Page 248 of 252 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250 ... LastLast
Results 2,471 to 2,480 of 2511

Thread: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Default Re: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Quote Originally Posted by stardust lady View Post
    Just did my first SMT the other night, with Paul Mitchell Super Strong conditioner (I think it has protein in it, but I didn't have any other conditioners). I applied it from root to tip and left on overnight. The results were incredible. But my scalp has broken out in painful acne. Any ideas how I can avoid this? Maybe not apply to scalp, or different conditioner, or reduce the time?
    I wouldn’t keep it in overnight, nor would I apply all the way to the roots. My scalp isn’t particularly sensitive, but I do avoid it being wet for that long to prevent bacterial and fungal growth.

I get better results keeping it in for less than an hour and processing with heat while it’s on my hair. My hair is on the lower end of the porosity spectrum so processing deep conditioners with heat is always best practice for me.
    At my goal length of Classic after 2.5 years here at the LHC.
    (still growing though lol)

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Ugh, painful scalp acne, that sounds terrible and I hope it clears soon. I suppose putting the SMT on your scalp was not what your scalp wanted.

Length
    APL/WL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Just did my first SMT the other night, with Paul Mitchell Super Strong conditioner (I think it has protein in it, but I didn't have any other conditioners). I applied it from root to tip and left on overnight. The results were incredible. But my scalp has broken out in painful acne. Any ideas how I can avoid this? Maybe not apply to scalp, or different conditioner, or reduce the time?
    Do you use fruit of the earth's aloe vera gel? If so, there could be DMDM hydantoin in it and if you have a sensitivity to it, that can happen. I know a lot of LHCers use fruit of the earth so that's why I'm wondering. I use it with no problems, but then again I'm not sensitive to the ingredient

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by knobbly View Post
    I wouldn’t keep it in overnight, nor would I apply all the way to the roots. My scalp isn’t particularly sensitive, but I do avoid it being wet for that long to prevent bacterial and fungal growth.

I get better results keeping it in for less than an hour and processing with heat while it’s on my hair. My hair is on the lower end of the porosity spectrum so processing deep conditioners with heat is always best practice for me.
    Yep, I might try that. I followed the original SMT instructions, which said to apply to hair and scalp and leave on as long as overnight (I woke up halfway through the night actually, because it was uncomfortable). I have sensitive skin, so maybe I'm just an outlier.

How do you apply heat? I always assumed I had high porosity hair, but I just did the glass of water porosity test for the first time, and the hair stayed on the surface and never sank. So I suppose that makes it low porosity? Sounds like I should be using heat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane99 View Post
    Ugh, painful scalp acne, that sounds terrible and I hope it clears soon. I suppose putting the SMT on your scalp was not what your scalp wanted.
    Thanks It's starting to clear up today, which is a relief. Will not be applying to my scalp again. Also sleeping with anything in my hair was a terrible sleeping experience. 0/10

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    Do you use fruit of the earth's aloe vera gel? If so, there could be DMDM hydantoin in it and if you have a sensitivity to it, that can happen. I know a lot of LHCers use fruit of the earth so that's why I'm wondering. I use it with no problems, but then again I'm not sensitive to the ingredient
    I used Real Aloe (ingredients are aloe vera, water, Irish moss, xanthan gum, citric acid, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate).
    Buzz - Pixie - Bob - Shoulder - CBL - APL - MBL - Waist - Hip

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Yep, I might try that. I followed the original SMT instructions, which said to apply to hair and scalp and leave on as long as overnight (I woke up halfway through the night actually, because it was uncomfortable). I have sensitive skin, so maybe I'm just an outlier.

How do you apply heat? I always assumed I had high porosity hair, but I just did the glass of water porosity test for the first time, and the hair stayed on the surface and never sank. So I suppose that makes it low porosity? Sounds like I should be using heat as well.
    I wrap my hair around my head trying to keep the thickness even, and then cover it in clingfilm. Then I use a hairdryer with a diffuser attachment to blast it with heat for 3-4 minutes, then put on a wooly hat. I repeat this every ten minutes or so for 30-40 minutes.

FYI that porosity float test is bogus. It’s better to just look at descriptions of different porosity levels and match them with how your hair feels/acts. My hair is medium to low because it’s completely virgin and unprocessed, not damaged, and fairly shiny on its own.
    Last edited by knobbly; February 13th, 2021 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Fix quote
    At my goal length of Classic after 2.5 years here at the LHC.
    (still growing though lol)

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by knobbly View Post
    I wrap my hair around my head trying to keep the thickness even, and then cover it in clingfilm. Then I use a hairdryer with a diffuser attachment to blast it with heat for 3-4 minutes, then put on a wooly hat. I repeat this every ten minutes or so for 30-40 minutes.

FYI that porosity float test is bogus. It’s better to just look at descriptions of different porosity levels and match them with how your hair feels/acts. My hair is medium to low because it’s completely virgin and unprocessed, not damaged, and fairly shiny on its own.
    You don't say? Well, mine is probably fairly normal porosity based on how it looks and how I've treated it. Heated deep conditioning is probably still a good idea.
    Buzz - Pixie - Bob - Shoulder - CBL - APL - MBL - Waist - Hip

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

SMT remains the absolute best moisture treatment for me. Earlier this week I mixed one up using this conditioner as my base and accidentally way more honey than usual. My hair LITERALLY felt and looked like silk. The shine and softness was off the charts and absolutely no frizz. I wasn't able to take a picture of my hair down before styling, but here's a selfie after heat styling. It's the best hair day I've had in ages.

forever waffling between conventional and herbal haircare
    dying roots black with Wella Semi-permanent dye, very occasional heat styling
    currently BSL / 1st goal waist / 1C/m/ii / forever fighting frizz

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

double post! sorry
    Last edited by catysue; March 19th, 2021 at 09:31 PM. Reason: double post

forever waffling between conventional and herbal haircare
    dying roots black with Wella Semi-permanent dye, very occasional heat styling
    currently BSL / 1st goal waist / 1C/m/ii / forever fighting frizz

Length
    APL/WL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by catysue View Post
    SMT remains the absolute best moisture treatment for me. Earlier this week I mixed one up using this conditioner as my base and accidentally way more honey than usual. My hair LITERALLY felt and looked like silk. The shine and softness was off the charts and absolutely no frizz. I wasn't able to take a picture of my hair down before styling, but here's a selfie after heat styling. It's the best hair day I've had in ages.

Wow stunning. My hair also loves SMT more than any other moisturizing treatment I've tried. Any day with SMT is always the best hair day. Like silk. It's mostly the aloe my hair loves so much, but works amazingly paired with honey and my preferred conditioner

Length
    CBL/HL/HL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Is there a favorite replacement for aloe gel in this recipe? I don’t have any and it’s not easy find here (and I don’t like the Amazon options), but would like to try the recipe.