Page 11 of 354 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deep Conditioning/Treatment Check-in Thread

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: The Deep Conditioning/Treatment Check-in Thread

Hey if oil counts, my hair is soaked to the gills right now with coconut oil. I've been pretty good with the last three washes about using an overnight coconut oil soak beforehand, however I've been far less good about using SMTs.

Oh hey, what are your thoughts on a bit of heat (on warm, held a good distance from hair) from a blowdryer to help coconut oil penetrate better? I've seen a few deep conditioners and oils use heat as a part of the process, I'm wondering if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by HintOfMint; November 16th, 2014 at 12:43 AM.

Length
    APL/TBL/idk
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

did an SMT last night, my hair feels a million times better and a lot less tangly
    ~* Just do your best, whatever your "best" is today. *~

Length
    MBL/Waist/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    Hey if oil counts, my hair is soaked to the gills right now with coconut oil. I've been pretty good with the last three washes about using an overnight coconut oil soak beforehand, however I've been far less good about using SMTs.

Oh hey, what are your thoughts on a bit of heat (on warm, held a good distance from hair) from a blowdryer to help coconut oil penetrate better? I've seen a few deep conditioners and oils use heat as a part of the process, I'm wondering if it makes a difference.
    All I can tell you is that I'm also very fond of coconut oil pre-poos, and a few times I've saturated my hair with it and then decided not to wash my hair because dry shampoo + keeping it up means no one's the wiser and my hair looks squeaky clean, so I've just thrown my shower cap on and hopped in the shower, and after using hot water and getting out....wow, my hair is so silky when I do that - and it usually goes from looking like I haven't washed it in a month to looking just soft and silky. I think the heat does help it penetrate better.

Waist ~ Hip ~ TBL ~ Classic ~ Knee

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post

I find mild heat fine with oils. I would cover with a plastic cap or similar though. I don't often do this myself but have just brought a wooly hat to wear on top of a shower cap during treatments/oilngs. Actually I do usualy wear a shower cap with a towel wrapped around it when doing methi pack, henna or other DT's that aren't heavy oilings.
    I do remember many years ago I sometimes wore a wig that was microbraids. My hair was chemically fried from colouring at this point and was very dry and frizzy. After wearing the wig with my hair contained in a wig cap underneath all day I would take it off and the heat plus a light oiling made my hair so soft feeling and shiny. Anyway that's my long winded way of saying mild heat in conjunction with oiling seems a great idea.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Well my DT mix is ready, I mixed the methi seed in the early hours of this morning with brahmi and henna added. I've left it all day and just added some natural yogurt and added rosemary and ylang ylang essential oils. My hair has been soaking in oils for days now, Sesa, VCO and then sea buckthorn, avocao, jojoba, mustard and EO's for the last couple of nights roughly.
    Anyway off to put it on and leave on for hopefully a few hours.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Practicing Patience veryhairyfairy's Avatar
    Length
    APL/CBL/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I wanted to do something with conditioner and molasses today, but it's so cold that I can't imagine something wet and drippy on me (not to mention having to shower twice!).
    I compromised by spraying my hair with catnip tea (my new old favorite hair additive) until it was pretty wet and then put on a good tablespoon of safflower oil. I'll let it soak for a few hours and then wash like usual. (and then maybe soak my ends in the tea again)
    Formerly a Henna-Head, formerly FTL, formerly patient

Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklylady82 View Post
    The ends of my shortest layers are starting to feel crunchy. I've been using the Aussie 3 minute miracle after every wash (WCC). I wonder if I need to clarify or if a protein treatment would help?...or both? What do you all think?
    Sparklylady, the Aussie 3 minute miracle has protein in it, and crunchy ends are typical of too much protein. I would clarify and then just use moisturizing conditioners without protein or a while.

Length
    APL/APL/TBL!
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    It's amazing stuff. Full fat natural yogurt does wonders as a conditioning treatment. Here is a thread about it http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ghlight=yogurt
    OOH cool beans. I might have to give it a try sometime.

I have coconut oil on my length again, I was going to go to the store for some aloe vera gel but then I got sidetracked, so no SMT for me this week. Next week though. (Next week I'm going to the Great Wolf Lodge and am PANICKED about my hair care for the water park... :/ Save me.)

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by veryhairyfairy View Post
    I wanted to do something with conditioner and molasses today, but it's so cold that I can't imagine something wet and drippy on me (not to mention having to shower twice!).
    I compromised by spraying my hair with catnip tea (my new old favorite hair additive) until it was pretty wet and then put on a good tablespoon of safflower oil. I'll let it soak for a few hours and then wash like usual. (and then maybe soak my ends in the tea again)
    I've been meaning to try catnip tea to prevent split ends. Does it work?

97 cm Photo taken 1-1-2017

Length
    22.5/25.25/??
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by allycat View Post
    Sparklylady, the Aussie 3 minute miracle has protein in it, and crunchy ends are typical of too much protein. I would clarify and then just use moisturizing conditioners without protein or a while.
    AH hA! Thank you, I forgot to check that out ;-)
    No Trims for second half of 2018
    *deep conditioning & Olaplaex treatment*
    Currently Shoulder length~06/2018!