Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to find good trim person

Length
    13?/26.5?/??
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Default How to find good trim person

I confess I am mostly a lurker and am not here as frequently as I probably should be , so I apologize if I am asking something that has been answered (I will try to hang and read more)

I have been growing my hair for almost 3years - with maybe 1 or 2 cuts in the past 2. I have been rather unhappy the last few salon visits - it was so spendy and I left with way too much product on my hair. My hair really really needs a trim, but I am not sure how to find someone who can/ will do a simple trim.

I would be so grateful for some help / recommendations.

(also, I have that kind of hair that changes significantly with weather: wicked curly to fly away waves. Hair dressers always want to blow it out <ick>. Based on everything I have learned here, I have tried no-poo - but am back to washing 1-2x / month with co-wash as necessary in between. Wide tooth and finger combing. I try to keep hair up at night. Stretched my hair is around BSL, I think. Will try to get pics. ... Hope I am not missing anything)

TIA!

Length
    13?/26.5?/??
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: How to find good trim person

I am such a flake - I am in the Chicago area/ north - probably need to know that for any specific recs.

thanks again!

(couldn't find a link to edit my prev post)

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I'm afraid that right now, I trust no one but myself to trim my hair. I never imagined I'd be able to do it, but I trim my hair very successfully using Feye's Self Trimming Method. I've been doing it for 2 1/2 years.

I can trim as much or as little as I want with this method.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do, and welcome.

Length
    ?/56.5/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I've been thinking very seriously about going to the barber shop, where I take my son, for my next trim. Any barber shop tips, ladies?

Mariah
    "Sorry don't get it done, Dude." -- John Wayne in "Rio Bravo"
    ?/56.5/50~2b/c~ii (I'm 5'4" tall)

Length
    15 in/20 in/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Go to a cheap salon or a barber shop. There's way less ego involved for the stylist and they tend to do more what you ask instead of what they just learned at beauty school.
    Lady Britomart of the Woodland Glen in the
    Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    21"/25/29
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I would lurk around a few salons in your area and watch how people go in and then come back out. I would also make an appointment to speak with the stylist and then make an appt for the cut. That way if you have second thoughts about the appt you can cancel. You might have to pay for a partial visit, but in my book it's worth it. Last suggestion any other long hairs around that you can ask - but I'm sure you have already thought of that one.
    I found my stylist by sending my dh to the starter side of the fancy salon I was going to. When she left for another shop and I had to pay 60+ for a hair cut (current rates is that salon are now over $75 for a cut) I made an appt with the dh's stylist. She is in on the grow out process and has cut my hair for about three years now. She says she will not normally cut hair below the back of her chair but is going to make me the exception.

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by atlantaz3 View Post
    ... She says she will not normally cut hair below the back of her chair but is going to make me the exception.
    If it were me, I'd find a stylist who didn't put such limitations on her availability. Yikes.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I was going to second Feye's self trim method........super easy. I was freaked out the first time I did it, but the results were exactly what I wanted and I had all the control over the cut.

Yup, I self trim as well. I'm very pleased and can only blame myself if I'm not

Length
    21"/25/29
    Type
    2a/F/iii

As I'm just barely there I'll see how it goes - as others I've had to very slowly grow out a few bad chops. I am trying to talk the dh into trimming actually...