Thread: Ion Leave-in Conditione Ingredientsr?

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Question Ion Leave-in Conditione Ingredientsr?

I have had this bottle of Ion Leave-in Conditioner for a good while now but haven't used it because I wasn't sure if there was anything in it that could damage my hair over time. These are the ingredients:

Water (Aqua, Eau), Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-12, Wheat Amino Acids, Panthenol, Trisodium EDTA, Polysorbate 20, Propylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene
    Ingredient Attributes: moisture, detangling, frizz control, anti-humectant

Could anyone help me out? Thank you!

EDIT: Ignore the title typo, I just had eye surgery yesterday and I'm trying my best to see lol.
    Last edited by skeletonous; December 11th, 2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Shaved • Chin • SL • APL • BSL • WL • HL • BCL • TBL • Classic

Length
    18/31/48
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Ion Leave-in Conditione Ingredientsr?

I use that on DD's baby fine fluff. Dunno about "bad" ingredients. I just know it works, and the scent isn't obnoxious.

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ARG View Post
    I use that on DD's baby fine fluff. Dunno about "bad" ingredients. I just know it works, and the scent isn't obnoxious.
    That's good to know I might try it; even if I don't, other people in my house use it anyway.

Length
    18/31/48
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Okay, so upon further review of the ingredients, it has a light cone and it has protein. If you don't like any of those, you might want to stay away.

I found the Amodimethicone thread, so here are some quotes from it about the ingredient:
    Quote Originally Posted by luxepiggy View Post
    Amodimethicone is my favourite cone of all! \(^(oo)^)/

Unlike other types of silicone, amodimethicone carries a positive charge, which results in targeted conditioning of damaged areas and the formation of a shine-enhancing nanostructure (ETA: Formation of nanostructure on hair surface, Journal of Cosmetic Science). Once deposited, the positive charge helps repel further deposition, so amodimethicone does not build up on the hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panth View Post
    1) Cones are not the devil. Also, not all cones are the same.

2) When people talk about "sealing" it is not an all or nothing phenomenon - it means it impedes the movement of water in/out, not prevents it completely.

3) Cones do impart many useful qualities, e.g. anti-static, pro-slip, anti-tangle. They can also (temporarily) patch repair damage.

Amodimethicone is often considered one of the better ones. It is not water soluble (I made that mistake too). However, it is often grouped with water-soluble cones as, like them, it resists build-up. Luxepiggy has given you a great description of how this works.

IMO, the crusade against cones is totally unfounded - they do not trash your hair, it's just like any other thing that some people's hair likes them and some people's hair doesn't. They can hide damage, but this is only problematic if it enables you to ignore the fact that you are destroying your hair (i.e. not good if it makes you think daily flat ironing is fine until the day it isn't ... fine if it's hiding the inevitable damage seen on 6+ year old ends and thus making them more resilient and manageable). The only problem with them is the requirement with some (i.e. the non-water-soluble ones) to use sulphate-containing shampoos to prevent build-up, as SLS etc. is harsh and can cause damage when you're talking on the timescale of super-long hair. However, even that problem is removed if you either a) use cones sensibly, b) primarily select water-soluble or non-building-up cones, and c) reduce the harshness of your shampoo (e.g. use sulphates but dilute them, or use sulphate-free but clarify with sulphates occasionally, or use sulphate-free containing cocoamidopropyl betaine, which can remove cones but is much less harsh than SLS/SLES/ALS/ALES).

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

^ my hair seems to like protein and light cones, so hopefully it'll be great thank you so much for looking into it more!

Length
    18/31/48
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Of course! Its about time I started reading what I was doing to my daughters hair.