Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non damaging temporary hair straightening techniques? Other than wrapping?

Default Non damaging temporary hair straightening techniques? Other than wrapping?

Hello, everyone, long time no see! I need to stop by here more often xD

Anyways, my hair's reached tailbone by now, well, sorta, the ends are fairytailing, it's full hip, but fairytails up to the tailbone (mostly because I don't trim it's been months, not because it's weak xD) and I do like my natural texture, but on november I'll go to a renfair where I live, and I intend to cosplay as Tauriel from the Hobitt, so, I'd like to know if there is any way to straighten my hair to look like an elf without damaging it x.x

I have heard about hair wrapping, but my hair is so long it just turns into a tangled mess when I try it... any tips? I want a temporary effect, just to wear it for a day, not trying to permanently alter my texture. Thank you for the help!
    Hennahead

Length
    27/Clasc/48
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Non damaging temporary hair straighening techniques? Other than wraping?

This wont make your hair totally straight, but it does a pretty good job! When your hairs damp comb it. You can add some leave in if you like. Then grab it like you would a ponytail at the nape of your neck, and twist it all the way to the ends. fold it in half on your head and clip it up with a alligator clip or a ficcare clip. Let it dry 100% and when you let it down it will be almost straight (:

Length
    APL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Non damaging temporary hair straighening techniques? Other than wraping?

The only way I've ever done it is to comb it out wet, and sit up against something with your hair behind you for hours. I did that on a 2 1/2 hour trip and my hair was the straightest it has been since I was 5. I don't think many people have the patience for that. Maybe you could try super big rollers? I know my aunt used to use orange juice cans in the 70's.
    My favorite hair toy - Ficcare Fuchsia Lotus

Length
    bald/pixie/waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Try combing it in front of a fan, or a blow dryer set to cool only? If you break it into two sections and comb them out in front of you, it should be doable both from an endurance perspective, and minimizing tangles, which would be the main damage concern once you remove heat from the equation. That should be pretty safe for one day I'd think?

Maybe tie the very ends, add a weight to them or put them under something heavy, and then fan/blow dry on cool to avoid the extra combing as well? My mad scientist brain might be getting away from me with that one... But it's a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by RoseofCimarron View Post
    The only way I've ever done it is to comb it out wet, and sit up against something with your hair behind you for hours. I did that on a 2 1/2 hour trip and my hair was the straightest it has been since I was 5. I don't think many people have the patience for that. Maybe you could try super big rollers? I know my aunt used to use orange juice cans in the 70's.
    Sounds like a great time for a YouTube marathon!

Length
    19"/19"/long!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

one of the things that some people do is to comb your hair out while its damp, make a low ponytail and tie lots of thick hair ties under the ponytail directly underneath one another adding hair ties until you run out of hair. You will obviously need a lot of hair ties, but I`ve seen people use this technique online on Youtube videos. I would give it a practise round to see whether you like the results.

After I wash my hair, I squeeze all the water out of my hair so it's hanging straight, at the front of my chest. Then, I wrap it in a towel or t-shirt so while it's twisted, it's still pulled straight. Then I take the hair down, and comb it straight several times as it dries. By the end, it's pretty straight.

I don't know if that'd work for you, your hair's a bit wavier than I think my natural texture is. (I'm not 100% sure what my natural texture is, because I use that straightening method after almost every wash and add waves back into my hair via braiding.)

Thank you for the replies, everyone!

@preetyinpink hm... I'll try that! Doesn't seem too hard xD

@RoseofCinnamon huge rollers sound interesting, but I can only find those velcro rollers and I don't like the way they stick to the hair xD How did your grandma got those juice cans to not slip out of the hair? That reminds me of Lady Gaga on telephone xD About putting the hair up, I supose I could try it as well, i wonder if I could sleep on that?

@lilin now that you said about the cool option on the blowdrier I feel a bit slow for not thinking of that xDDD That is definatelly an option! I gotta borrow the dryer from my sister though, since I got rid of mine long ago xDD

@CJCHair-Stylist hm... I think I've heard of that before... Gotta go get more hair ties to see if the hair doesn't get marked by them

@Creagan I have in the past trid to comb my hair while it is drying to get it straigher, but I don't think that's for me, I mean it does get straighter... but also super frizzy... I used to do that back when I was a teen xD But thanks for the tip!
    Hennahead

Type
    2b/M/iii

The GM Salon created nearly pin straight hair on their clients by using huge rollers, set in a specific pattern.

The soda can idea might not be bad but how on earth would you sleep with all those cans in your hair? Worse comes to worse, you could look for large pieces of foam rubber and then cut them down to a fairly large size. Use string to tie them down.

@Madora Hmm... cutting foam definatelly sounds more compfortable xD About the soda cans, I was thinking of wearing it during the prior day at home, then sleeping in a protective style and wear it straight the next day.
    Hennahead

Quote Originally Posted by RoseofCimarron View Post
    Maybe you could try super big rollers? I know my aunt used to use orange juice cans in the 70's.
    And some girls used coffee cans!