Page 247 of 247 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247
Results 2,461 to 2,465 of 2465

Thread: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Default Re: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Hi! We had a discussion earlier in the thread about the differences between aloe and honey, and basically aloe forms a film on the hair and honey penetrates the hair. Glycerin would also penetrate the hair, so I would go looking for another film-former instead to replace the aloe. I don't know what would work for you and your allergy, but e.g. pectin, flax seed gel, marsh mallow root, and slippery elm are film forming humectants. This post on Science-y Hair Blog has a longer list if film formers!

That being said, glycerin is still a great humectant, so I'm sure adding it will give you good results in any case
    Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    I did a batch where I used glycerin and home made flax seed gel and it works well!
    Also, I made too much flax seed gel, so I froze it and then I used defrosted one for the next batch, still worked well.
    Thanks! I am actually nervous about the honey because I've been reacting to honey when I eat it so slathering it on my head might be ok but... maybe I'd rather not risk it. Subbing glycerin for the honey and using something else for the aloe would be ideal.

OK I finally played mad scientist and threw some stuff together following this as a guide. I left my hair unbraided at night a few times, forgot the second C on my CWC wash, everything looked kind of meh and dry and wild looking because my hair is as chronically dehydrated as the rest of me. My flax seeds hadn't arrived to make flaxseed gel with yet so I browsed my kitchen pantry and chucked in some olive oil instead.

4 parts JASON jojoba conditioner
    1 part EVOO
    1 part glycerin (which I then worried was too much, suddenly remembering always seeing it in 'a drop' type amounts before)

I didn't actually time how long it stayed on, I got busy doing something and forgot to check the clock after I put it on, but I think it must have been about 45 mins- 1 hr before I realised I wanted a nap and wasn't convinced I had wrapped it well enough to avoid smearing it all over my pillow at some point, so I rinsed it off. It's definitely improved! Hair feels very soft now! I think it could still be better, so I'm going to leave it on longer next time, and then after try it with flaxseed gel and see what difference that makes. (and maybe drink more water, that seems like it might help in the long run )

I would like to improve shine a little. Any suggestions for something that can be added to this or should I rinse with something afterward maybe?

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmoonstruck View Post

I would like to improve shine a little. Any suggestions for something that can be added to this or should I rinse with something afterward maybe?
    I think the honey in the original version of the recipe does help with shine. Perhaps, if you do have honey handy, you could add a little to your homebrewed mixture?

Length
    APL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Can I use shea moisture's strengthen and restore conditioner for this? I don't think there's an awful lot of protein in it. Here's the ingredients

Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter (Certified Organic Ingredient) (Fair Trade Ingredient), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Behentrimonium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Panthenol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Glycerin (Vegetables), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Yeast Extract, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Vinegar, Niacin, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Caramel.
    Last edited by JasminxCat; January 14th, 2021 at 04:47 PM.

hair-brained
    Length
    pixi/butt/butt+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    Can I use shea moisture's strengthen and restore conditioner for this? I don't think there's an awful lot of protein in it. Here's the ingredients

Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter (Certified Organic Ingredient) (Fair Trade Ingredient), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Behentrimonium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Panthenol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Glycerin (Vegetables), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Yeast Extract, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Vinegar, Niacin, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Caramel.
    I'd say there's a fair amount of protein (there usually is in a "strengthening" conditioner), I've only used the strengthen and restore mask and I thought it was was fairly proteiny, though it was also quite hydrating (panthenol, aloe, glycerin, fruit extracts...). For me it was a good balance but everyone's different! That being said, I don't think an SMT needs to be void of protein, it depends on what your hair needs. If your hair has had too much protein previously and you're doing the SMT to restore the protein-moisture balance you might not want to use this conditioner, but if your ends are just a bit dry, using this conditioner and loading up on the aloe and honey (or whatever you're using) might be fine This is from my own experience however! (For reference, I'm an ultra-finey, non-processed, straight-wavish curl pattern, currently in a dry climate because of winter and snow storm but usually humidity is normal to low.)

ETA: FWIW I think this conditioner has more humectants than protein so I'm guessing it would be more hydrating than proteiny, if that helps!
    Last edited by Siv; Yesterday at 04:47 AM.
    instagrampre-poocwc wcc puppy