Page 236 of 251 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 2510

Thread: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmoCat View Post
    Does it matter if it’s an aloe vera gel or oil? I’m having a hard time finding pure aloe in the stores, but I’m going to buy online and see both options. Thank you.

Edit: I have since read that truly pure aloe doesn’t exist...outside of from the plant. Although, I still wonder about gel vs oil. Most of what I find is gel, but I see an option of “oil”.....either okay?

I have always used Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel. Not sure if you're in the USA or not, but it's readily available at Walmart and various drugstores, plus online. The number one ingredient is aloe vera gel, and it doesn't have added colors or lidocaine or other weird ingredients in it -- just aloe and preservatives.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    pixie/MBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I wanted to try the SMT too, but I used it with a slight modification since I'm sick as a dog and didn't want to sit with a drippy treatment on my head. So I made it into a co-wash.

Mixed honey and aloe with some water in a bottle, then added my usual co-wash condish. After a few shakes it turned into an ugly lumpy mess. So I added some more water and shook the living daylights out of the bottle which resulted in the perfect creamy mix. Put it on my head, scrubbed, then let it sit under a shower cap while I did other showerly things. Scrubbed some more, combed it through, washed everything out.

Well, the jury is still out on this one. My hair is definitely curlier but moisture and shine? Not so much. Let's see how it looks tomorrow. I won't give up though, there are multiple ways to try this: amount and number of ingredients, co-wash or treatment, etc.

Length
    14"/26"/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Just be wise that some of the "pure aloe vera gel" products listed/suggested in the original post --- from 2008 --- have by now been adulterated/changed/ found to not be as pure as represented by product manufacturer/s. For example, the big-bargain Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel was found to not contain aloe vera.
    From the original post, 2008:

Snowymoon's Original Post

Snowy's Deep Moisture Treatment

I have used my own moisture treatment twice with GREAT results. Hair is still wet, but very happy!!!

Snowy's Fave Moisture Treatment
    1 part Fave conditioner (must be moisture), mine is VO5-Sun Kissed Raspberry.
    1/4 part honey
    1/4 part clear aloe vera gel (I use Fruit of the Earth).

Place in a cup and warm in microwave for 10 to 15 seconds--just until warm. Wash hair and squeeze out excess, blot dry, leave in under heat cap, warm towels or shower cap, what have you, for an hour or so. Rinse well. Finish (add leave-in if you do so) and style as usual Wah-la!!! Extreme Moistness. This is great after protein treatments!!! WOOT!!!"

"Independently, ConsumerLab.com said it had Fruit of the Earth brand Aloe Vera 100% Gel tested using nuclear magnetic resonance and found no evidence of aloe, while a competing brand, Aubrey Organics, did contain the markers that indicate aloe. ConsumerLab said it tested a dozen aloe products, including pills and juices, and just half the items appeared to meet the claims on their labels."
    Last edited by LadyTheta; June 14th, 2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: corrections/typos

Length
    BSL/BCL/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I used 4 parts Alterra Pomegranate Aloe Vera conditioner, 1 part Aloe Pura Aloe Vera gel and 1 part castor oil last week.

No white film or any other problems to report! These work

The conditioner was to my liking, nice and moisturizing. The aloe vera gel has additives but again, no problems to report. I used castor oil instead of honey because I'm already going blonder as a redhead, and I wanna stretch that process as long as I can so a darkening agent instead of a lightening one
    Last edited by Mariekeeee14; August 30th, 2019 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Typo

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

I did my first SMT yesterday and I loved it!

I have used honey mixed with a deep conditioner in the past before and it definitely helps with frizz, but this combo was something new and it did make a difference!

I used 2 part DevaCurl Melt Into Moisture, 2 part SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Masque (so 4 part conditioner), 1 part Honey and 1 part freshly made aloe vera gel. Warmed it up, added to hair, covered with shower cap and then I applied heat for a few minutes. Then wrapped an additional towel over it and left it in for an hour.

When I washed it out, my hair felt b.u.t.t.e.r.y soft. Amazing!
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017. Last Chem Dye Aug 2019. Last Henna Feb 2020

Length
    BSL/BCL/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BerrySara View Post
    When I washed it out, my hair felt b.u.t.t.e.r.y soft. Amazing!
    Buttery soft is exactly the right expression! I did one again today with Alverde Avocado Shea conditioner, aloe vera gel and castor oil, and the buttery goodness started right after I started rinsing. Loved the feeling!

Length
    APL/TBL/Long
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I was going to do a deep conditioning treatment today and forgot about SMT. I used to do SMT with yes to carrots condtioner and sadly they changed the formula. Now that condtioner makes my hair dry. I'll have to see into finding a similar one.
    currently approaching tbl

Length
    27/27.5/32
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Huh... I don't use conditioner on my hair (allergies mostly), but I'm interested in keeping this treatment in mind in case I need it someday, or just want to experiment. Buttery soft hair sounds so pleasant!

Is there something else one could mix in with the honey and aloe vera juice to get a similar softening effect, like shea butter, apple cider vinegar, or something else? I noticed shea butter was in the reported to work section, but I wasn't sure if it was in-addition-to-conditioner or a replacement item.
    NW/SO since 7OCT2019 || Hennaing since March 2015 || Recently blunted my hemline, regrowing lost 5"

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by FaerieToast View Post
    Huh... I don't use conditioner on my hair (allergies mostly), but I'm interested in keeping this treatment in mind in case I need it someday, or just want to experiment. Buttery soft hair sounds so pleasant!

Is there something else one could mix in with the honey and aloe vera juice to get a similar softening effect, like shea butter, apple cider vinegar, or something else? I noticed shea butter was in the reported to work section, but I wasn't sure if it was in-addition-to-conditioner or a replacement item.
    I have actually just recently done a few treatments with aloe and honey that did not include conditioner.

Here is what I did just last night;
    2 Tbsp of Shea butter melted (or Mango butter or Cacao butter)
    2 Tbsp of coconut oil (If your hair dislikes coconut oil, can sub with avocado oil or olive oil or other oil)
    1 tsp of Jojoba oil (or any oils that you prefer)
    1 tsp of sweet almond oil

Whipped together, then cooled (to solidy).
    Then mixed in the aloe and honey.

I will say I wouldn't claim it to be same as SMT but it did make my hair incredibly soft. I say this because for me, SMT does not feel too heavy and I can use it as a DC treatment after washing my hair. However, replacing the conditioner with butters and oils makes it quite a heavy treatment at least for my hair. So when I do this I definitely have to do it as a pre-poo to wash it out properly. But my hair does feel amazing after a butter treatment like this combined with aloe and honey.
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017. Last Chem Dye Aug 2019. Last Henna Feb 2020

Length
    27/27.5/32
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BerrySara View Post
    I have actually just recently done a few treatments with aloe and honey that did not include conditioner.

Here is what I did just last night;
    2 Tbsp of Shea butter melted (or Mango butter or Cacao butter)
    2 Tbsp of coconut oil (If your hair dislikes coconut oil, can sub with avocado oil or olive oil or other oil)
    1 tsp of Jojoba oil (or any oils that you prefer)
    1 tsp of sweet almond oil

Whipped together, then cooled (to solidy).
    Then mixed in the aloe and honey.

I will say I wouldn't claim it to be same as SMT but it did make my hair incredibly soft. I say this because for me, SMT does not feel too heavy and I can use it as a DC treatment after washing my hair. However, replacing the conditioner with butters and oils makes it quite a heavy treatment at least for my hair. So when I do this I definitely have to do it as a pre-poo to wash it out properly. But my hair does feel amazing after a butter treatment like this combined with aloe and honey.
    Oh that sounds quite wonderful! I'll give it a try next washday with the oils I have available at home, and work from there to see what my hair likes.