Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How have you fallen in love with long hair ? (your first "long hair crush", etc.)

Complex creature

Default How have you fallen in love with long hair ? (your first "long hair crush", etc.)

Hello all long hair lovers around here !

I am curious to know about your love story for long hair : when "did it all begin" for you ??

For me, as a child, having long hair was the normal standard in the family for a girl. I had never thought about it as a particular choice or non-choice. It was just so, and my parents considered it as "normality" for my sister and I, to wear it around mid-back.

One day, at school, I saw a new girl with what I considered as an extraordinary opulent mane : she had similar hair as me in shape and color, but sooooo much longer (between TBL and classic) and thicker (a jaw-droping iii) !! I was completely marveled with admiration and envy !... Anytime I could, I put myself behind her in the line in order to look at her hair when she was climbing the stairs to go to her classroom. The funny thing is that I never tried to talk to her : for me, she was just THE HAIR, lol. And I started thinking that if I let my hair grow, it would also become very long and lovely floating in my back like hers, though not so thick and gorgeous. And I could also move with grace and mystery like her^^.

A few years later (I was about 13-14 year old) I saw a black and white film on TV with an actress (ac-tress, ha ha ha) who was bearing two endless incredible knee-length plaits, each of one as thick as my only one. It was a complete revelation to me : yes, princess hair did exist !! Lol.

That's how many years later, aiming at terminal length (I never was a reasonable girl^^), I had my hair to classic length (my longest ever)... but that's another story, since it happened 3 times to me, with a cut to a short bob every time in between ! (Which allowed me to keep a nice plaited trophy each time^^).

Looking forward to reading from your story !!

Crazy Mim'

Type
    2a/C/ii

Default Re: How have you fell in love with long hair ? (your first "long hair crush", etc.)

I never had a real 'crush' on someones hair like you did. I cut layers and I HATED my hair, so I wanted to grow them out. My hair was bleached and it was extremely damaged. So I was searching on the internet for some tips on hair care. And then I thought: "wouldn't it be amazing when there was something like a long hair community?" So I typed 'long hair community' in google and guess what happened... Then I saw all these amazing pictures and I wanted to grow my hair to waist without layers. And then I wanted to grow it longer. And longer. Now my goal is 36... But it might change again

Length
    MBL/waist/clas
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: How have you fell in love with long hair ? (your first "long hair crush", etc.)

I never really 'wanted' long hair when I was younger its just that I was/am incredibly shy and found my hair perfect to hide behind! The longer the hair the more hidden I felt!
    My first hair crush was probably Daryl Hannah though....she had gorgeous floaty mermaid hair!

Length
    32/40/?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

This is sad, but my first long hair crush was on this forum. You never really notice long hair unless it is down. Long hair on the floor still grosses me out, so I never really liked it that long. I remember seeing a long haired lady in a crowded restaurant, her hair got caught on an elderly man walking behind her chair with a cane. The poor man didn't mean to cause an accident and I felt like she was mean to him and should have taken care of her hair in a way to prevent harm to it herself instead of expecting everyone else to watch out for it.

My hair is just a little past waist and I do like to wear it down some to show it off, but it is easier to handle in a bun.
    Lady Nephelai, Storm-Breaker of the Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    12"/51"/Knee!
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

When I was 7 years old a new family moved in across from us, and the little girl in that family was, to me, the most beautiful person I had ever seen. She had jet-black classic length hair to start with, eyes that were so dark they were almost black, and coffee-colored skin. Just a gorgeous little girl. I so wanted to be just like her. Of course that was never going to happen; my hair is not jet-black and never will be, and I'm an Anglo and will never have that beautiful dark skin or eyes. Also, my name was never going to be Rachel, like hers was, even though I begged my parents to change it. That was when I first wanted to have long hair but as a child my mother would not allow it. She always kept my hair cut very short.

Ever since I have loved the name Rachel and have loved long hair. We moved out soon after that and I never got to know that girl but I've always wondered what happened to her.

Type
    2b/M/iii

My love affair with long hair began innocently enough..watching Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz (on tv 195. I fell like a ton of bricks for her beautiful chestnut braids with the softly curled tassels! Of course I knew she was wearing a wig, but that didn't matter. I plaited my hair like hers and went to school the next day, and got kidded a lot "Judy, Judy, Judy". I didn't care.

And that began my love affair with long hair in films. I love classic films anyway (from the 30s and 40s) and made it a point to watch and take notes of what films featured long hair (however briefly!). So many wonderful movies:

San Francisco (1936)
    The Little Princess (1939)
    The Crusades (1935)
    A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1949)
    Ivanhoe (1950s)
    Stingaree (1930)
    We Live Again (1935)
    Adventures of Robin Hood (1939)
    Prisoner of Zenda (1937)
    Lady Godiva with Maureen O'Hara
    And ALL the famous "Sissi" films starring Romy Schneider (the "hair" movie of all time for me)
    Ludwig (with Romy reprising her role as Empress Elisabeth of Austria. There's a very beautiful long shot of her hair when she is the bedroom speaking to her sister. The camera lingers lovingly along the length. heavy sigh!)

When I wasn't watching long hair films, I scoured my public library for hair books (darn few!). When the film "10" with Bo Derek appeared and the rage for braids took wing, I haunted a local magazine dealer who carried mags from around the world. He had at least 10 American hair mags and a few European ones. Alas, I only had time to browse thru the American issues. This went on for several months until the fad for braids disappeared and content was focused on short styles again. I have a very nice collection of articles and such from that wonderful period.

I'm just nuts about long hair..and how to style it!

Last edited by Madora; September 20th, 2014 at 09:30 AM.

Length
    CBL/FTL+/CL+
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I actually started growing long hair because I had a slightly grown-out pixie when I starting dating my now-fiancÚ, and he said he liked hair better long. So I just let it be and got trims every once in a while and didn't really think about it at all! Then I got to MBL and the only style I knew -- a freaking ponytail -- was no longer enough to get my hair out of my way. So I starting googling long hair styles, and I kept getting directed here. And then I stumbled across Cinnamon Hair's website, beyondclassiclength.com, and I suppose that was my first hair crush, because her hair is gorgeous! And I saw that she was on the LHC and I thought, "Why am I even using Google anymore when everything I want to know about hair is on this website?" So I signed up.

Funny thing is, the fiancÚ's idea of "long hair" is between shoulder and APL, and he doesn't like anything longer. Too bad, I'm somewhat obsessed now.
    {free of stress about length gains}
    46.25" of hair (12/7/19)
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    long/TMI/thend
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

It's part of me. I love my hair the same way I love my body, and my personality. I have earned my self love, and my gorgeous hair is just another amazing facet of myself. If I'm ever bald, I will love my beautifully shaped head. But for now, I have long hair, and it's an important part of the whole vessel that is ME. And I me.

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

I think it was a combination of things for me - a ton of bad haircuts when I was a kid that led me to hate getting my hair cut (funny, I always brought in pictures of hair much longer than mine. I must have been confused as to how cutting hair = shorter hair), plus an obsession with mermaids and fantasy. I got made fun of for my hair a TON when I was young though, and the last thing I wanted was more hair for them to make fun of. It wasn't until I was in high school, and started taking care of it, that I fell in love with it and finally started growing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    Funny thing is, the fiancÚ's idea of "long hair" is between shoulder and APL, and he doesn't like anything longer. Too bad, I'm somewhat obsessed now.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he grew to love it.

Length
    CBL/FTL+/CL+
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Well, Aeris, I was hoping it would "grow" on him (ha) but after about BSL (and up through tailbone) he complained that it was trying to strangle him and didn't like finding super long shed hairs inside his clothes. But he supports it as a hobby because he knows I like it a lot, so he hasn't criticized me too much for wanting to grow it out again.
    {free of stress about length gains}
    46.25" of hair (12/7/19)
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com