Thread: I am finding a lot of knots on individual strands of hair?

Length
    2"/44"/46"
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Default I am finding a lot of knots on individual strands of hair?

My hair is almost classic and I am S&Ding and I am kind of finding a lot of strands of hair in individual knots. Which I cut out of course. But the question is why is my hair doing this and how can I prevent it?

Length
    32.5/41/hmmmm
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: I am finding a lot of knots on individual strands of hair?

I think they're called "faerie knots" I have them as well, and they are most annoying...... sorry to be of no help, maybe others know better

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It's the nature of fiber. I used to see that when I was threading a loom with fine thread. It just gets looped up on itself as we move it around.

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

It's a normal thing for hair to do, especially damaged, dry, tanglesome ends. My usual breakdown when I S&D is 30% tiny knots, 30% sudden 90 degree bends, 30% extremely thin tapered ends, and 10% actual splits.

As for prevention, keep your ends as slippery and undamaged as possible, and catch the suckers as quickly as possible because those knots are to tangles as atmospheric dust is to snowflakes.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    shoul/waist/40
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

Hi leslielsa tell abit about your routine I was getting those fairy knots also , I've stopped using tangle teezer and gone back to my fine tooth comb , also gone back to using sulphates to wash off product , and haven't had a fairy onto now for 5 weeks

Type
    2b/M/iii

Perhaps a drop or two of mineral oil on the last 12 inches of your hair might help. Put the MO on your hands, and then rub your hands thru the ends of your hair. It also helps if you detangle your hair daily with a wide tooth comb, and wear it up to keep knots from forming.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I rarely get them. Got one once, I believe, and that's back when I didn't double condition & used the LOC method. Nowadays my hair is well moisturized, and I just don't get them. Neither do I have splits or white dots.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

I see you aren't curly but for me as a curly, besides being moisturized and having slip on the ends I use satin covered rollers on the ends when they get bad because that straightens the ends out which seems to help.
    <a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank>[IMG]<a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg target=_blank>http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psb7di14pc.jpg</a></a>[/IMG]</a>Proud to be a tightly curly!
    (SL-APL-BSL-Midback-Waist!)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

For whatever reason, I would get drastically more of them when I tried out silicone-heavy products, like serums. (It's possible I wore my hair down more because it was super-slippery, too.) Curlies seem to get them as a matter of course, but I don't think anyone with more than a couple inches of hair is immune. I even once spotted a knot at the end of one of my cat's whiskers -- brave fairy!
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Ear/Chin/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Leslieslsa View Post
    My hair is almost classic and I am S&Ding and I am kind of finding a lot of strands of hair in individual knots. Which I cut out of course. But the question is why is my hair doing this and how can I prevent it?
    I find this to be the case with my hair too. I think my hair does this because it is curly and my hair is wrapping around itself. As for prevention, I haven't found one, other than s&d sessions.
    3a-3b/C/iii
    (Ear)-Chin-SL-CBL-APL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-CL
    Lady Addance of the Insightful Mind in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!