Page 2 of 354 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deep Conditioning/Treatment Check-in Thread

Type
    2a/F/i

Default Re: The Deep Conditioning/Treatment Check-in Thread

I try to do a deep conditioning treatment often, although it doesn't always happen. Maybe this will get me to do it more!

Here's what I do for my treatment. My hair just LOVES it. I mix up some main and tail, one egg yolk, and some sort of oil or aloe, depending on the season. I pile it into wet hair, put a shopping bag (fancy!) and then a knit hat of tshirt over that to lock in the heat. I leave it in through a few episodes of Gilmore girls or How I met You Mother (my timing system is VERY sophisticated lol) and then I was and condition at normal.

I would do one tomorrow, but I'm really sick. I needed to wash today but it might end up in a bun on top of my head again. Depends how I feel/if it itches.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine <3 View Post
    I pile it into wet hair, put a shopping bag (fancy!) and then a knit hat of tshirt over that to lock in the heat.
    That sounds like a great idea. Do you get any dripping down your neck or anything? I always get that when I put it up in a shower cap. Maybe your way is the way to go.

Length
    Neck/APL/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

I do a deep treatment once every week, either overnight coconut oil or just using my Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter mask. I've actually combined the two, leaving the mask on for 30 mins or so and then putting warmed coconut oil over it, and then letting that sit overnight. I had been doing SMTs every other week, but now that the season's changing and the air's getting dryer I worry about putting humectants in my hair. Since my ends are so damaged and dry, deep treatments are pretty necessary to make sure they don't become straw, haha.
    Short hair at heart growing long with dye damaged hair... we'll see how far I go.
    No kings, no gods, no masters...

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Does pre-wash coconut oiling count?
    Growing to knee! At HIP currently

Type
    2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterinleo View Post
    That sounds like a great idea. Do you get any dripping down your neck or anything? I always get that when I put it up in a shower cap. Maybe your way is the way to go.
    As long as I don't leave my hair to wet. I usually use a cup to wet my hair in the sink and then squeeze the extra water out with a towel. If I forget to squeeze out the water it drips everywhere. I still get a little bit near my ears, but I think it's because my glasses make it so there is a gap. I just sit with a hand towel, just in case!

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I know! I felt the same way when I first saw it. It definitely made me go "WTF?" But I did a bunch of searching around and essentially it's the only option out there that I can buy directly from a store and isn't crazy expensive. I'll post about my results after I do the treatment.
    Actually, plain gelatin is super cheap. You can get 4+ protein treatments in one small box of Knox brand gelatine for around $1 at Walmart and other grocery stores. Here's a link to 2 different recipes. If you look at the link list, there is a recipe for a thicker protein treatment so that there is less dripping during/after application.

I've done the basic recipe once but only mixed the gelatin powder with water as I already had oil in my hair and then I let it air dry for 10-15 mins because I was worried about overdoing the protein although I think I should have left it in longer or tried applying heat to the treatment(blow-drying it on cool as Sciencey suggests).

Ordinarily, I do an overnight pre-wash oil treatment every week followed by a deep conditioning treatment such as an SMT or just some conditioner and water left in for 30+ mins before I CO-wash the oil away. However, I want to stray away from CO-washing as well as wash more often to test if conditioner and an overabundance of sebum (from not washing my scalp often enough) could be increasing my shed rate.

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

@alishaxmarie, I never knew you could get gelatin from the store! Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine <3 View Post
    As long as I don't leave my hair to wet. I usually use a cup to wet my hair in the sink and then squeeze the extra water out with a towel. If I forget to squeeze out the water it drips everywhere. I still get a little bit near my ears, but I think it's because my glasses make it so there is a gap. I just sit with a hand towel, just in case!
    I put on my treatment in the shower. My hair is definitely soaked when I do it. That's likely my problem, lol. I'll try with my hair not so wet next time.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

@alishaxmarie, I never knew you could get gelatin from the store! Thanks for the link!

I put on my treatment in the shower. My hair is definitely soaked when I do it. That's likely my problem, lol. I'll try with my hair not so wet next time.
    It might be in the Hispanic/Ethnic food aisle or with the baking stuff (because I guess it can be used to make cheesecake? lol) so you may need to ask someone who works there, just be very clear that you do not want Jell-O brand because that has food coloring and sugar and who knows what else besides gelatin but I'm happy to help

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Guys,I did a coconut oil deep oiling and my hair came out weird so this is when I'm officially done with heavy oilings.I count this as a DT done

Practicing Patience veryhairyfairy's Avatar
    Length
    APL/CBL/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I like this idea because I always mean to do an oil soak before I wash, and then I forget/get too lazy.
    Today is wash day and I'm currently marinating in two things under a shower cap and a winter hat;
    coconut oil with peppermint oil on my scalp (it helps with my minor dandruff), and about a tablespoon of this on the rest.

I'm trying to use up the jojoba cream because I don't really like the way it feels/looks on my face. It also doesn't work very well as a hair oil because it causes an over-oiled look with the tiniest amount, so maybe a DT will be the way to use it up before it goes bad.

I'll probably leave it on for about 4 hours and then wash as usual (scalp wash with sulfate free shampoo, condition-condition).
    Formerly a Henna-Head, formerly FTL, formerly patient