Thread: Deep Conditioning + SLS Shampoo = ?

Question Deep Conditioning + SLS Shampoo = ?

I was wondering if I make a deep treatment and I wash with SLS shampoo, will this diminish the effect of the deep/any sort of pre-shampoo-conditioning?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Deep Conditioning + SLS Shampoo = ?

Not necessarily. If you wash first, it'll clear off buildup of you have any and will charge your hair slightly, helping the conditioner to adsorb better, including any anionic components it contains.

I prefer to just rinse out my deep conditioning treatments, but plenty of people appreciate the effect they get from oiling heavily a few hours before shampooing.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Nah not really. I do this all time and I still have an effect.

Length
    24/31/37
    Type
    1c/F/ii

This might help you.

Personally, I like to wash my hair first and THEN do a conditioning treatment. But sometimes I use it before shampoo as well (because the treatment makes my hair greasy fast).

Great to hear that. I thought since SLS strips the hair out of his natural oils, it will strip off the oils from the deep conditioning.

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

I think it's alright. I used to wash after every DC and my hair was still noticeably shiny after the wash.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jaquelines View Post
    I was wondering if I make a deep treatment and I wash with SLS shampoo, will this diminish the effect of the deep/any sort of pre-shampoo-conditioning?
    Depends on the ingredients (do any penetrate?) and if you shampoo just your roots or the full lengths and ends too. The studies on oils penetrating used a sulphate shampoo, it is possible this actually aids penetration.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    20/26/32
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

The George Michael salon in London uses their blue SLS shampoo before the famous 60 minute treatment. To help it penetrate. I don't know about penetration etc but the treatment makes for very soft, bouncy, silky hair so it seems a good combination. SLS+ deep condition.

If I use SLS once I am okay, but skin begins to get flaky and stressed if repeated use, so for home deep conditioning I use my regular SLS free gentle shampoo and get similar good results.