Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a pencil as a stick

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

Default Using a pencil as a stick

Hey guys, sorry for the multiple threads recently, im trying to find the best way of securing my hair! Spin pins rarely hold, elastics break my hair, beak clips (with teeth) are okay but sometimes pull or strands get caught in the hinge. I've tried 2 pronged stick type things that were very smooth and shiny that didn't hold - maybe too slippery for my hair? Anyway I'm tempted to try using a pencil! I figured it might have more grip. My hair is insanely slippy. The only bun I've mastered is a cinnabun but I want to try others in conjunction with the pencil stick. Any tricks I should know of to help me? Bun types/tension/position etc? I'm a total novice!

My hair is baby fine and just past shoulder and as I said, very slippy!

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Using a pencil as a stick

At around shoulder-length, the things I'd recommend the most are claw-clips / jaw-clips. They are perfect for shorter length, they are hair-friendly and they really hold very well even slippery hair. I'd recommend peacock twists at this length.

I'm not surprised forks didn't work for you yet... I think they require much longer hair... and the same applies to pencils, I'm afraid. I just can't see a pencil holding shoulder-length hair, because I can't imagine what pencil bun would work... But there is certainly no harm in trying!

There is nothing wrong about using a pencil. I find that they can snag hair if the sharpened end isn't smooth enough. Because you are dealing with relatively shorter hair my preferred style was the french braid. Which you can tuck the tail back into itself and secure with a stick to get it off your neck.

I second the useful claw clip comment. I would use a medium size clip and secure it on the top, rather than trying to use the clip to bite all the hair...

LOL I forgot that my profile pic features a bic pen as hair stick. I have since upgraded to a small but very functional collection of real hair toys. I prefer pens over pencils because they don't snag and they don't snap easily.

Seriously try braids. You could probably do something with double braids and a stick. More braids is going to give you a better ratio of length to width for wrapping things. and if you get the tiny clear bands to hold them I bed they wouldn't slip out so quickly.

A approach I have seen at least one female teacher take..
    "Always better to not fight. But if must fight...win"
    Mr Miyagi

Type
    2a/C/ii

Just make sure the pencil is smooth... Otherwise, auwtch! But if it holds, why not?

Have you tried a ketylo stick already? Hair sticks didn't work for me when my hair was APL but a ketylo stick did wonders because of its shape.

Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    At around shoulder-length, the things I'd recommend the most are claw-clips / jaw-clips. They are perfect for shorter length, they are hair-friendly and they really hold very well even slippery hair. I'd recommend peacock twists at this length.

I'm not surprised forks didn't work for you yet... I think they require much longer hair... and the same applies to pencils, I'm afraid. I just can't see a pencil holding shoulder-length hair, because I can't imagine what pencil bun would work... But there is certainly no harm in trying!
    That's a little disappointing, hmm. Claw clips do hold but I find myself getting bored of them. Maybe I just need to stick with them for a while. At least they're quick to use!

Quote Originally Posted by mouse2cat View Post
    There is nothing wrong about using a pencil. I find that they can snag hair if the sharpened end isn't smooth enough. Because you are dealing with relatively shorter hair my preferred style was the french braid. Which you can tuck the tail back into itself and secure with a stick to get it off your neck.

I second the useful claw clip comment. I would use a medium size clip and secure it on the top, rather than trying to use the clip to bite all the hair...
    I still haven't mastered the french braid unfortunately. I did recently buy 3 pretty claw clips though
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse2cat View Post
    LOL I forgot that my profile pic features a bic pen as hair stick. I have since upgraded to a small but very functional collection of real hair toys. I prefer pens over pencils because they don't snag and they don't snap easily.

Seriously try braids. You could probably do something with double braids and a stick. More braids is going to give you a better ratio of length to width for wrapping things. and if you get the tiny clear bands to hold them I bed they wouldn't slip out so quickly.
    My issue with braids is that using a band or elastic to tie it off causes breakage on me - my hair is ridiculously fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    A approach I have seen at least one female teacher take..
    Erm...okay?

Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Johannah View Post
    Just make sure the pencil is smooth... Otherwise, auwtch! But if it holds, why not?

Have you tried a ketylo stick already? Hair sticks didn't work for me when my hair was APL but a ketylo stick did wonders because of its shape.
    I don't know what a ketylo is but I'm gonna look right now!

Well in that case, sticks are going to be nicer to your hair than elastics. although they can be tricky at shorter lengths. I would recommend a ketylo as well but their website is down!

French braiding is totally worth is and it's easier to do by feel than you think...

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

If you'd like to try a proper hair stick, I've got a short squiggly one that I made that doesn't get any use. The squiggle makes it more secure than straight sticks, so if anything's a match for your slippery hair, that will be. Just PM me your address if you'd like it.