Page 3 of 252 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Ursula’s Mega-Moisturizing Oil-SMT-Aloe Wash

The summer AC has been very drying on my hair. This routine for washing has worked very well in getting my hair through it. I suggested it to Snowy, and it seems to do her good, as well, although she's using jojoba instead of coconut oil, and plain SKR instead of SMT. I'll sometimes do the plain SKR, as well. It depends on my mood.

First, at night, I oil my hair heavily. Coconut oil, and lots of it. I add more and more, as much as my hair will take. Then I braid in two braids, and apply castor oil to the braids’ tassels.

Sleep well.

In the morning, I mix up a batch of Snowy’s Deep Moisture treatment, using VO5 Sunkissed Raspberry or Tangerine Tickle. Wet down hair with water in the shower, and massage the SMT through the hair. Wrap in a bun, cover with a plastic bag and towel. Let the mess soak for 30 minutes to an hour.

Rinse well. I rinse in the shower, combing as I go. I part my hair, and comb and rinse each half for about a minute each, followed by about a minute of rinsing and massaging my scalp.

Finally, I blot my hair with a microfiber towel. Then I take 1 to 2 tablespoons of aloe gel, and apply to each half of my hair, combing it through.

Sometimes, I will oil and braid in the morning, and finish the wash routine at night. Oiled braids look sleek for daytime wear. I’ll then flip my hair, loose, up over my pillow to air dry at night. When I wake in the morning, amazing curly waves.
    Last edited by Flaxen; April 22nd, 2008 at 04:46 PM.

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

I've just updated the SMT thread, so I'll merge this into it.

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Thank you all for posting this recipe. I have been dying to try it but have one BIG concern- I just colored my hair a few weeks ago, and have been hearing that oil strips/fades the color from the hair. I also know that honey lightens but I think I read here that its power is decreased once it is heated. Would doing this treatment harm the color? My hair is super-dry and really needs it, but I'm not going to do it if the color is going to fade
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    16"/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

From the lists above, I think it is safe to say that dimethicone should be avoided when looking for a good SMT conditioner
    OK I'm confused. Aussie 3MM is listed as a yielding good results, but it has dimethicone in it.

I think I'm going to try SMT again. The first time I ended up with curds and my hair was really dry. I think maybe I'll use a different conditioner, maybe less honey and a little oil (coconut or EVOO).

Jeni

Length
    pixie/TB/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Do you think that 1/4 part of the solid coconut oil instead of honey would make it too greasy?

One thing I like about leaving the conditioner on so long is that your hair will really absorb the scent (that is, if you like the scent!).

Last night I did it with 1 Tbs. honey, 1 Tbs. aloe, and 4 Tbs. conditioner -- I probably should have mixed up more. I was surprised that it seemed to really absorb into my hair before I rinsed it out. (I hadn't noticed my hair as being particularly dry at the time, either.)

Length
    16"/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I probably should have mixed up more. I was surprised that it seemed to really absorb into my hair before I rinsed it out.
    Yea when I did it, it seemed to absorb into my hair too. It was weird, I soaked my hair in it and wrapped it up, 2 hours later, it was a lot less slimy.

Jeni

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by yufeyziqi View Post
    I tried the formula last night for the 1st time. It's amazing! Very moisturizing. I replaced honey with coconut oil because I don't want honey's lighting effect.

What conditioners do all of you use for this treatment?
    If you heat the mixture, it stops the lightening process from the honey.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Talking SMT

The original recipe recommended mircowaving the mix 10-15 seconds.

I would recommend over 10 seconds under one minute to ensure destroying the enzyme in the honey that produces peroxide.

There was a report in the Honey thread recently from somone who slept with an SMT on their hair, which had not been microwaved and they got unintentional lightening.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=241
    Last edited by ktani; April 17th, 2008 at 05:40 AM. Reason: added link

Length
    pixie/TB/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

A girl from work was thrilled with the results of her first SMT -- she had colored 4 (!) times in a single day prior to this!

I just *might* be able to persuade her of the value of some of our techniques if she doesn't do that again!

ship me back to bahston Patrycja's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/BSL!!/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

4 times!!!!!!! wow I thought I was bad doing it once every three weeks.I've changed my evil ways though.
    Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights