Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not sure but I think my tangle teezer might be causing some breakage?

Question I'm not sure but I think my tangle teezer might be causing some breakage?

What is a good brush I can use so I can see if it makes a difference? I have a natural bristle brush but it only works when my hair is completely tangle free.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Im not sure but I think my tangle teezer might be causing some breakage?

Quote Originally Posted by kysgrl View Post
    What is a good brush I can use so I can see if it makes a difference? I have a natural bristle brush but it only works when my hair is completely tangle free.
    When you use any brush, be it nylon or plastic or a boar bristle brush, for the sake of your hair, always detangle it with a COMB first! Then brush it.

I do not recommend synthetic brushes (nylon or TTs because they are synthetic and the brushing with the synthetic brush creates heat and friction). A boar bristle brush is the closest thing to the hair's natural structure because it uses the "hair" of the wild boar. HOW you use the bbb will effect how well it works for you.

Boar bristle brushes are 100% pure boar bristles. No nylon or plastic mixed with the real boar bristles. They come in different configurations and can vary greatly, depending on the bristles themselves, the number of rows of bristles, and how closely packed the bristle clumps are (or are not).

You should never just drag a brush through your hair without first detangling it..gently..with a wide tooth comb. Once your have detangled all your hair, then it is ready to be brushed...slowly.

Default Re: Im not sure but I think my tangle teezer might be causing some breakage?

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    When you use any brush, be it nylon or plastic or a boar bristle brush, for the sake of your hair, always detangle it with a COMB first! Then brush it.

I do not recommend synthetic brushes (nylon or TTs because they are synthetic and the brushing with the synthetic brush creates heat and friction). A boar bristle brush is the closest thing to the hair's natural structure because it uses the "hair" of the wild boar. HOW you use the bbb will effect how well it works for you.

Boar bristle brushes are 100% pure boar bristles. No nylon or plastic mixed with the real boar bristles. They come in different configurations and can vary greatly, depending on the bristles themselves, the number of rows of bristles, and how closely packed the bristle clumps are (or are not).

You should never just drag a brush through your hair without first detangling it..gently..with a wide tooth comb. Once your have detangled all your hair, then it is ready to be brushed...slowly.
    My scalp ends up aching after detangling with a comb. Too much pulling no matter how gently I do it. I end up with a headache. Thats what I liked about the TT is that there was no pulling.

and PrinceVesuvius (Cat) PrincessBob's Avatar
    Length
    21"/70.5"/69"
    Type
    1c/M/iii

It can be harmful to some hair types. If you think it is hurting your hair, then switch to a wide tooth comb or finger-combing for a while and see if it seems to improve your condition? Bu you do not like to comb your hair for the same reasons daily combing doesn't work well for me. None of the people in my life who use it get much if any damage from using it. For me the Tangle Teezer is the least painful, least damaging method of detangling my tangle-prone hair. I do get splits, but not the stall causing breakage I get with every other thing. For me it is worth it.
    The Cereduin ♫Melody Maker♪ and Bard
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights and
    CrochetWizard
    Credit Avatar:LemonJolly 2015 / Credit Siggy: Snuggles, September 2015

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBob View Post
    It can be harmful to some hair types. If you think it is hurting your hair, then switch to a wide tooth comb or finger-combing for a while and see if it seems to improve your condition? Bu you do not like to comb your hair for the same reasons daily combing doesn't work well for me. None of the people in my life who use it get much if any damage from using it. For me the Tangle Teezer is the least painful, least damaging method of detangling my tangle-prone hair. I do get splits, but not the stall causing breakage I get with every other thing. For me it is worth it.
    Im not completely sure its the TT. I really hope it isn't because I love it. Combing out my hair gives me a headache. I guess I will have to tough it out for a week or so for the sake of finding out if the TT is the culprit.

Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Have you tried a Wet Brush? It looks just like any other brush but is waaay gentler. I don't think it is quite as gentle as a Tangle Teezer, but nearly so. I don't like the Wet Brush as much as the Tangle Teezer for sorting out wet hair though. How are you using your Tangle Teezer? You still have to use proper brushing technique (working up from the bottom) and be very gentle to not cause damage. Just because you can start from the top on pull it all the way through doesn't mean you should. Especially if you very long hair. My Mother has fine/thin hair that is a little past BSL and she swears by the wet brush. My hair is mid thigh and it doesn't damage my hair if I take my time and be gentle.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kysgrl View Post
    My scalp ends up aching after detangling with a comb. Too much pulling no matter how gently I do it. I end up with a headache. Thats what I liked about the TT is that there was no pulling.
    That is very strange, khysgrl. How do you detangle? What kind of comb do you use? Do you finger comb your hair first before starting to actually detangle?

Do you detangle from the ends up to the roots...in SMALL sections??? You need to be slow and gentle when you detangle with a comb. No pulling, ever! That's just asking for hair breakage like no tomorrow.

If you still can't have a painless detangling session, then might I offer a possible solution to your detangling problem: moisten your hair slightly with a mister or sprayer. Then run a few drops (1 or 2 at most) of mineral oil (baby oil) over the tines of your comb (both sides). Now, take a SMALL section of your hair and begin to detangle, working from the ends, little by little, until you reach the roots. Once you have detangled a portion of hair, clip it with a barrette to keep it from getting caught back in with the undetangled hair.

To avoid the tangles problem altogether, consider wearing your hair up (if you don't already). Updos are great way to protect your hair and avoid the mess and time that it takes getting rid of tangles.

One last thing occurred to me: have you clarified your hair recently? If not, your hair might be weighed down with product buildup, which helps to contribute to tangling issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Latte Lady View Post
    Have you tried a Wet Brush? It looks just like any other brush but is waaay gentler. I don't think it is quite as gentle as a Tangle Teezer, but nearly so. I don't like the Wet Brush as much as the Tangle Teezer for sorting out wet hair though. How are you using your Tangle Teezer? You still have to use proper brushing technique (working up from the bottom) and be very gentle to not cause damage. Just because you can start from the top on pull it all the way through doesn't mean you should. Especially if you very long hair. My Mother has fine/thin hair that is a little past BSL and she swears by the wet brush. My hair is mid thigh and it doesn't damage my hair if I take my time and be gentle.
    Yeah I have tried a wet brush. I didnt like it as much as the TT. I am using my TT in sections starting at the tip and working my way up. Like I said, Im not sure its the TT thats causing it, I want to use another detangling method for a week to rule it out. Im having a problem with my tips breaking off here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    That is very strange, khysgrl. How do you detangle? What kind of comb do you use? Do you finger comb your hair first before starting to actually detangle?

Do you detangle from the ends up to the roots...in SMALL sections??? You need to be slow and gentle when you detangle with a comb. No pulling, ever! That's just asking for hair breakage like no tomorrow.

If you still can't have a painless detangling session, then might I offer a possible solution to your detangling problem: moisten your hair slightly with a mister or sprayer. Then run a few drops (1 or 2 at most) of mineral oil (baby oil) over the tines of your comb (both sides). Now, take a SMALL section of your hair and begin to detangle, working from the ends, little by little, until you reach the roots. Once you have detangled a portion of hair, clip it with a barrette to keep it from getting caught back in with the undetangled hair.

To avoid the tangles problem altogether, consider wearing your hair up (if you don't already). Updos are great way to protect your hair and avoid the mess and time that it takes getting rid of tangles.

One last thing occurred to me: have you clarified your hair recently? If not, your hair might be weighed down with product buildup, which helps to contribute to tangling issues.
    I have been using the tangle teezer for a while now. No I don't finger comb first. I go from the tips to the roots and it doesn't pull when I use the TT but if I were to use a comb it would pull no matter how gentle I went. I have been looking into some protective hairstyles, I may start a thread about it soon. I need some idiot proof ideas. The most complicated thing I am able to do is a standard braid. I use a sulfate shampoo every other day and a hard water shampoo once a month.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I have a wooden bristle brush (from the body shop) that I like *very* much, next to my TT. They have changed them to ball-tipped ones now, but they weren't before. Don't go for ball-tipped ends no matter what you do.

Apart from that I have a Denman (wide spaced one, not the regular one). I love them all equally. But do as Madora says up thread, detangle with a wide tooth comb first, before brushing your hair! It's important. Not so much the brush, but the technique!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)