Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People telling me to cut my hair

Length
    neck/hip/long
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

Default People telling me to cut my hair

Hello everyone!

I would have had long hair years ago if I hadn't had so much negative feedback from the people around me, telling me to chop my hair off. It is my fault that I eventually did it every time but I am quite sure that I wouldn't have done it if I didn't hear how "good I look with short hair" all the time :/

Mostly it is my mother who starts talking about cutting my hair when it reach a certain length (this one, just at the shoulders, my hair is quite thick, has alot of volume/body and it looks the most awkward at this length). She pulls out pictures of "how good I looked with a short pixie", and goes on about it every now and then. But it's not just my mother, the female friends that I have had (and have) are also overly supportive about getting me to cut off my hair. I have always ended up cutting my hair after a while, a result of me turning their opinions into a little voice in my head saying: "I want to do it".

How do you all deal with people telling you to cut your hair? How do you avoid taking in the option and considering it? My hair is not long right now and I dislike this length, which usually means that I am more prone to just cut it off one day which I know I would regret.

Type
    2a/C/ii

Default Re: People telling me to cut my hair

It's your hair and you should not listen to somebody else and do thing you will regret. In the end, it's all about making YOURSELF happy, not somebody else!

That said, I know what you mean. If I told people I wanted to grow my hair until my hip, they started laughing with me. It doesn't 'fit' in this society and peoples reactions can be really mean sometimes. What helped me to not cut my hair, was watching other peoples pictures (yay for this forum!). I also made an account on tumblr to see long hair pictures and positive quotes. Surround yourself with positive thoughts. If someone gives critiques on your hair and wants you to cut it, tell them it's your decision and you won't change your mind and start talking about something else. Eventually they'll stop. At this point, I feed myself with negativity. If people tell me to cut my hair, I want to grow it even longer

And yes, APL hair definitely is a weird stage IMO. I had APL hair when I started growing my hair long. It's too long to wear it down because it gets in your eyes, too short for proper updo's. But when your hair grows, and it will, you can wear it up. It's all worth it in the end! I never thought I would get this far when I first started, and now the same people who used to laugh with me, give me compliments on my hair. You'll get there!

Length
    SL/APL/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

If someone tells me I should cut my hair to a pixie or just short in general. I tell them that I dislike shorter hair on myself and I prefer it long. I thank them for their opinion and do what makes ME happy. The awkward lengths are just something I accept. I tell myself it will grow and soon I will be beyond the awkwardness and I will be okay.
    3a-3b/C/iii
    SL-CBL-APL-MBL-WL-HL-BCL-CL
    Lady Addance of the Insightful Mind in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    12/28/*hip*
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I feel your pain! I look great with a bob, and thus have bobbed my hair many a time when I was in the awkward stages. What helped me to stop doing that was: 1) use the two week rule. Wanna cut? Okay, I can. After two weeks of thinking about it. Aaaaand out the window the pre-PMS impulse cuts went!
    2) I told my friends loud and clear that I wanted to grow my hair out long and that I rather have their help and support than their honest opinion of what looks nice on me. Which was very blunt. And also worked. I find that blunt works a charm, but then again most of my friends are as subtle as a brick through your windscreen.

Also, buy a pretty hairtoy you can grow into! I recently had a Wavering Moment, but looked at all my great faithful sticks and couldn't bear the thought of orphaning them.....

Length
    1.5"/40/41.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Yup, "Thanks for your opinion." PERIOD. Then tell yourself that you WANT and WILL HAVE loooong hair regardless of others opinions because that is what YOU want and you DESERVE to have YOUR hair YOUR way. 'Nuf said?
    Maintaining at Classic for awhile.
    Laydye Aurora of the Spynning Fybres in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    neck/hip/long
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

Thanks for your answers And believe me, I have told them several times that I didn't like the pixie cut on me (the short haircut I usually cut to is a bob) and that I want to save my hair out. My mother usually nevermind what I say and bring it up again and again and again. I've ignored her for years without that behaviour stopping. I don't know why she is so against long hair on me, she got long hair (MBL/WL) herself! >_>

I joined this site to get some more motivation, to surround myself with happy thoughts about long hair I have never bought any hairtoy before and I am very unsure of how to put them in, but I guess that is something you learn when your hair is long enough, maybe I should buy one and put it on my nightstand as motivation

I don't like to tell people how long I want to grow my hair because every time I tell them I want to have long hair they just say: "well, shoulder length isn't that bad on you, you could keep that"... I want it to be atleast MBL, when I told them that they just frowned and changed topic. I don't know why they don't like the thought of long hair on me. Maybe I should just avoid the topic as much as possible with people around me.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I'd make sure not to bring the topic up at all. People are weird about random goals (be it hair or working out or saving for a vacation) and I find it is easier to not share them until after I have accomplished what I am after. Hair is an odd enough goal, that I would only share it with other LHC-type folks. Other people usually just don't get it.

You'll likely find that if you can power past the awkward length, the comments should slow down a lot! Especially once you are able to put it up (which was the most annoying thing about that sort of length to me, always in the way!) If you keep cutting though, you will always fall into that awkward trap at a certain point.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Broken record technique, repeat the same sentence WHATEVER is said, repeat repeat repeat. Don't make a defensive statement but an assertive one "I have decided to grow my hair out", "I do not want to discuss this" or "It is MY hair". You could even attack "why don't you lose weight", "you should shave your head".
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out old fringe/ bangs. Three years Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but itching to trim.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Estrid View Post
    Thanks for your answers And believe me, I have told them several times that I didn't like the pixie cut on me (the short haircut I usually cut to is a bob) and that I want to save my hair out. My mother usually nevermind what I say and bring it up again and again and again. I've ignored her for years without that behaviour stopping. I don't know why she is so against long hair on me, she got long hair (MBL/WL) herself! >_>

I joined this site to get some more motivation, to surround myself with happy thoughts about long hair I have never bought any hairtoy before and I am very unsure of how to put them in, but I guess that is something you learn when your hair is long enough, maybe I should buy one and put it on my nightstand as motivation

I don't like to tell people how long I want to grow my hair because every time I tell them I want to have long hair they just say: "well, shoulder length isn't that bad on you, you could keep that"... I want it to be atleast MBL, when I told them that they just frowned and changed topic. I don't know why they don't like the thought of long hair on me. Maybe I should just avoid the topic as much as possible with people around me.
    Estrid, repeat after me "It's MY hair. I can do what I want with it! I am not here to decorate your world!"

As for hair toys, nothing could be easier than a Flexi-8. I'm not much on hairtoys, but I did love the 2 I purchased. Here's a link: http://www.flexi8.com/

Length
    neck/hip/long
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

Haha! I don't think I could attack someone unless I dislike them alot xD But I will try to stand my ground a bit better, or well, I do already say it pretty clear, I am sure I don't sound in doubt about it, but I need to get a bit more strong with myself so that I don't walk around thinking about it afterwards. It is ultimately my own thoughts that have made me cut my hair.

Those flexi-8s are kinda pretty, thanks for the link! ^^ I am a bit more earthy as a person though, they look a bit too sparkly for me Is it harder to use hairtoys made out of wood? I remember seeing some in a store and falling in love, I regret I didn't buy any