Page 205 of 206 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206 LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2051

Thread: ISO other *colorful* longhairs?

Default Re: ISO other *colorful* longhairs?

@Jo Ann. I think you have probably used both the bleach plus clarifying shampoo and baking soda and clarifying shampoo. Is one gentler than the other? Which do you prefer? Do you think they both pull out the same amount of color or not?

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Baking soda concoctions don't damage your hair like bleach does--but baking soda concoctions can make your hair like a desert (dry dry DRY!) if you don't use a moisturizing DT afterward.

Other than root touch-ups, I haven't used bleach on my hair in a year, Pixie. When I'm force-fading a semi-permanent dye, like MP, I don't use bleach to get rid of the color. Too many stories out there about bleach not doing squat on semi-permanent dyes. Alkaline concoctions (baking soda + shampoo or vitamin C + shampoo) seems to be more productive to get rid of semi-permanent dyes, IMHO. Once I've faded the dye enough, I use the opposite color (using a hair color chart) to "neutralize" the color and get it more light blonde/white:

In my case, because I'm fading teal, I'll use an orange color to bring it to a neutral color (balance out the tones)--like getting rid of brassiness in a hair color, if you will. After ending up with purple hair when I've faded my color in the past, I realized I have to neutralize the added color (teal, in this case) instead of what the hair color looks like (because a level 9-10 is a pale yellow to start with--and, to me, that has to be discounted to "neutralize" the visible color).
    Last edited by Jo Ann; February 10th, 2019 at 12:31 AM.
    Not Cut, But After Washing, Before Brushing and Bunning...Baby steps!

I am not talking bleach with a developer. I am talking like katie's dye removal tech which is just a scoop of bleach with clarifying shampoo; almost the same as baking soda and clarifying shampoo. It does lift color awesomely, but does leave my hair really dry. Was wondering if you had tried it and could compare the methods... I am thinking they are quite similar. Both are just changing the ph to lift the cuticle so dye can easily be washed out. Was just wondering if one or the other was a less harsh method... Maybe I will have to experiment lol
    Last edited by PixieNixie; February 10th, 2019 at 12:53 AM. Reason: To be more clear

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

After my third bleach bath in six weeks, which got my color lifted enough to start using MP, I've been skittish to use anything with bleach on my own, however diluted, to remove color, Pixie. That third bleach bath really did a number on my hair and, if I don't apply a DT or really moisturizing conditioner every couple of weeks (I wash weekly as a rule), my hair lets me know how unhappy it is.

It's really funny, though, because I'll use a concoction (I know...another one??) that includes 20vol developer to lift color And I still have two packets of bleach in my dye bag, just in case...go figure.

Ah. So you do think the bleach bath is more damaging then the baking soda? That is what I was wondering. I havent tried a baking soda fade since before I bleached and was trying to remove permenant red. Surprisingly enough it did help lift a little. Was very drying on my hair though. I have done the bleach bath before but I usually wait a month or two in between. Also very drying on my hair. I am feeling the itch which is why I asked rofl. It doesnt help that the more I fade this purple the more plummy it gets and I prefer grape. >< Patience is so hard lol.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Patience is hard, indeed, Pixie!

So is my creeping perfectionism to have my hair as close to it's bleached state (colorwise--I want it to be as close to dye-free as possible before changing colors, but alas), no matter how hard I try to kick it to the curb...

I so hear you on that lol!!

Length
    Jaw/APL+/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PixieNixie View Post
    Ah. So you do think the bleach bath is more damaging then the baking soda? That is what I was wondering. I havent tried a baking soda fade since before I bleached and was trying to remove permenant red. Surprisingly enough it did help lift a little. Was very drying on my hair though. I have done the bleach bath before but I usually wait a month or two in between. Also very drying on my hair. I am feeling the itch which is why I asked rofl. It doesnt help that the more I fade this purple the more plummy it gets and I prefer grape. >< Patience is so hard lol.
    I found this article really useful; it describes methods of hair dye removal and assesses them in terms of effectiveness, how they work, and how damaging they're likely to be on your hair.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Well, I got 99-44/100% of the color out. I tried the concoction I used to move the color from teal to jade and it was like I took a step back--the color darkened slightly I ended up putting one heaping tablespoon of baking soda, baby shampoo and Head & Shoulders on my hair (but only where the dye was darkest) then sat around and watched "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" while it marinated for about 45 minutes. Now that my hair is mostly dry, there's a very very (oh so very) slight green tinge where the darkest parts were and the rest is blonde I'll be ready to dye my hair pastel rose on Wednesday!

Note to self--don't dye it so dark next time--dilute it more than 50/50...

Length
    Jaw/APL+/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Ann View Post
    Well, I got 99-44/100% of the color out. I tried the concoction I used to move the color from teal to jade and it was like I took a step back--the color darkened slightly I ended up putting one heaping tablespoon of baking soda, baby shampoo and Head & Shoulders on my hair (but only where the dye was darkest) then sat around and watched "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" while it marinated for about 45 minutes. Now that my hair is mostly dry, there's a very very (oh so very) slight green tinge where the darkest parts were and the rest is blonde I'll be ready to dye my hair pastel rose on Wednesday!

Note to self--don't dye it so dark next time--dilute it more than 50/50...
    Congrats! I'm so glad you've got the base you're after for the new colour!