Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's going on? Pics

Length
    SL/mbl/???
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default What's going on? Pics

Hi all, I joined lhc in December after deciding to grow my hair. It had been cbl for years. I had a wave to the ends which I liked. Stick straight until about 6 years ago. Prior to joining I did not look after my hair in anyway, shape or form. If it looked messy I just chopped a few inches off.

Anyway by february some curls started saying hello

[IMG][/IMG]

By April they looked like this, this is a hair typing pic

[IMG][/IMG]

Now though, my waves won't define and it look scraggly and scruffy I also noticed the other day that if I blast my hair from above it goes straight. It wasn't done on purpose, I wanted to finish off the drying and one of the kids had left it on hot and high.

This is is my routine:-

wash daily, apply serum, air dry, occasionally finish off drying with hair dryer on cool and low. Wear it up during the day, oil it before bed, wear loose in bed as I want to protect new growth.

My hair feels gorgeous, it's soft, shiny and silky, (the last pic hasn't picked up the shine) but looks very scruffy. Plus a couple of months ago, I couldn't have got it straight without straighteners. Now I can. The only thing that's different of late is that I'm using Pantene at the moment, but I change my conditioners all the time.

Could it it be that damage was making it more curly than it naturally is, or is 2a hair just extremely temperamental?

[IMG][/IMG]

my hair is longer now than this last pic, but it looks similar. This is air dried. I don't have any splits that I can find, and it is thin on the bottom 3 or 4 inches from a shed last year, but it is healthy, I promise lol

I can get it to look like this
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sorry, I don't know how to resize pics
    Last edited by diddiedaisy; August 11th, 2014 at 06:16 PM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: What's going on? Pics

2a hair can be very wild, that's for sure. So I don't think anything's going on, really. Looks like you made nice progress already.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/mbl/???
    Type
    2a/F/ii

That's the word, wild. It's just never looked as bad, and I'm putting so much effort into it!!!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by diddiedaisy View Post
    That's the word, wild. It's just never looked as bad, and I'm putting so much effort into it!!!
    Have you tried the curly girl method (no combing when dry, plopping, etc.)?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    18/31/48
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

What's in the serum you're using? I noticed your hair is fine, and I'm wondering if between the shampoo you're using and the serum its weighing the waves down.

Length
    Nape/hip/tb
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Maybe you are just not used to the wavies, so they tend to look "scruffy" to you? I can say that personally sulfate shampoos relax and "frizz" out my curl pattern, as does washing too frequently. I also recommend a scrunch air dry method with a T-shirt or micro fiber towel, because the terry cloth will also fuzz you out. I learned a lot from the curly girl method as well as the LOC method. It doesn't look bad at all, I will say that, so maybe it's a matter of getting used to your wavies
    Impatiently cruising to tailbone

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

When did you last clarify and chelate? When did you last do a hydrolysed protein treatment?

Serum is usually silicone based (artificial oils) plus you are adding a natural oil, both can weigh down/ straighten out weak waves.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

My hair tends to wurl and wave more when it has more damage and tends to fall straighter when healthier. I understand that completely.
    It is almost like the damage gives it a texture or something.
    Cones and serums do tend to pull me straighter, especially with a finish with a warm dryer, damage or not, so that can be another reason, although if my hair is damaged I get a frizzy canopy with the straighter bits, and when its healthier I don't get it as bad.

Hope this makes sense. I am exhausted today and not all there.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ErinLeigh View Post
    Hope this makes sense. I am exhausted today and not all there.
    (((hugs)))
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    24/31/37
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Oils and serums make my hair straight as well. For me, only using a wide tooth comb made a big difference. And not touching your hair when it's wet, as well.

Like lapushka said, you could check out the girly girl method. It helped a lot of wavy and curly people!