Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Length You Started Using Hair Toys?

Length
    5/5/TBD
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default Length You Started Using Hair Toys?

I'm dying to use/buy more hair sticks, but my hair is nowhere near long enough yet to use them, at least I don't think it is.

What length was your hair before you could use hair sticks/forks? How long are the sticks you used? (If you don't remember, how long is your hair now/how long are your sticks now?)
    Pixie to Ears to Chin to Shoulders to APL to BSL (to Waist?)
    Current challenge(s): No Trim 2020
    Last trim/cut: February 2020

Length
    13/31/Donno
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Length You Started Using Hair Toys?

So I started being able to put my hair up with 5 prong Jeter's and ficcare at 19-19.5", and for about every 1/3" of length I gained I was able to drop a tine on my forks, down to sticks at around 21-21.5". It was about 3-4 months of growth this summer for me. I just measured this month and I'm at 23" and solid APL. I joined here in February at 17". That was hard. From Pixie to being able to put it up was the hardest for me. It still seems like it's taking SO long, but at least I can put it up and forget about it. I would highly suggest you don't measure your hair but once a month. I would focus on it so much and it just made it worse. It's like weighing yourself often when you are trying to lose weight. It's just a bad idea.

Any who, I bought toys like crazy and now that I can use them, I am way more selective in what I buy.

Hugs! The best part about hair is it just grows. We are the ones that need patience.
    ISO: Medium or Small leopard, border, or silky Logo ficcare
    Pixie to TBL. Cut back to waist, thinking of going shorter

Length
    Pixie/Hip/Cl+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I got my first pair of sticks when I was about APL but I'd been wearing a cinnabun with a claw clips for months before that. The sticks are 5" and worked great. Now that I'm at BSL, they're starting to get a little buried, but I'm not sure they'll ever completely disappear in a bun.

Like Quasi said, it just grows. I know it sucks having to wait for it, but it does happen. And I swear, one day, you'll be getting ready to wash your hair and you'll look at it in the mirror and think "WHOA! When did my hair grow so much??"

Maybe you could try buying things when you hit certain milestones. And also, don't underestimate the holding power and potential beauty of the claw clip. Happy growing (sorry for the novel )
    Pixie...Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist...Hip...Tailbone...Classic

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I didn't buy a fork until my hair was about waist length! It was a 4" fpl, 5" total and was a good fit (and still fits!) I would try to hold my hair up with pencil/sticks before, but I couldn't get it to work until my hair was a bit longer (but that might've been more of a getting the hang of it thing than a hair length thing, because I know lots of people can use sticks and forks with hair shorter than waist!)
    << on the journey to grow back to this length and beyond

Length
    buzz/mthgh/??
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

I'm not sure why but I couldn't seem to hold my hair up with a stick before I hit waist length. But my hair is slippery and I'd never done buns before so I was prolly just doing it wrong And I'd never tried using claw clips or other tools (I bet a 4-prong fork would have worked). I didn't buy any hair sticks until I was sure I could use one (I practiced with a pencil) and I was sooo happy when I finally got the hang of it (and I bought myself some Ketylos ) Now my favorite are fat sticks like Lady Idun.

I know that many people can use hair toys at much shorter lengths. I think it depends on the hair thickness and texture.
    ~ Tailbone * Classic * Fingertip * Mid-Thigh * Knee? * ~ Visit my long hair blog: http://longhairleili.tumblr.com/

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I could get a hairstick to hold at APL. However, it was not in any particular LHC style or anything. Just sort-of twisted up and sticked. Not really a bun. Too much thickness. I also had to re-do it several times a day, as it would fall out on occasion.

Now I can do most styles (almost hip) and still re-do styles throughout the day, mainly because of headaches.
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb
    Hip length to Pixie, now growing long again. Currently past SL, heading to APL.

Length
    10/19/39
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I can use hairsticks at BSL usually. Any shorter and tufts start sticking out.

Length
    Bob/BSL/Hip+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I could only use a stick when I got longer than BSL and even then it barely went up. I think it was because my hair is so thick though.

Pixie - Ear - Jaw - Chin - SL - CBL- APL- BSL - WL - HL - TBL

Length
    bob/27.5/hip??
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I got my first stick, a 5" one, when I was nearly at apl. Can't remember what the length would've been but apl was 21" so a little bit before that. I cut an old chopstick in half and practiced with that first as I didn't want to invest money in hair toys until Iwas sure I could do a bun with a stick. Before that I'd either used a sock bun or little claw clips to hold a bun up. I still use claw clips sometimes for a change. I don't have many hair toys at the moment, I want to wait til I reach my goal before I do any serious buying.
    **shoulder**cbl**apl**BSL**waist**

Wittingly Unpronounceable fišrildi's Avatar
    Length
    26"/40"/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

BSL-MBL, some months after I joined this forum. I had never been interested by hair toys until then

Lady Anairė of the Bow and Arrow, Wizardess of the Tundra Waterfalls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL • MBL • WL • HL • BCL • TBL • Classic