Page 238 of 239 FirstFirst ... 138188228236237238239 LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,380 of 2390

Thread: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Amateur scientist ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/MBL/CLSC
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

My hair isn't completely dry yet, but it's dry enough that I can see some results.

I left the SMT on for almost two hours. I had covered it with a plastic bag, covered with a towel to trap in more heat. I washed with my usual Shea Moisture shampoo bar, followed by an acidic rinse. I conditioned my hair twice with Love, Beauty Planet smoothing. I normally follow a WCC routine, though I've been using a strengthening conditioner as the second C, which is what led to my protein issues. For styling, I used Jessicurl Aloeba as a leave-in conditioner and scrunched in 4 drops of my oil blend (rose hip, jojoba, and olive oils with lavender essential oil for scent).

My hair felt very soft and smooth as I was rinsing the SMT out and felt "normal" while I went out the rest of my routine. Now that it's dried somewhat, I'm noticing some more shrinkage than I had previously, which is a good sign that my hair is adequately moisturized. My ends no longer feel crunchy which is also a good sign. They don't feel silky smooth yet but I imagine they will after another round or two of SMTs.

Overall, I'm very happy with my results and I feel like I'm on the right path towards fixing the protein overload I'm experiencing.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019

APL-BSL-MBL-WST-HIP-CLSC
    My Recipe Blog

Length
    APL/TBL/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I tried this with biolage hydrasource conditioner today and it made my hair extremely shiny. Nothing beats SMT I swear

Length
    APL/hip/knee
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I haven't done it in YEARS. It's good to be reminded this exists. Now if only I could get a day off to do this beauty stuff...

Length
    4.5in/6 in/36 in
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

I just tried this with Giovanni 50/50. It got all curdled... I microwaved it all for like 10 seconds and the aloe gel started popping. Maybe that's why? Anyway hopefully it rinses out okay, we shall see

Pixie 2008, BSL early 2011, chin-lenth May 2011: Starting Over! Goal: Tailbone!

Length
    BSL/HL+/?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spirals View Post
    I haven't done it in YEARS. It's good to be reminded this exists. Now if only I could get a day off to do this beauty stuff...
    I prepare lot of the mix at once - I had 1kg container from aloe vera gel that I completely used up for SMT, so I started preparing full kilo of the mask everytime I run out definitely saves time and it lasts more than a month.

Length
    APL/TBL/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Going to do this again over night with biolage conditioner I accidentally did a protein overload and now my hair is in need of moisture.

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Okay, so I've read this whole thread (still no real great answers on henna, but I reckon it's basically just a gloss at that point and have tried it a dew times with no ill effects.) and done several treatments.

Maui Moisture is silicone free and uses aloe juice so I figured if I just used that and honey it would be a good idea. I finally got to buy some and it seems to work decently well, unfortunately the scent I chose is not to DBF's tastes. I'm not a huge fan either so I'm going to try exchanging it for a different one.

I'm not sure how I feel about the results, it's almost too clean but I can experiment with oils and ratios and dry vs wet hair to get something I'm happy with.

I kind of want to try wetting my hair with a tea, putting on the SMT, rinsing it out with the tea, and then oiling. (I always want to just drink the tea - how dilute are tea rinses supposed to be, anyway?)

Type
    3a/F/i/ii

A quick note to everyone asking if this can hurt your hair.

Yes. It can. If you live in a dry area (I live in a full-on desert) the honey acts as a humectant. This is great if you live where there is moisture in the air, but when there is more moisture in your hair than there is in the air, the honey will suck the moisture right out of your hair and make it frizzy at best and brittle at worst.

Aloe vera is also a humectant but it is supposedly a "film forming" humectant that will "seal" moisture into your hair. All I can say is the one time I used aloe vera gel it also crisped my hair.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea or the recipe - as long as you live somewhere where there is more moisture in the air than there is in your hair. Keep in mind, however, that in this modern era of near-ubiquitous air conditioning, "inside" air in both summer and winter (heating also sucks the moisture out of the air) is much dryer than "outdoor" air even if you live in an area of normal humidity. If you are spending more time inside than out, it could still be a problem. Newer construction is also more air-tight than older construction so that may also compound the problem.

So if this makes your hair frizzy that's most likely why.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Soj View Post
    A quick note to everyone asking if this can hurt your hair.

Yes. It can. If you live in a dry area (I live in a full-on desert) the honey acts as a humectant. This is great if you live where there is moisture in the air, but when there is more moisture in your hair than there is in the air, the honey will suck the moisture right out of your hair and make it frizzy at best and brittle at worst.

Aloe vera is also a humectant but it is supposedly a "film forming" humectant that will "seal" moisture into your hair. All I can say is the one time I used aloe vera gel it also crisped my hair.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea or the recipe - as long as you live somewhere where there is more moisture in the air than there is in your hair. Keep in mind, however, that in this modern era of near-ubiquitous air conditioning, "inside" air in both summer and winter (heating also sucks the moisture out of the air) is much dryer than "outdoor" air even if you live in an area of normal humidity. If you are spending more time inside than out, it could still be a problem. Newer construction is also more air-tight than older construction so that may also compound the problem.

So if this makes your hair frizzy that's most likely why.
    Howdy, fellow desert-dweller!

I've really been struggling to re-moisturize my hair after a period of neglect and recently tried out a tip that a local longhair gave me. My friend had said he had success using humectants if he put them in for a limited amount of time, staying in the steamy bathroom, and rinsing it extremely thoroughly. I unexpectedly had our ordinarily very busy single bathroom to myself this Monday, so I gave this method a go using a modified SMT (glycerin instead of aloe vera, since that was what I had on hand). I let the room steam up as much as I could with the fan off before wetting down my hair and putting on the goop, and was able to leave it on for about forty minutes before I went bored out of my mind without being able to bring a book or my computer into the steam--then rinsed the bejeezus out of everything. Admittedly it's only been about two and a half days since rinse-out, but my hair is definitely softer than pre-treatment and I haven't seen any adverse effect so far. Ordinarily I'm very inclined to frizz and I haven't had trouble with it today or yesterday.

Humidity is 14% here currently.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    My friend had said he had success using humectants if he put them in for a limited amount of time, staying in the steamy bathroom, and rinsing it extremely thoroughly.
    Whoops, forgot to mention that he also said he oils his hair right after rinsing, which I wouldn't typically do (my hair isn't great at absorbing oils) but also tried as part of this experiment. I guess the logic is that you let the humectants work their magic as they are supposed to in a humid environment, even if fairly briefly, then get them back out of your hair and seal in whatever moisture you got from the treatment--? So far I'm pleased with the results.