Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic hair toys to learn with?

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Default Re: Basic hair toys to learn with?

I have basically your same hair type. My hair is quite slippery, and a lot of people with fine hair do have slippery hair. So with that in mine I'd recommend

A pair of Ketylos if you want sticks, dymondwood for damp (not wet! ) bunning. You may well need two at this length. Eads would be my second choice for sticks, and I'd get a pair there too. I have days acrylics just will not hold, but for damp bunning nothing beats them. Exotic wood Ketylos hold better for me than the dymondwood, and they are my personal preference (thoughi have plenty of both!), but dymondwood is better for damp.

But before sticks, I'd recommend a three prong fork. It's more versatile than a two or four prong,and can hold some styles at shoulder that sticks just can't yet. 60th Street is the favorite of a lot of us thin, fine hair folk, and also Jeterforks. Jeters are larger and I would recommend a three prong there too - his four prongs are massive!

A lot of people have luck with Quattro forks, but I wouldn't recommend them as a "starter". They're too expensive! Figure out what you like first and then branch out into them. His basic sticks though, are fantastic for even my slippery hair!

~Proud member of the Renegray Gang~

Length
    Pixie/Hip/Cl+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

My first non-claw clip hair toy was a pair of Ead sticks and I still love them (though I do worry I'll outgrow them). I now have two pairs of acrylic Ead sticks, one oversize and a freebie single walnut stick. I probably use them more than anything (because I feel like my Jeters are too special for everyday wear). The pairs are pretty skinny and for me and the experience I have, can't get just one stick to hold any style but together they're great. They also don't hold as well for me when my hair is in need of a wash, but I use the oversize in the shower with no problem.

Plus you would have to try really hard to break one of those suckers. I once dropped my oversized stick in the shower THREE times in a row from about 5 feet above the ground and not so much as a scratch on it.

Good luck with whatever you choose to get and remember to practice gently.
    Pixie...Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist...Hip...Tailbone...Classic

Length
    6/32/47
    Type
    2c/F/ii

My sincere gratitude to the enablers here and it's just possible I've not enough hair toys

But

In extended time away from my stash I learned that I am totally good with sticks, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. Yet a longhair I know swears by her Flexis, and says exactly the same thing about her Flexis as I do my EdSticks/Ketlyos. Yes, I buy pairs, I don't need pairs yet but I love the finished look.
    Buíochas mo chroi orm from Lady Tae of The Rose Path , of the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    #TimesUp! #MeToo #Resist