Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalp issues and sulfate shampoo vs natural alternatives

Length
    SL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Scalp issues and sulfate shampoo vs natural alternatives

Hi, so I have been dealing with scalp issues for a wile now but recently it has become worse

I haven't used sulfate shampoo since I found lhc, my hair was very damaged then. I would S&C daily, heat style at least 5x a week, use dyes monthly and detangle with a plastic tip brush (not gently) of course now it's obvious why hair wouldn't grow past shoulder.

For 2-3 years (after finding lhc) I co washed and my hair showed lots of improvement( I also stoped all of my bad habits and started using oils on my ends). However my scalp was always dry and itchy and eventually I got flakes, so I clarified and started using poo bars. This worked fantastically and I continued using them until a few months ago. I have always had a dry itchy scalp and stretching washes seamed to help so I experimented with water only, for almost a month...My hair was lovely however it made my scalp very angry. It is very itchy, flakey, irritated and sore not to mention I have some painful scalp acne(gross I know), the only time I ever had scalp acne is when I was using oil on my scalp to help with the dryness.

Last weekend I bought a sulfate free poo(organix) I diluted it and my scalp was the same very itchy and irritated and my hair felt like staw. I was afraid to use sulfates because its been so long and I was afraid it would dry my hair out, but after searching lhc I picked some head and shoulders for dry scalp. Yesterday I diluted it in a cup of water, and conditioned the length only. Today my scalp is a million times better,no itchies and the flakes have calmed down a lot , also my hair isn't dry at all I hope this stuff will clear up the acne, I'm thinking I with shampoo again in two days then once weekly. I don't know if it was the brands I used or if my hair just had buildup, but I used both sulfate free and sulfate shampoos the same way and the later was less drying. The h&s diluted was even as gentle as my poo bars, I hope it continues to be at least

Does anyone else have this problem with sulfate free poos? Also has anyone else had this problem with your scalp? How long does it take to heal and what do you use?
    Last edited by chelsea89ms; December 18th, 2014 at 04:37 PM.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Scalp issues and sulfate shampoo vs natural alternatives

I haven't a clue but would strongly recommend that if your scalp acts up again, to make an appointment with a dermatologist and see if he/she can get to the heart of the problem. Good luck!

Length
    SL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I definitely will, thank you Madora!

I have been having better luck now that I use Nizoral (which is sulfate) I too, thought I was going to have a major shed or something from going back to sulfates after years of sulfate free, but it seems to be ok, happier, I think, although I get more oily now as my scalp has to readjust to getting stripped twice a week, but I hope to eventually go back down to once a week, and maybe less, but at least to get itchies and flakes under control, although I always have flakes, how much is normal just dead shed skin?? I think we should all have some of this no?? I don't know, but I always have flakes come up if I scratch my head. I stay away from oil and don't dilute my sulfate-free poos anymore, so I ensure my scalp gets clean. good luck!

Length
    SL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'm not really sure how much would be considered normal but those who don't wash every day must see some sort of flaking from the skin shedding the old cells. I have always had some flaking after scritching or scratching. lately it's more excessive, like dandruff even after a wash. But I have been scratching a lot with a horn comb tho.. Good luck to you too I hope it works out for you!!

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

You say you had worst problems with WO and with sulphate-free shampoo, and also with putting oil on your scalp. My best guess would be that you have a tendency towards yeast infections on the scalp. The yeast feeds on oils (both natural ones applied and the body's own sweat and sebum), so any routine that puts or leaves oil on the scalp would result in yeast growth and itchiness. There are several people (e.g. lapushka) who have this issue and who use sulphate-containing shampoos for precisely that reason - they cleanse the oil away, and thus keep the yeast infection controlled. In this case, sulphate-containing shampoos are better than the alternative (an unhappy, itchy, painful and shedding scalp).

Another possibility is that you may have a sensitivity to something in the Organix shampoo. Lots of sulphate-free products are crammed full of essential oils and herbal extracts (because they're aimed at the "natural" brigade), but these can cause irritation and/or allergic reactions.

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Just so you know, Organix is not really sulfatefree. It has a derivative of sulfates and it makes my scalp itchy and angry too.
    DUTCH or FLEMISH speaking?
    www.hairfairforum.be

Length
    23ish/23/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I actually had sort of the same problem when I used Organix/OGX. I bought the argan oil shampoo and conditioner and have been using it for the past 3 months or so and it made my hair pretty soft and lovely, but for some reason, my scalp really started hating it- I was getting flaky and kinda blegh. I'm not sure if it was something in the shampoo/conditioner that my hair disagreed with, but something totally fried my ends; I ended up having to hack off around 3 inches in order to bring it under some semblance of control. I don't think it's the argan oil itself in there that's upsetting bc I use argan oil outside of the shampoo and conditioner without any other problems. A couple days ago, I went back to using my Tresemme and my scalp is way happier already, and my hair feels a lot more happy than with the Organix. Perhaps it is my destiny to be forever using sulphate shampoos.
    "Shipwrecked on some matte-painted island
    Clad in nothing but the surf: beauty's finest robe"
    ~Song of Myself- Nightwish

I don't want to rob this thread or anything, but Panth I have a question that I've asked before. With people like us with these tendencies, I see you mention again that the yeast feeds off even our own sweat. in these times, winter, dry. . . etc. I exercise daily and I sweat on my scalp daily. so I'm in this predicament, of washing every day (drying/irritating scalp) or shampooing daily to keep sweat off. how do I find that perfect balance so I'm not constantly irritating yeast or SD with water but also not overloading it with sweat.

Length
    17/42.5/44
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by mamaherrera View Post
    I don't want to rob this thread or anything, but Panth I have a question that I've asked before. With people like us with these tendencies, I see you mention again that the yeast feeds off even our own sweat. in these times, winter, dry. . . etc. I exercise daily and I sweat on my scalp daily. so I'm in this predicament, of washing every day (drying/irritating scalp) or shampooing daily to keep sweat off. how do I find that perfect balance so I'm not constantly irritating yeast or SD with water but also not overloading it with sweat.
    I don't know if it would work for you, since I don't have yeast-scalp issues (just as well, since Im allergic to SLS), but whe I go sailing, I find a quick rinse in fresh-water when I come on-shore helps immensely to remove most of the salt from sweat and the sea from my hair. However, I'm not sure if that would be just as irritating for you.
    Lady Tigereye, Keeper of the Striped Shadows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights