting either. Time will tell. CO washing is new for me as well. My hair seems to like it.

Worst? Tresemme Split End Repair. Blech, that stuff makes my hair feel so dry.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Best:
    Hair bag
    Braiding
    Hair diary
    Pantene beautiful lengths shampoo conditioner
    Pantene nature fission leave in
    Pantene truly natural serum
    Mane n tail conditioner
    Satin scrunchi
    Worse:
    My other routine
    No hair bag
    Constantly rebraiding

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Best
    1/ Finding hair toys and new ways to keep my hair up
    2/ Discovered ways to seal I. Moisture and reduce or eliminate frizz
    3/ discovered some great washing and conditioned methods that were appropriate for my hair type
    4/learned to stretch out my washes without getting funky hair
    5: discovered a curl enhancer that was made exclusively for my hair. And I HATE curl enhancers but this one is the bomb.
    6/ discovered my hair loves shea butter and coconut oil

Worst
    1/ Avoiding brushing!!!!! Horrible horrible results
    MY wavy./ Curiy hair NEEDS brushing. I don't care how many others can get away with NOT brushing. I am definitely NOT one of them.
    2/ Washing with cleansing conditioner like Wen. My hair hated it and its never lost as much hair in my life. It gave me extreme scalp issues like SD
    .3/ Inverted braiding. Because of my 3a underlayer of hair doesn't like being turned inside out
    (if you know what I mean)
    4/ half ups/ not for me for the same reason as above
    Last edited by hennalonghair; December 26th, 2014 at 01:20 PM.

Type
    2a/C/ii

Worst:
    CO'ing instead of shampooing. My hair got overmoisturized pretty bad.

Best:
    Conditioner with hydrolyzed keratin. 'Repaired' my hair from the overload of moisture
    Using a satin sleep cap at night
    Only using a wide tooth comb

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Thank you so much for your replies, guys. I agree about hairdresser visits, bleach and cuts: almost every time I went to a hairdresser I regretted it. And this reminds me to stay strong and stay away from bleach.

Forgot to post about my own experiments:

Best:
    1) Hair toys (sticks and forks). So incredibly comfy and secure! Now I understand why folks with bunnable hair rave about them.

2) Scalp-only washes between full washes - the amount of time they save is incredible! And they really cut down on mechanical damage from detangling and hygral fatigue. I think this is a "cleaner" form of refreshing scalp than dry shampoos.
    If anybody is interested in how scalp-washes work, there are many methods, but I do it either the way HaarTraum does it here (from 1:30): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo or the way LauraLongLocks does it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc (Both ladies have wonderful hair and YT tutorials, by the way)

3) gelatin + conditioner + honey + oil. This is an excellent strengthening and moisturizing pack. The combination of hydrolyzed proteins (gelatin), humectants (honey) and occlusives (oils) is simply amazing for dry/porous/damaged hair.

4) Mixing products (especially conditioners) - if one is too light, I just mix it with a heavier mask. I never got any adverse effect from mixing products like this.

5) Afro pick for damp detangling - something about the length and flexibility of tines as well as the positioning of the handle make it a great detangler for me. Standard wide-tooth combs have very short tines for me, unfortunately.

Worst:
    I think I haven't had any really bad experiments this year, actually. Some products didn't work for me, but I mixed them into others, and they worked just fine.
    But every time I try a complex braid (i.e. any braid other than English), my hair rebels and tangles massively. I hope to learn to tame or at least manage the beast a bit in 2015!

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Thank you so much for your replies, guys. I agree about hairdresser visits, bleach and cuts: almost every time I went to a hairdresser I regretted it. And this reminds me to stay strong and stay away from bleach.

Forgot to post about my own experiments:

Best:
    1) Hair toys (sticks and forks). So incredibly comfy and secure! Now I understand why folks with bunnable hair rave about them.

2) Scalp-only washes between full washes - the amount of time they save is incredible! And they really cut down on mechanical damage from detangling and hygral fatigue. I think this is a "cleaner" form of refreshing scalp than dry shampoos.
    If anybody is interested in how scalp-washes work, there are many methods, but I do it either the way HaarTraum does it here (from 1:30): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo or the way LauraLongLocks does it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc (Both ladies have wonderful hair and YT tutorials, by the way)

3) gelatin + conditioner + honey + oil. This is an excellent strengthening and moisturizing pack. The combination of hydrolyzed proteins (gelatin), humectants (honey) and occlusives (oils) is simply amazing for dry/porous/damaged hair.

4) Mixing products (especially conditioners) - if one is too light, I just mix it with a heavier mask. I never got any adverse effect from mixing products like this.

5) Afro pick for damp detangling - something about the length and flexibility of tines as well as the positioning of the handle make it a great detangler for me. Standard wide-tooth combs have very short tines for me, unfortunately.

Worst:
    I think I haven't had any really bad experiments this year, actually. Some products didn't work for me, but I mixed them into others, and they worked just fine.
    But every time I try a complex braid (i.e. any braid other than English), my hair rebels and tangles massively. I hope to learn to tame or at least manage the beast a bit in 2015!
    Good report. Nice tips. I have the same problem with braids especially if they are braided close to the scalp. My curly hair despises it. I almost can get a type of matting happening at the back of my neck and just scalp washing has been a godsend to me. My hair has become so much healthier due to this alone.

Thanks
    Good thread idea meteor

Length
    15/47/48
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Best:
    1) Getting rid of 'cones: My hair and scalp are so much happier!
    2) Throwing out the brush and almost exclusively finger detangling: Less breakage and no poof!
    3) S&D: No more trims for awhile.
    4) Sticks: I can finally do buns without them hurting!
    5) CWC: My hair is so much softer and manageable now.
    6) Inversion method: I got an extra inch of growth in one week. Going to try again in January and hopefully I can replicate results!

Worst:
    1) Water only/CO wash alternating: My scalp was NOT happy at all.
    2) V05 moisture milks: Does almost nothing for my hair, makes it feel weird. The regular lines works so much better on my hair.
    APL~BSL~WL~HL~BCL~TBL~CL!!!
    Lady Arete of The Waltzing Blades in The Order of the Long Haired Knights