Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrunchies less damaging?

Length
    10 in/10 in/33 in
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Scrunchies less damaging?

Are scrunchies less damaging than hairties? i cant wear my hair up without scrunchies or hair ties right now and it is too short for me to braid (i am not skilled at braiding) I want to wear my hair up as it grows so i can go through my awkward phases easier. Plus ive noticed alot less damage by wearing it up.

Advice?
    ~chin~neck~shoulder length~collar bone length~ APL~ BSB~BSL~MBL~WL
    "And remember, as it was written, to love another person is to see the face of God." — Les Miserables

Length
    17.5"/18.5"/37
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Scrunchies Less damaging?

You and I, my friend, are in the same boat.
    Before my cut I used scrunchies (especially the satin ones) for years with no issues. Now, though, I kind of prefer pantyhose ties or those ribbon elastic thingies with the knot in them (no idea what the name is; I just know they're popular amongst the trendy set, or they were a year or two ago). They look a bit less "retro." lol. I haven't noticed damage with them, and they slide out easily. I just try not to tighten them too much.

Lady Ilmatar, Keeper of the Magical Menagerie, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Either will give you damage IME. No matter how soft and seamless, I had a line of breakage for using them which I could watch growing out after I stopped.

I'd look into learning the peacock twist for a style you can use before you have the length for a bun.

For braiding, you will likely be able to do pigtails before a single braid. You might try them for sleeping to get some practice. They look quite nice clipped up!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Yes, scrunchies are safe, especially those silky ones.

Also, look into ordinary claw clips. At shorter lengths they are great at keeping hair up and away from face.

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I used a scrunchie with soft fabric for several years while doing aerobic dance 3 times a week. I repeatedly tightened the pony without even realizing how often I was doing it. Well, it caused a lot of breakage that I am still growing out. Just FYI.

Length
    APL/APL/TBL!
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I LOVE my scrunchies. I wear them for braids allll the time. Claw clips saved my life when my hair was too short to put up with a hair fork (still too short to put up with a stick... grr).
    Ponytails aren't the safest option when it comes to putting your hair up so I understand the damage that lunalocks is referring to. If you can bun your hair then do it, claw clips are fantastic, and you could always ask someone else to help you with braids (you should tie off your braids with scrunchies as well). I think you have the length for a baby French braid, so you should see if anyone you know knows how to French braid.

Length
    10 in/10 in/33 in
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I usually use a bun, and i tried the pantyhose trick, love it!
    ~chin~neck~shoulder length~collar bone length~ APL~ BSB~BSL~MBL~WL
    "And remember, as it was written, to love another person is to see the face of God." — Les Miserables

Length
    Chin/WL/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Scrunchies are less damaging, and I'd say if you like them, feel free to use them freely. I think the thingies with knots in them are twistbands, by the way

Length
    24/31/37
    Type
    1c/F/ii

When my hair was short and I didn't have any hairtoys, I wore a bun with a scrunchie every single day, for a year. Didn't give me damage at all.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I've used scrunchi and still do and haven't noticed any damage. I wear a satin one and love it.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com