Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using hair sticks.

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Using hair sticks.

Sorry... complete noob here.

Seriously, how do you properly insert hair sticks so that they actually hold your style? I'm obviously doing it wrong because every time I try, my whole style just falls right out.

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Using hair sticks.

I'll try and explain it the best way I can you basically want to put the stick in, in the opposite direction that you want it to go when you are done. Then, as you are flipping it the way you want to go, you will grab hair with it near the scalp and that is how you get it to stay. Maybe this will provide better explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9JXMRpMMrM

Shaved Chin SL APL BSL WL HL BCL TBL Classic

Length
    chin/ftl/45
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I use the pivot technique. Starting with the point inserted into the bun pivot out (away from the center), and turn back in (toward the center), grabbing scalp hair as you push it through (to the opposite side of the bun).

I realized that this is basically the same explanation as skeletonous. Good luck in your hair adventures!
    Am I indecisive?

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I haven't tried that approach yet, I stick it in, wiggle it to get some scalp hair, and then push it out again on the other side.
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by laceyfairy View Post
    I use the pivot technique. Starting with the point inserted into the bun pivot out (away from the center), and turn back in (toward the center), grabbing scalp hair as you push it through (to the opposite side of the bun).

I realized that this is basically the same explanation as skeletonous. Good luck in your hair adventures!
    I think that's a great way to put it it's always good to have different explanations for the same thing. I didn't know it was called the pivot technique...the more you know!

Shaved Chin SL APL BSL WL HL BCL TBL Classic

and PrinceVesuvius (Cat) PrincessBob's Avatar
    Length
    21"/70.5"/69"
    Type
    1c/M/iii

This is my best demonstration.
    http://youtu.be/zKreEv9smPM?t=2m30s
    The Cereduin ♫Melody Maker♪ and Bard
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and
    CrochetWizard
    Credit Avatar:LemonJolly 2015 / Credit Siggy: Snuggles, September 2015

Length
    25/33/39
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Don't worry, I had the same problem when I started and it would always get on my nerves.

If you just put the stick on your bun if will obviously fall down. Look at all the tutorials, look at the gesture they make.

I put the stick under my roots, it hurts a bit at the beginning because you feel like the stick is pulling your hair. So you have your bun done, instead of just putting the stick right away, take your roots with the stick, like the stick have to touch your scalp. then put the stick in the bun like you would normally do and do the scalp thing again.

Length
    18 in/18in/floor

I'm with DreamSheep - I just put it in and wiggle it about some so I grab some roots. But then I'm a noob too
    *slinks off to practice a proper technique*

Chin - Shoulder - Oxter - BraStrap - Waist - Hip - TailBone - Classic - Knee - Ankle - Floor

Length
    14"/35"/51"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I pivot, like skeletonus and laceyfaery decribed, but I also cheat sometimes and secure my style with a couple bobby pins in addition to the hair stick or fork.

Back in black, and growing to the bitter end.

APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ Tailbone ~ Butt ~ Classic

Length
    28/42.5/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

I can't describe it better than laceyfairy. Watch some more videos like the ones suggested and just play around a bit. Try an easy bun (like a Lazy Wrap) first, where there are clearly marked points where the stick should go.
    If you have difficulties with the hairstyles as well, put your hair in a ponytail first if that's easier until you get the hang of it. Since you have quite straight and fine hair, you should start out with wooden hairsticks (not metal ones) because they're not as smooth. The metal ones slide out more easily on fine and straight hair.
    ...procrastinating the new signature...